Home king Derby charters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home king Derby charters

I have a co-worker who is planning on fishing the Homer King derby; any charter recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

sigpic

I've been looking for anything that floats to take me out there Jay. These charter guys are doing so good the 25 to 30 k they would make on my 6 hour charter doesn't even interest them. Guess they keep pretty flush, getting blue hairs limits of ping pong paddles
    sigpic

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

gosh, bush, i would go get a guide license just to take you, but then i couldn't take my friends out for ping-pong paddles for free.....
      as to the OP's initial query, you need to get hold of the homer chamber of commerce and see who has space.
      the top dogs have been booked for nearly a year by now....
      Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
      http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

you mean the homer chamber of commerce actually refers other charter captains than mut? hmph!, the humanity!
        sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

No charter info on the chamber of commerce site, maybe one of the TOP DOGS will have a cancelation.
          Jay
          07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
          OurPlayground.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by breausaw View Post
            No charter info on the chamber of commerce site, maybe one of the TOP DOGS will have a cancelation.
            uh, call them on the phone.
            i know it's archaic, but it's what works....
            Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
            http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

I called up a few places but the prices I got were out of line. Seemed that neither operator really wanted to do it so they gave a super high price.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBroncoII View Post
                I called up a few places but the prices I got were out of line. Seemed that neither operator really wanted to do it so they gave a super high price.
                I don't charge any more just because it's the derby. The problem I find is people don't realize it costs $100 to enter the derby so they have to pay that on top of the charter price and I had one group cancel on me when they realized that.
                Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Comment

Seems like demand would justify a higher than normal price. Over 800 folks fished the derby last year and, from what I understand, most charters are booked well in advance. Simple economics dictates that they can charge a bit higher than normal since there is a lot of demand for limited slots. Of course, I don't know what you mean by a "super high price".

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                    Seems like demand would justify a higher than normal price. Over 800 folks fished the derby last year and, from what I understand, most charters are booked well in advance. Simple economics dictates that they can charge a bit higher than normal since there is a lot of demand for limited slots. Of course, I don't know what you mean by a "super high price".
                    Well, there are a few of us around that don't "gouge" people just because we can get away with it because of "demand".
                    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Comment

And hats off to you, Muttley. There are some who do charge more, though. I wouldn't call it gouging, though, to charge a fair price based on what the market will bear. It's the same reason that airlines charge more for flights to Alaska in July than they do in February, why many halibut charters run specials in May and September, and why there are clearance sales on winter gear popping up right about now.

Comment

Cheapest one I found was $550 a person. That's much higher than I had expected to pay. Seemed a little out of line on pricing considering cost of fuel, motel, derby entry. Looking at close to $1000 for the day. I opted out this year unless something comes up.

Comment

Booking?

Mutt, you gots any openin's? You gots a number?

Comment

Whoa...yeah, that's a bit steep, isn't it? I was figuring something along the lines of $250-300, but that shows what I know regarding charter prices.

Comment

Cheapest one I found was $550 a person. That's much higher than I had expected to pay. Seemed a little out of line on pricing considering cost of fuel, motel, derby entry. Looking at close to $1000 for the day. I opted out this year unless something comes up.
                              hey like I said before theres 30k on the table for the prudent charter skipper that wants to take me for a half day. Even better they get a photo op w/ me up on the winners podium....priceless
                              sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X