Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whittier Salmon in June

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whittier Salmon in June

    Any salmon in Whittier (PWS - out to Knight/Montague/Needles at the end of June (last weekend). Might be too early for silvers and too late for Kings.....

    Have heard that the kings are tough in PWS - but is it worth pulling some gear while taking on the scenery heading to a hali hole or camp site?

  • #2
    I would think your two best options would be chums in Lake Bay (Esther Island) or possibly reds in Main Bay. You never know when you might find a king while trolling and finding a few early silvers is always possible, but the two options above are going to be more likely to produce.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ditto what Brian said about Lake Bay. That is a great place for kids to cast for chums. There are some pockets south that hold some reds, but your time frame may be a bit early. I have caught silvers around the S. Knight Island area in that time frame and feeder kings are there, too, but you have to go deep. The Passages hold feeder kings as well. We pulled a 50+lb feeder off the bottom (285') while fishing halibut. The circle hook worked great! Bottom line is, you can't catch a fish if you don't have your line in the water. If you are just tuling around, you might as well put a couple of lines out.
      sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are kings around Montague, but they MAY be a bit sooner than you're talking about.
        Boatless

        Comment


        • #5
          Main Bay you may see some Reds like people have mention.
          Coghill might be another place to look into.
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

          Comment


          • #6
            Montague

            Well since i just got the 220 searunner, i haven't ran it out yet. Is that boat capable of going out to Montague for fishing or deer hunting? I don;t want to push my luck, but i would like to maximize my use without jepordizing my passengers or myself! Thanks...

            David

            Comment


            • #7
              You can get out to Montague, but you have to pick your weather and be willing to hole up.

              On the other hand, the week or two you plan for a deer trip might have a weather window or two to get out there and back, or it might not. I'd planned to take friends out there last September, they came up for 3 weeks. We had a weather window where we got out as far as disk Island, and the water was already building faster than forecast. We got some fishing in, then holed up for 2 nights. We headed back the next day, again with seas building faster than forecast.

              The main thing to remember with a small boat is, while you can get out to Montague in 3 hours in nice conditions, it doesn't take the water building much to have that become a six hour trip. And six hours with your eyes on every new wave, one hand on the wheel and the other on the throttle will flat wear you out.

              The weather during deer season goes from unpleasant to downright nasty. Hence I'd say a 22' boat and Montague during the deer season is a combo that might work out every few years, but if you want to get out there reliable given the weather conditions we have, you'll want a much larger boat.
              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

              If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Paul H View Post
                You can get out to Montague, but you have to pick your weather and be willing to hole up.

                On the other hand, the week or two you plan for a deer trip might have a weather window or two to get out there and back, or it might not. I'd planned to take friends out there last September, they came up for 3 weeks. We had a weather window where we got out as far as disk Island, and the water was already building faster than forecast. We got some fishing in, then holed up for 2 nights. We headed back the next day, again with seas building faster than forecast.

                The main thing to remember with a small boat is, while you can get out to Montague in 3 hours in nice conditions, it doesn't take the water building much to have that become a six hour trip. And six hours with your eyes on every new wave, one hand on the wheel and the other on the throttle will flat wear you out.

                The weather during deer season goes from unpleasant to downright nasty. Hence I'd say a 22' boat and Montague during the deer season is a combo that might work out every few years, but if you want to get out there reliable given the weather conditions we have, you'll want a much larger boat.

                I have to agree with Paul. My experience is that any month with an "r" in it is a bad bet for Montague in a 22 footer. May, June, July, and even August will have some nice windows though and you should be able to go there and back with decent enough safety if you pay attention to the seas and weather. I really like that spot at Disk Island Paul, it is a great spot for a camping trip It is also a great spot to drop the hook when things go south. Unike you though, I spent a week there last year because I wanted to......totally different I know. Have a good one

                Tim

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MDwhatley View Post
                  Well since i just got the 220 searunner, i haven't ran it out yet. Is that boat capable of going out to Montague for fishing or deer hunting? I don;t want to push my luck, but i would like to maximize my use without jepordizing my passengers or myself! Thanks...

