Question for Juneau fishermen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Juneau fishermen

My boss called me about 10 minutes ago (2:30pm) 4/9 and told me he is standing down at Auke Bay watching a school of fish a ways off shore. He said they are just going back and forth and just breaking the surface of the water here and there. He said they looked like kings to him. The school must be pretty large because 7 to 8 of these fish keep breaking the surface constantly. Any body have any clue what he is seeing?

Herring? Maybe I'll go take a look after the hockey game
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

The herring are in strong right now. Would be sweet if there were kings in too. I got to go check out the herring opener in Sitka the other week. There were schools acting like that, just bubbling at the surface of the water. Did he actually get a good look at the fish jumping?

Comment

Not Herring. Definetly bigger. Salmon sized. Not jumping just cresting out of the water.

Comment

Alright LungShot.....Don't go getting my hopes up.

Comment

There were some halibut doing that surface thing just outside of Windham yesterday. Could be flatties.

-Case
            M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanCanCase View Post
              There were some halibut doing that surface thing just outside of Windham yesterday. Could be flatties.

-Case
              It would be sweet to catch buts on dry flies!!!
              sigpic
              www.arcticangler.ca
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

I dunno

I guess it could be halibut. The behavior he described sounded almost like pre spawning salmon but I dont think thats possible in early April. Maybe... just maybe his depth perception is out of wack and he was seeing herring that were much closer than he thought making them look like larger fish further away.... maybe. Being almost even with the water level it's sometimes hard to judge distance.

Comment

Knowing the area my guess would be herring or halibut as we've all described.... I'll be South of town for most of May, and I'm hoping to see much of this behavior... solo-ing the boat lends itself to throwing flies rather than long hours trolling. Sight fishing for halibut... I love it!

-Case
                  M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
                  sigpic

Comment

I took a look, did not see anything. My money is on Herring or Porpoises
                    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

I think it's more likely that they are the Penguins doing their spring migration!!!!
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Salmon sharks....Definately......

Comment

It sounds like everbody is getting King fever....I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                            I think it's more likely that they are the Penguins doing their spring migration!!!!

They should be running up cook inlet soon. Time to get my penguin 8wt ready

Oh come on sunshine and spring
                            Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Monkey nailed it

Porpoises for sure. I had him explain it detail to me. The fin on the back ruled out halibut and the fact he only ever saw backs, no head, which is exactly how Porpoises break pretty much explains it all. Definetly further out than he originally explained too.

Although... the giant alaskan penguins have started their spring run early so you never know.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X