hex bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hex bars

anyone use these for lings or halibut? http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=606 cant get more simple than a piece of bar cut to size and add a hook. kodiak custom tackle uses bars as well. anyone make there own out of round bar stock? the flat sides of the hex gives off flat surfaces for flash im thinking the logic is but a round bar will do the same although the flash might be a little narrower. unless you go for the glow then shape dosent matter too much . 45s on the top and bottom will give you some darting action.

Stainless API rings

I make jigs out of API rings here on the drilling rigs. They are already curved, stainless, and heavy. Work great on Lings, bass, and H-but so far.
    I have been told to solder a piece of zinc on one end and a piece of copper wire on the oppisite side and end. This supposedly sets up a small field of current that simulates a wounded baitfish, like the e-chips used in jigs currently. Sounds good, but I haven't tried it yet. Got the idea from the skipper of the Dragonfly, Ron Matteson, down in Homer years ago when owned it.
    BK
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

old copper tubing

I melt some lead and fill copper tubing, and then pound flat like a crippled herring.
      Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
      www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

In Newfoundland they call that lure "the nail," and it's usually homemade with a galvanized (that makes sense to me now bkmail) nail and painted red. They catch salmon and searun browns with it. It is sold on Cape Cod as a bonito lure. I had one once and replaced the treble hook with a fly of sparse angel hair tinsel and had frequent and violent strikes from cohos (and a few terns) until a chinook took it away.

Comment

I've made a few out of round stock. A buddy get's me stainless scraps. I haven't had a chance to fish them, one of these days.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I made some Kodiak Custom type lures using 3/4" steel rods and squid lures. I have not tried them yet but I am heading to Kodiak next week and hopefully they will catch me some big halibut. I even put a water activated light on a few of them. Wish me luck!
            WWW.MOLDYCHUM.COM

http://vimeo.com/11025693

Comment

all great ideas . i am going to have access to some 3/4 round stock and been thinking about making some up. similar to the mudraker except powder coated and no sides. skirt or grub tail at the top.

Comment

I've had great luck catching halibut with my 16oz P-Line Hexbar. One tip though...immediately take of the crappy treble hook and replace it with a larger Gamakatsu treble. The first day I used this jig, I caught a 35-40 pounder and by the time I landed it, 2 of the 3 hooks on the original treble had broken off in it's mouth. It was a pure miracle that I was able to land the sucker. These hexbars dive to the bottom fast, and the flat sides produce great flash that I theorize looks very much like the candle fish these bottom dwellers feed on. These are relatively cheap to buy, so it is worth a try if you are willing to give it a go.

Comment

Mudraker

The Mudraker by Gibbs is a hex bag and I have slaughtered halibut with it. I had a guy change the hook to a 16/0 circle with a rubber skirt on it and it works every better. Caught close to 200 last year on it. Good enough for 3rd place in the Seward halibut derby.
                  notice in the attached photo that they put the hook on the top of it.
                  Attached Files
                  www.graylightalaska.com
                  http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
                  (800)566-3912

Comment

Hex Bars

I guess this is where I toss in that I Make them out of Ruston Turbine blabes. $32,000 for a set of 84 but what the heck they fish! Obviously I'm using junkers. They have a great curved section and a heavier head that is easy to make look like a bait fish, weigh adout 6 oz or so rigged.
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
                      I guess this is where I toss in that I Make them out of Ruston Turbine blabes. $32,000 for a set of 84 but what the heck they fish! Obviously I'm using junkers. They have a great curved section and a heavier head that is easy to make look like a bait fish, weigh adout 6 oz or so rigged.
                      Mike
                      At $380 a piece it must suck to lose one to the rocks!!!!
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
                        Mike
                        Can you guys post some pictures of your creations? This thread is useless without pics!:cool:
                        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                          Can you guys post some pictures of your creations? This thread is useless without pics!:cool:
                          You said it
                          sigpic
                          www.arcticangler.ca
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Put a few of these together for slack water jigging.

sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

very nice use of the cresent sinker :cool:. i have seen them painted up as shrimp as well. those definately look like they will catch fish!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X