Shrimp Pot Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp Pot Style

I will be purchasing 5 new shrimp pots for the new season. I like the round type with the soft netting mainly because I can nest these while transporting them on the boat. Has anyone heard that this type of pot will not be allowed a few years from now?

Thanks
    Henry

No

I have heard nothing no banning some types of pots. You would not believe how many types of pots are out there. Some people even use old crab pots recovered with 1" netting.

There is one law change coming after the 1st of the year. Rigid metal wire pots are going to have a new opening size covered with rotten cotton. The original regulations were for netting. Now that the popularity of the metal wire traps has increased it was felt that a little larger opening was needed.

I have seen both used. I actually feel that the baskets out preformed the metal wire traps. The metal wire ones require less maintainence and might be easier to use. Myself if I can locate a roll of wire would like to make my own.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
      I will be purchasing 5 new shrimp pots for the new season. I like the round type with the soft netting mainly because I can nest these while transporting them on the boat. Has anyone heard that this type of pot will not be allowed a few years from now?

Thanks
      Henry
      Haven't heard anything about certain pots becoming illegal.

I prefer the basket type pots as well, but check out this thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=2981

...as the guy is from Alaska and might save you some on shipping.

Comment

AlaskaM5,
        I'm the local shrimp pot builder, i'm located in palmer and will have plenty of pots available for the shrimping season. If you have any questions please pm me.
        sigpic
        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
        Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
        alaskashrimppots.com
        akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
        907 775 1692

Comment

I'm going to the soft round mess ones just for easier transport and storage. I have 5 metal square ones and they work great but they get in the way allot.
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

Comment

rigging the pots

All, I am in the process of buying some pots to use in the sound. How about the rigging, floats, etc., what do you use or recommend.

Comment

Stuff

What I use is 600 feet of 3/8" braided line. My bouy is round about 12-14". You have to have your some personal information writen on the bouy. The traps should have a quick release snap that hooks over the line.

DO NOT use floating poly! Some people use it and your boating along and there sits 100' of floating poly out from the bouy that your not looking for. My line could float so 100' down the line I have a 1 lb. sinker to keep it down.

Some people use small plactic bait containers, I don't, I use discarded fish from the cleaning stations. Some people use commercial shrimp bait. If you are close enough to town to buy in bulk not a bad idea.

Send 10 shrimp from each pot to my address (frozen) for testing to make sure of that they are of the highest quality. I do not charge for this service.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Dave, questions

12 to 14 inch ball...have you had any trouble with tides?
                600 feet of line regardless of the pot depth? Is this to add scope to the line? Do you gang the pots? If so how far apart?
                The weight 100 feet down the line is a good idea, tx.
                As to the shrimp fee, good luck there, I do appreciate the info, however....

Comment

Shrimping

You will need a depth finder. Nothing like dropping 600 feet of gear into 1,200 foot of water. Really ruins your day. Too much line is better than not enough. (Look on Ebay for line) I like 200-350 foot of water. I place the first pot deepest and run towards shore, placing pots about 50-70 feet apart. Last pot is shallowest and means less line back to the top. Which ever pot has the best harvest on the next pull, I target that depth and run parallel to shore at that depth. Tides are not a problem as long as you have enough line. Only once I sank my bouy 2 feet below the surface. At low tide it was visiable again. Fishing for shrimp has three rules to be successfull. Location, location, location.

Here ya go:

1. Peel shrimp and coat with egg white.
                  2. Dip into flour.
                  3. Re-dip in the egg.
                  4. Dip into small crushed pieces of coconut.
                  5. Saute in a sauce pan with a little oil.
                  6. When the coconut starts to turn golden brown, remove and place on a paper towel.
                  7. Eat.

This is bad food.......once your hooked ya won't stop shrimping.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Obviously you always want more line than the depth you are dropping, extra ensures that if your pots move a little for some reason then your bouy won't go under. There is alot of water out of Whittier that is in excess of 600' so a good chart is also helpful. I use 600' of line as well and will probably go deeper now that I have a puller. Not to many people will tell you much more than to use 600' of line. I haven't done as well as others that have more experience so I guess doing it and trying different things is what you'll have to do. It would be nice if anyone would share their average depth they set but its understandable I suppose if you don't want to. I made up 3-50' lines that I use to set between my pots. I use 2-600' lengths, 1 with 2 pots, 2nd with 3 pots. By using the 50' lines you still have 600' on your main line. I have 3 soft sided pots and 2 hard sided pots, still undecided which I prefer. Good luck, it has taken me alot of trial and error and I'm still not where I would like to be.

Comment

Coconut shrimp

Dave

That is the same recipe we use on Halibut and Salmon...My son brought it home from Simon's in Anchorage a few years ago, it is bad food!

AKbighorn, There is an old State PWS shrimp study, 20 years or so, out on the net. It is worth a read if you are interested in depths etc.

Cold water seems to be one of the key elements in shrimp habitat.

Thank you for the info, I am looking forward to April 15, and not because its tax day.

Gary

Comment

Structure

Structure also seems to be a key. In muddy areas I get few. Steep, rocky drop offs, I seem to do better. There is usually large rocks down there to provide cover for the shrimp. Also in Shrimp areas, yellow eye seem to be hanging around as the shrimp are a major food source for them. Yellow eye are also a major foor source for me. Love them in a little butter and garlic.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Structure/pots

Then its acceptable for the pots to end up on there sides, tops etc.?? Also, someone suggested covering a couple of the pot surfaces with landscaping mat to encourage entry, whats your take on this technique?

Comment

Sides

The shrimp don't care how they get to a free meal. Yes you can cover the sides but READ the regulations on how much you can cover. Also rad the new requirement on escape mechanism. Many pot do not meet the requirement.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Pot selection

I have decided on the wire traps built locally. They meet all the current regulatory requirements. I have the rule here on my desk, so once I get the traps, if I decide to cover them, I will ensure the cover is legal. I assume covers add drag and make the pots heavier in the water. I have a pot puller on my boat, so hopefully that should not be an issue for me.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X