How to kill an octopus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill an octopus?

Ok, so I tell my son that the forum folks have me conviced I really need to eat the next octopus we catch in the shrimp pot.....and he says "so, uh, how do we kill an octopus, we could whack it but the head's kind of slimy and big, where's the brain? Or, do we stick a knife somewhere? Or, just start cutting it up?

And I say "sounds like a forum thread"....so how do you kill an octopus?

Worked for me

I had one wrapped up in a shrimp pot last season and after I lost patience trying to get him out I stuck a fillet knife in the top of his hood, he went limp as a noodle. I assume it would work again but others may have a better way. Good eating by the way!!

Comment

this is one way.

years ago when i used to dive monterey bay i would take an occasional octopus.. the traditional portugese method (or so i was told) is to bite them on the nerve center between the eyes. i recall one time i brought a small octo up and when i was at the surface got my buddy's attention and said "hey, watch this!" bit it and he nearly choked on his regulator... later when we were in the parking lot and our cooler of fish was open with the octo on top a nice family of tourists with 4 teen and pre-teen daughters came by :eek:.. "oooh... it's moving!!" "whoops, here... CHOMP!".."EEEEK!!!"
      priceless.
      Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
      http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

I imagine you could just wack it on the head with your fish bonker to kill it. I caught a little one while halibut fishing years ago, I cut off pieces of the legs and used it for bait, it worked pretty good
        Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Thanks Dave.....

now we'll probably have to draw straws to see who gets the first bite:eek:

So, Hoose, did cutting the legs off work to kill it or work for halibut bait??

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
            years ago when i used to dive monterey bay i would take an occasional octopus.. the traditional portugese method (or so i was told) is to bite them on the nerve center between the eyes. i recall one time i brought a small octo up and when i was at the surface got my buddy's attention and said "hey, watch this!" bit it and he nearly choked on his regulator... later when we were in the parking lot and our cooler of fish was open with the octo on top a nice family of tourists with 4 teen and pre-teen daughters came by :eek:.. "oooh... it's moving!!" "whoops, here... CHOMP!".."EEEEK!!!"
            priceless.
            That is so funny... and apparently true! :eek:
            How to kill an octopus.
            Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Wyo2AK

Great video, I gotta try that.....I guess the tentacles won't grab your face and not let go!

Comment

My friend from Hawaii just picked it up and bit it between the eyes. Dead as a door nail.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

Comment

I turn the mantle inside out and pull and cut out the innards. they are a little bit of work but i really like eating them and am glad when i get one in a pot.

Comment

The pros cut the beak out...

Flip it over, cut the beak out with a sharp knife. Don't bonk it or stab it unless you want ink spooge all over.

Comment

Kids and octopus

If you have kids don't kill it right away. Place it into a cooler with a lid. Let it alone for 2-3 minutes and then peek in. "Usually" they will change color close to the color of the cooler. Then place a few colored objects in there that are darker. Repeat the process. The octopus should adjust his color to the surrounding conditions. Next pick it up and hold two legs apart spreading it out. New color, RED.

Which you might be too if someone had you held in the air with your legs spread apart.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

killing an octo

I used to do alot of long lining when we would catch a octopus we would gaf him in the head and cut all of his legs off that pretty much incapacitates him
                        great halibut bait once you bait the octopus on you can catch up 4 or five halibut before you have to put on a new piece
                        real tuff bait

Comment

Or just cut off 4 of the 8 legs. They will regenerate and it the octo lives on. Or if small and want the whole thing, put in a large ziplock. They just simply suffacate. Mostly I would just cut off 4 of the legs.

Carefull picking them up. They are mushy and I had one bite the the edge of my finger nail.

Comment

We caught one last year in a pot. It was so large it filled more then half of the pot. We ended up cutting off all the legs. They were squirming around for at least two hours, they were even tied up in a trash bag in a cooler. So I guess I'll try taking a bite out of them next time, lol.

Comment

No, cutting off the legs didn't kill it, actually the legs still moved after being cut off, this is why I think it worked so good as bait
                              Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X