Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its all good Muttley,
    I don twant to get another "pissing" match started i just love good old friendly competition.
    besides i usually just get lucky anyway. Just ask Rolland on the River, still got his goat
    www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Muttley Crew Fishing;870452]Cut plugs work great, but I have a "secret weapon" that I like an awful lot (my profile picture was caught with one), so cut plugs are not an absolute necessity. I have heard of people using "Firetiger" Krockodiles very effectively and various other "rainbow" sort of spoons. I've also caught a few on "rainbow" TeeSpoons. Another good one is a "squid imitation" in the "glo" variety.

?? How can plastic improve on the real thing? Its impossible to improve on the "real thing" LOL
      In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

One of the neat things about the HWKD is that it's a one day deal. Anyone can win, and the odds are evened up just a little bit between the professionals and the amateurs when it's fishing for an 8 hour period. Contrast that with the Halibut Jackpot Derby, which runs all summer, and is highly slanted to the charter guys. Professional guides always have an edge, if for no other reason than the time they spend out there doing it. I'm cerainly not complaining. It's just the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
          SO........ How about a little forum "side bet" ??????????? beit for bragging rights, rep points, beer, or money????????
          commit on the bet, sign up, and largest fish take all, be it the podium fish or not, only certified weights available from the derby results. could do it as boat side bets are done with the derby or as individual persons. i know i spend more time running the boat than I do fishing..

Just a thought..
          Sounds good to me I say we have our own little derby. Nothing like a friendly little contest between anglers is there? let the games commence!
          sigpic

I'm taking a poll
          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
            Sounds good to me I say we have our own little derby. Nothing like a friendly little contest between anglers is there? let the games commence!
            Dang Fullbush, your gonna freeze your cahones off if your taking the craft in your new avatar, gonna give us all a chance and use a cane pole too i suppose!
            www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
              Dang Fullbush, your gonna freeze your cahones off if your taking the craft in your new avatar, gonna give us all a chance and use a cane pole too i suppose!
              Hey I'm all about fair play! I had to come up w/ something to fish the derby, my in-box isn't exactly runneth over w/ invitations.:whistle: I can't very well drag the gillnetter all the way down to Homer for one measly 50,000 dollar fish, now can I?
              sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Originally posted by Homertime View Post
                One of the neat things about the HWKD is that it's a one day deal. Anyone can win, and the odds are evened up just a little bit between the professionals and the amateurs when it's fishing for an 8 hour period. Contrast that with the Halibut Jackpot Derby, which runs all summer, and is highly slanted to the charter guys. Professional guides always have an edge, if for no other reason than the time they spend out there doing it. I'm cerainly not complaining. It's just the nature of the beast.
                Charter operators are not allowed to fish in the Jackpot Halibut Derby even if they go out by themselves on a day off. Obviously your chances of catching a BIG halibut are increased by fishing with a charter operation, but since that's what the majority of people do it might increase your odds. The nice thing about the derby is there are over a hundred tagged fish out there and all it takes to catch one of them is being in the right place at the right time. And all the tagged fish are in the 10 lb. range so it doesn't take knowing any special secrets to catching one. And you don't have to go far to find them. I caught a 2008 tagged fish this year about 12 miles from the end of the Spit (it wasn't worth anything, but it would have been worth $1000 two years ago) and I do know there were a few caught off of Seldovia this summer. Sorry for the slight hijack here, but I wanted to answer to that "guide advantage" thing.

Also, when it comes to the Winter King Derby it is no secret where the charter operators are fishing. I was out by 4th of July most of the day last year and I bet I counted at least 30 diffferent charter boats circling around the area. They may have "special methods" they employ to get fish, but there really aren't any "REAL" secret weapons and if you have the slightest clue what you're doing out there and you're in the right place at the right time you're going to catch that big fish.
                Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Comment

Hey 270ti you need to come up and fish this derby w/ me. You could put your hand trolling skiff on the ferry I know the kings in Homer are feeders and kind of nasty but we may as well collect our prize money and kiss a few hippie chicks on the podium
                  sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

http://www.homeralaska.org/winterkin...erby/index.htm
                    FYI
                    sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Did you find a ride for the derby, fullbush? I sure hope so, since the more participants there are the larger my share of the winnings will be. Onward to victory! (and a nice white king sushi roll for dinner, as well)

Comment

I as of yet have not been offered a ride! I'm thinking of going down the weekend of the 12th w/ my wife and try to charter the mut or someone else but they all seem pretty busy. I'm about to offer an unprecedented 35 % and of course accompany me on the podium :whistle:
                        sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X