Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the russian river campground built?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When was the russian river campground built?

    Just curious if anyone has any good info about when it was built and if it has been added to or expanded over the years. Thanks!

  • #2
    Mid 60s

    My dad helped design, survey and build that campground in 1965, 66 or 67, I believe (I was a little kid, so I don't remember the exact year). He was an engineer with the USFS.

    I do remember that when they were building it they had to shut down work for a few days because they found a human skull.

    Comment


    • #3
      It has been expanded a few times. I used to go there with my family when I was little in the 1960s. We have a bunch of old photos of the area back then and there is very little development and no people along the river during the peak of the red run......imagine that. Have grown up in southcentral and I've been a regular on the river since the '60s. I've seen more than one construction/expansion project on that facility. I do not know when the inital campground was built or when the road was punched in from the highway.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can remember walking up and down the hill with stairways. Yea. Lot's few people back then! I mean a whole lot less. Those were the days!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks I am doing a report on the area for my english class so all the info is appriciated!

          Comment


          • #6
            I arrived in 1976. Back then the area that is over flow parking now was a dirt pull out and pretty much a free for all. It was not managed by an independent comapny then wither. I believe the F.S did it then. I dont believe the entrance and exit were near as nice as now. There were no stairs from the campgrounds to the river. It was criss cross the hill all the way down and of course back up. There were no boardwalks, cleaning tables, stairs leading into the river or anything. With all the foot traffic now though the boardwalks and stairs have helped the river and bank restoration very much. The russian lakes trail was a great adventure back then. I walked it the first time with my dad as a 12 year old just up from Texas. No gun just walking looking for the river or trying to hear it. yes we were stupid and lucky. We did find the river and slayed the reds and learned so much that 1st trip. June 26th, 1976 to be exact. Some sites have been upgraded since then but Red salmon loop still has the smallest sites. hope this helps
            Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

            Comment


            • #7
              My uncle commanded the communications detachment at Seward in the late 30's and early 40's. He was here to visit in 1998 and we stopped at the Russian River. He told us about the trips the army ran from Seward and Anchorage via railroad to Lawing and then by boat to the confluence of the Russian and the Kenai to fish for reds. Sounded like it was a pretty big deal with tents and latrines and all.

              does anyone have some pictures or other details about this??

              Comment


              • #8
                Great info guys! Keep it coming! Thanks! If anyone has old pictures or maps they can post, that would be awesome!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Go to the Forest service

                  Originally posted by AKz06 View Post
                  Great info guys! Keep it coming! Thanks! If anyone has old pictures or maps they can post, that would be awesome!
                  Ask for information, surveys, as-builts, statistics, etc. bet they would help you out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Photos and maps......

                    try looking at this link:

                    http://vilda.alaska.edu/

                    Its got a pretty good collection of historical photos. Might be something there for the Russian....

                    Cheers!

                    Jake

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I sent you a PM. My husband works in the area with the Forest Service.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In about 1969 (or there abouts), the campground was little more than a couple of ruts leading to the river from the road. You had to park in the mud, after you hacked out a spot from the brush growning up the year before. Then along came the Russian River Fire. There were two Army Battalions from Ft. Rich and a couple hundred firefighters working for BLM that staged operations from there. The big circle that is still a fixture in the campground was the LZ that got dozed out, for the choppers. Back then we used Hueys to ferry the firefighters. The Army Combat Engineers did a whole bunch of dozing that summer. Opened the place right up and pretty much made it what it is today. The Forest Service allowed some of the dozed up areas to grow back, instead of keeping them cleared, in Forest Service Fashion. It could have been better, if they would have let it develop as it was designed by the LT, from the Army. This young LT had vision, something the beauracrats from the Forest Service lack. If anything, you should be very critical of the Forest Service in their mishandling of the entire campground and surrounding area. We actually had quasi roads leading into the back country to serve as transportation corridors for the Armored Personnel Carriers.
                        Fishing was great that year, it was closed to the general public and with hundreds of hungry men to feed, we filled water buffalo's with reds and had the cooks clean and cook them. It has seen improvements and increased use each year since then. But this does not expain when it was designated as an official access point to the river. The old original ferry is still in the back of the cafe there in Cooper Landing. If you get down that way, you could take some pics and make a photo essay out of your report.
                        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great report AKRES. The original ferrys is sitting of to the right side of Gwins in cooper landing. I thought I had a pitcure of it but i guess not
                          Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing to do with the campground, but another bit of trivia, that you might not read in the Forest Service History Books, is how during the fire, with the massive amount of manpower at hand, these guys went down to the creek and cleared out hundreds of years worth of deadfalls from the water channel. It was choked up real bad and walking along it was all but impossible. Since that time, I have noticed there are a few places needing it again. Think the Forest Service will provide or even allow that to happen?
                            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Give the folks at the Seward Ranger District of the Forest Service a call- they're the agency that manages the site. (907) 224-3374.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X