Steelheads in Cowee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelheads in Cowee?

Anyone from Juneau know if any Steelheads are running up Cowee Creek near Echo right now? Is there much snow out that way still?

the road is open... I drove out to echo cove on Monday

Comment

Do any crabbing out there?

Comment

I don't but a lot of people do. Always tons of dungee pots out there.

Comment

Yeah I am one of those folks, I just haven't gotten down there yet this year. Was wondering if you had any luck if you went.

Comment

my guess is no
            I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Depends

The regs say yes, experience tells me no. That's why Peterson gets hit so hard. Most creeks around here probably get a few steelhead but there are only a couple creeks with runs work targeting.
              I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

cowee has a steelhead run, should be around about now...but watch out for bears.

Comment

I gurantee there are Steelies in Cowee right now.

Cowee gets around the same size run as Peterson - The reason Peterson gets hit hard is because the system is smaller and closer (easier to target the fish).

Theres also a handful of other creeks on the road system that gets a run of Steelies if you know where to look...

Comment

No big runs

2 yrs ago i spent an entire day lurking the banks of Cowee. I never saw a fish and havent tried there again. My only Steelhead experience has been on the Situk in April and May so it's tuff to get excited with anything the Juneau road system offers. I guess it would make it that much more rewarding to get one here though, and I know that some people know where/how to fish em and are successful every year.

Comment

Originally posted by LungShot View Post
                      2 yrs ago i spent an entire day lurking the banks of Cowee. I never saw a fish and havent tried there again. My only Steelhead experience has been on the Situk in April and May so it's tuff to get excited with anything the Juneau road system offers. I guess it would make it that much more rewarding to get one here though, and I know that some people know where/how to fish em and are successful every year.

Yeah the Situk has jaded me as well on the Juneau road system Steelheading...

Comment

They do exist...

....They do exist.....

Comment

Pulled a nice steelhead out of peterson two days ago. Unfortunatly I had no one to snap the photo for me, so this was the 10 seconds it was out o the water. Cowee is super hard to fish for steelhead. Lots o' deep holes. Must take a lifetime to get your spots down.
                          super nice fish, onelung

Comment

Dang...Both are great looking fish! Hope to get into some tommarow.

Fish On!
                            You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by epw View Post

Pulled a nice steelhead out of peterson two days ago. Unfortunatly I had no one to snap the photo for me, so this was the 10 seconds it was out o the water. Cowee is super hard to fish for steelhead. Lots o' deep holes. Must take a lifetime to get your spots down.
                              super nice fish, onelung

Ditto on yours!

That ground looks vaugley familiar...

Wanna go out sometime, hit me up! Doing a lot of runs up Berner's this summer...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X