Any spearfishers out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any spearfishers out there.

I just got my new wetsuit and speargun in the mail. Got a few spots near the mouths of rivers that I think will work for Kings. Anyone else spearfish around here?

I've had better luck on SCUBA down deep... find the temperature and depth they're schooling at (usually 40-ish feet in Fritz Cove) and shoot away.

The sealions get very aggressive if you're carrying a stringer though...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    sigpic

Comment

Does closer to the equator count?

Live on Kauai; been thinking about spearfishing in Alaska. Haven't gone in quite a while here, but typically go lots throughout the summer (minimal north swells). I don't use a gun but rather a 7' graphite Hawaiian sling as we're always poking in/around the reefs. I find a gun is way too much trouble for that (i.e. fish runs in a hole, line gets caught on coral, etc.). With 2 of us, one guy carries a gun and the other a sling (for the follow-up shot if needed). No aggressive seals here but sharks can be an issue.
      Jim
      Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

I would happily take my luck with the shark over the sealions. Sealions look all cute and $h1t until there is 300lbs of one only a few feet away with their mouth opened wide.

Comment

Um

We produced a spearfishing TV episode - does that count
          Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

I know some folks who shoot dungies and octopus here in JNU
            I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

alaska divers

there is a website for alaska divers and on it there is a link for a group out of fairbanks that gets together every month and talks about spearfishing in alaska if u contact test the waters they can tell u the days of the week we meet and such i cant remeber the name of the website though
              alot of us in fairbanks go for pike in the small ponds around the borough

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                I know some folks who shoot dungies and octopus here in JNU
                yeah, and if any of them are ever in my boat's path, I'll likely not alter my course too much... they have a liking for spearing boats too!

-Case
                M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
                sigpic

Comment

that'd be one hell of a ride if you could stick a boat
                  I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X