Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homer King Derby

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Careful Brian,
    I like 12 year old scotch......it might get kinda spendy.....:topjob:
    I didn't say that you get to choose what I buy.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by fullbush View Post
      Actually I disagree. Mut seems like a peaceful enough guy and I know I am. I think we'd knock the bottom out of the king salmon population is what I think.
      Fullbush
      I could go with as well. Being a Marine we could always board other boats and ....... Also Bush i have have had training in beach landings so we could launch an assault on the docks NO NO NO if i were with we would be safe from Pirates.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Brian M View Post
        I didn't say that you get to choose what I buy.
        All good Brian......You will have your choice whatever that may be.....

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
          Fullbush
          I could go with as well. Being a Marine we could always board other boats and ....... Also Bush i have have had training in beach landings so we could launch an assault on the docks NO NO NO if i were with we would be safe from Pirates.
          Yes I having a Marine onboard may prove valuable you never know how the mut will react when I hook the prize on a vibrax, trolling right along side his plug cut herring.
          sigpic




          I'm taking a poll
          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mark Collett View Post
            Who's going to be at the Pre-Tourney social Friday nite ?Can't remember the name of the bar but it was a lot of fun a couple years ago when we were there.Any taker's or just a lot talkers? :nyanya:
            The Salty Dog?

            Comment


            • #36
              T.R.
              You gonna make it down ? I'm buying dude >.........roud:

              Comment


              • #37
                SO........ How about a little forum "side bet" ??????????? beit for bragging rights, rep points, beer, or money????????
                commit on the bet, sign up, and largest fish take all, be it the podium fish or not, only certified weights available from the derby results. could do it as boat side bets are done with the derby or as individual persons. i know i spend more time running the boat than I do fishing..

                Just a thought..
                www.polebendersfishing.com

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
                  SO........ How about a little forum "side bet" ??????????? beit for bragging rights, rep points, beer, or money????????
                  commit on the bet, sign up, and largest fish take all, be it the podium fish or not, only certified weights available from the derby results. could do it as boat side bets are done with the derby or as individual persons. i know i spend more time running the boat than I do fishing..

                  Just a thought..
                  Not to be a stick in the mud here, but I think making monetary bets on a public forum like this would be considered illegal. I could be wrong, but it sure would suck for someone to get in trouble for illegal gambling. I know the King Derby has to get a permit to allow the prizes and entry fees and I have a feeling someone getting wind of people "betting" on something like this without obtaining a permit first might be trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
                  Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                  http://muttleycrewfishing.com

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I have never fished this derby, but was thinking about it. Getting a little ancy to play in the salt. Could someone give me a few pointers on tactics?

                    Is this strickly a cut plug trolling event off the bluff? Is jigging effective at all for winter kings?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I'll bet somebody $10 that Muttley is wrong

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Stranded_Herp View Post
                        I have never fished this derby, but was thinking about it. Getting a little ancy to play in the salt. Could someone give me a few pointers on tactics?

                        Is this strickly a cut plug trolling event off the bluff? Is jigging effective at all for winter kings?
                        Cut plugs work great, but I have a "secret weapon" that I like an awful lot (my profile picture was caught with one), so cut plugs are not an absolute necessity. I have heard of people using "Firetiger" Krockodiles very effectively and various other "rainbow" sort of spoons. I've also caught a few on "rainbow" TeeSpoons. Another good one is a "squid imitation" in the "glo" variety.

                        Generally speaking you'll want to troll in about 70 ft. of water with your offering about 35 ft. down, but this is just a general rule. I've caught them in 120 ft. 70 ft. down, and in 35 ft. and 15 ft. down. Look of bait on your fishfinder. That's what the kings are after.

                        And The Bluffs is only one of about a dozen or more places to try. Just about any rocky point from Bear Cove out to Pogi holds feeders, and quite a few places around the islands. Don't limit yourself to one place. The kings will go where the bait is and if there isn't bait somewhere chances are there won't be many kings.
                        Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                        http://muttleycrewfishing.com

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Thanks. Good information.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
                            Not to be a stick in the mud here, but I think making monetary bets on a public forum like this would be considered illegal. I could be wrong, but it sure would suck for someone to get in trouble for illegal gambling. I know the King Derby has to get a permit to allow the prizes and entry fees and I have a feeling someone getting wind of people "betting" on something like this without obtaining a permit first might be trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
                            In case I am wrong in my statement, it could be for bragging rights, rep points or just plain FUN..
                            doesn't sound like too many are interested anyway?
                            www.polebendersfishing.com

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Stranded_Herp View Post
                              I have never fished this derby, but was thinking about it. Getting a little ancy to play in the salt. Could someone give me a few pointers on tactics?

                              Is this strickly a cut plug trolling event off the bluff? Is jigging effective at all for winter kings?
                              200+ boats. 800+ anglers. Usually 80-150 fish reported landed. Many off the bluffs. Many around Pogi. Other places inside the bay as well. I've never jigged for them. Don't know anyone who has. A "stationary" boat would be somewhat of a PITA in the middle of the trolling fleet. I personally have never had much luck during the derby, usually falling in with the 85-90% group, but I enjoy the day. I'm guessing the vast majority drag troll herring behind flashers of some sort. It's a nice little "shot of economy" for Homer.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
                                In case I am wrong in my statement, it could be for bragging rights, rep points or just plain FUN..
                                doesn't sound like too many are interested anyway?
                                I guess the reason I'm just really not that interested in doing something like that is because I just find there are a few too many people on this forum that think "winning" some sort of forum contest like that would be a good excuse for putting other people down that they don't like for some odd reason and it kind of becomes a pissing match as so many of these threads turn out when it comes to "my fish are better than your fish" discussions.

                                I would love the notoriety of winning the derby because I'm sure it would help my business and it's kind of nice knowing you've caught the biggest fish out of all those people---and I can assure you I'd love to have that prize money in my pocket---but I don't do it because I want everyone to think I am the greatest and some sort of fishing god. Honestly, not to be a stick in the mud, but it just doesn't float my boat. I liked the "guess the kenai king count" contest because it was just a fun sort of contest and really didn't prove anything, and I sure loved taking the winner out for his prize, and plan on following suit next year if I can fish for halibut, but I KNOW there are guys on this forum that if they caught the biggest fish, or a "money" fish, we (and especially I) would never hear the end of it. We all know who those guys are.

                                I'll be more than happy to just let the results of the actual derby speak for themselves. It takes a certain degree of skill to be able to catch winter kings, but catching the biggest one really, when you come right down to it, takes a pretty good degree of luck, too. There really is no formula as to where the biggest fish is going to be hanging out on any given day---I've caught 20 plus pounders everywhere from Bear Cove to Pogi---so there certainly is a certain degree of luck in just being in the right place at at the right time.
                                Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
                                http://muttleycrewfishing.com

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X