                  David

                  I wouldn't take a 22' sea runner out there on any day ever. I've always had much bigger boats and you can feel very small very quick out there. We used to have a 24' sea Sport and I never took it there once. Last year I went out to the southwest side of Montague ( I go most days) with a great 3 day forecast saw some wind and decided to pull anchor by time the anchor was up and the line was in, it was 8' with wind on the top. I'm not saying I'm the best Captain but I have 50 ton Master license and was in a 30'x10'6 boat with twin diesels that weighed 15,000 lbs. it sucked. . On the way in there was a 26' sea Runner that called me on the radio as passed by to come over 2 miles so He Could follow me in. The only reason I stopped was because he said his family was onboard. By the time I hit Cape Resurrection it 12-14' stacked up. There was no way that boat had any business being out there. I'm not trying to bash your boat, because I do like them. The biggest thing to remember is when you're driving that boat you are responsible for everyone on that boat. I know I wouldn't put my family in jeopardy like that. I know after I write this there are going to be people that say how many times they had their 22's out there, but I know there is no way I would.

                  just my 2 cents.
                  good luck
                  Boatless

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FISHFACE View Post
                    I wouldn't take a 22' sea runner out there on any day ever. I've always had much bigger boats and you can feel very small very quick out there. We used to have a 24' sea Sport and I never took it there once. Last year I went out to the southwest side of Montague ( I go most days) with a great 3 day forecast saw some wind and decided to pull anchor by time the anchor was up and the line was in, it was 8' with wind on the top. I'm not saying I'm the best Captain but I have 50 ton Master license and was in a 30'x10'6 boat with twin diesels that weighed 15,000 lbs. it sucked. . On the way in there was a 26' sea Runner that called me on the radio as passed by to come over 2 miles so He Could follow me in. The only reason I stopped was because he said his family was onboard. By the time I hit Cape Resurrection it 12-14' stacked up. There was no way that boat had any business being out there. I'm not trying to bash your boat, because I do like them. The biggest thing to remember is when you're driving that boat you are responsible for everyone on that boat. I know I wouldn't put my family in jeopardy like that. I know after I write this there are going to be people that say how many times they had their 22's out there, but I know there is no way I would.

                    just my 2 cents.
                    good luck
                    yep ill be the first. pay attention and you will be fine. i ran all over PWS in my 21 foot northriver commander and the 220 searunner has way higher sides. ive been all over the north side of montegue, poked out south side ellrington, and up and down both sides of knight. pay attention to the weather and dont make any big crossings in anything you are uncomfortable with. your comfort zone should get smaller when you have family/kids onboard. the 220 searunner was made for waters like PWS but i wouldnt get to the sound from seward in that boat.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      forgot to say that id be especially careful if deer hunting in that boat due to the time of year. early season not bad but come october the weather gets more cranky.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i ran all over PWS in my 21 foot northriver commander and the 220 searunner has way higher sides.

                        Higher sides don't equally a more seaworthy boat. It's a combination of many things that determines a boats safety.

                        your comfort zone should get smaller when you have family/kids onboard.

                        Why should your comfort zone change depending on who's on your boat? Shouldn't you take the same amount of precautions and pay as much attention no matter who's on board.

                        I'm not trying to start a fight here I know that there is a big misconception of what a boat and boaters deem to be safe.
                        Boatless

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The bottom line here is always be prepared to stay longer. i have been out to hog bay from whittier and from whittier to valdez and all over between in my 21' thunderjet with my family. I am prepared to stay if the weather picks up and have had to. use your head and don't get stuck out in the middle with nowhere to hide.
                          Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Shrimp

                            is there good shrimping near the south end of Knight? We are going to try to shore camp 1 night somewhere on the southern end and want to drop pots near camp.

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X