Burbot fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burbot fishing

Fishing is tough when you have to put up with scenery like this.

The Burbot were big and plentiful.

I hear burbot is the poor mans lobster. I caught one on Montana Creek one time, it was nasty and it stunk some horrible. If it tastes anything like Ling Cod it cant be that bad.
    sigpic

Comment

Burbot

The burbot I've eaten from the Tanana and Yukon were as good as Halibut and nearly as good as a Minnesota Walleye.

Comment

Poor mans lobster

It is poors mans lobster and its soooooo good, I could eat that stuff all day! A friend and I pulled some nice fish ranging from about 30-32in this year during the winter. Cooked those babies up....good eating right there!!
        sigpic
        "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
        The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

burbot are really tasty

hello burbot fishers
          i am the bubotmaster ,i fish on the chisana river and i have caught some really big fish and even state records for alaska,the fish are ugly but they taste good.....cut them up in 1inch squares and a little flour and season and but that in a little oil and bang you got dinner ...add a beer or two ,then you have dinner for two..mark
          Last edited by Webmaster; 10-19-2007, 07:43. Reason: language

Comment

Howdy Stu

Wish we had burbot here in our river...

Hey, them new 35 horse shallow drive are just super nice motors for our shallow and silty water, we had a ton of fun with them, thanks for your great service and patience with not so smart folks

Comment

check this burbot

here is one a buddy of mine caught
              Attached Files

Comment

That is one huge burbot!
                http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Great photos...thanks for posting. Were they caught with rod and reel or set line?

TSS
                  sigpic
                  Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                  www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

methods

I moved up here in December of last year. I really want to do some burbot fishing this winter. I am from Arkansas and have never fished for them, someone told me I can catch them just like I catch catfish back home. How true is that. I would appreciate it if anyone can offer advice on tactics,gear, tips, and patterns of the fish. I am not asking for a place to catch them. People should earn their own fish!! Thanks for any info.
                    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Comment

ahhhhhh, burby season is coming fast, I can't wait! I like to fish them after the first of the year, brrrrrrrrr.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ARKY View Post
                        I moved up here in December of last year. I really want to do some burbot fishing this winter. I am from Arkansas and have never fished for them, someone told me I can catch them just like I catch catfish back home. How true is that. I would appreciate it if anyone can offer advice on tactics,gear, tips, and patterns of the fish. I am not asking for a place to catch them. People should earn their own fish!! Thanks for any info.

That is right. but for stink bait I use old roe instead of chicken livers.
                        It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I fish board traps overnight. I can't remember off the top of my head how many you can fish? You have to check them next day.

I use 2x4s cut about 12 inches long. I tie a small line to that. I put a leader on that line with a big hook. I put old smelt or troll herring on the hook. I come back in the morning and beat the ice off the 2x4 and open the hole back up. Pull it in and see if you have a burbot.

I hear on Big lake you can jig them as you can't baitfish. Also your name and address must be written on the traps.

Comment

you have to check the regs because set lines are not leagal every where.

Comment

Great pic everyone.
                              Living the Alaskan Dream
                              Gary Keller
                              Anchorage, AK

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X