Help me ID this fish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID this fish.

I foul hooked this fish while pike fishing Minto Flats last year. Anyone have any idea what it is? Had a very small mouth like a carp, I thought it might be a shee fish but the mouth seems too small.
    Thanks in advance.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Looks like a nice big whitefish to me.
    Sheefish have pretty big good sized mouths.
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

that is a nice white fish.. great smoked. or fried. a staple in many places around the state.
      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Thanks guys, I will try the next one I catch. I released that one since I snagged him in the back, only fair.

Steve

Comment

I googled it to see if I could find another white fish and it's it to the T.
          http://www.higginslakerealestate.com..._28_inches.jpg
          Lurker.

Comment

you will also find them with a large hump across the shoulders, and head down low. i think that is from the diet and the waters they are in when like that but the same thing...
            "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

yep

thats my guess too. white fish and a hog at that :cool:.

Comment

beadhead nymphs are often the ticket for whitefish, also small chartruse beads on occasion
                I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

looks like a nice chunk of pike or lake trout bait to me
                  sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

That's the biggest whitefish I have seen in my 45+ years in AK. Did it fight much?

Comment

That thing fought like a giant pike. It was hooked just behind the head in the top of the back. I was unable to turn his head because of the way it was hooked. Took me several minutes to bring it to the boat. We caught over a 100 pike that day as well.

Thanks again, will be fishing time again soon.

Steve

Comment

Thats a monster white fish.

I think the ones with humps are a different type of white fish.

Comment

Ladies and Gentleman... That there is a Broad Whitefish... They use to be more common then they are today and they are very very good to eat.... Better then walleye... Hence they are fished for quite commonly from the Kuskokwim drainages north... They also are long lived and it is not uncommon for then to reach the age of 30... There are freshwater forms and anadromous forms too...

Here is a typical Broad Whitefish from Whitefish Lake 20 miles West of Aniak, AK.

Here is one on the largest Broads measured for scientific purposes in the last 40-50 years.. 670mmm
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
                            I googled it to see if I could find another white fish and it's it to the T.
                            http://www.higginslakerealestate.com..._28_inches.jpg
                            The above picture is either a lake whitefish or a humpback whitefish.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TYNMON View Post
                              Ladies and Gentleman... That there is a Broad Whitefish... They use to be more common then they are today and they are very very good to eat.... Better then walleye... Hence they are fished for quite commonly from the Kuskokwim drainages north... They also are long lived and it is not uncommon for then to reach the age of 30... There are freshwater forms and anadromous forms too...

Here is a typical Broad Whitefish from Whitefish Lake 20 miles West of Aniak, AK.

Here is one on the largest Broads measured for scientific purposes in the last 40-50 years.. 670mmm

Man that thar is a chunk O whitefish.

I used to fish Lake Whitefish in Georgian Bay of Lake Huron.
                              We routinely caught fish in the 8 to 10 pound class, with the world record being about 14 1/2 pounds out of the bay. :eek:
                              sigpic
                              www.arcticangler.ca
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X