No announcement yet.

Yakutat in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I never said I was opposed to crowds....

LMAO! That guy was awesome...what a tool!
    sigpic
    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
      Yeah the Situk gets busy! You can walk and escape crowds. But be careful of bears. The snow can make walking tough and water levels can make wading difficult. Be prepared to plan an cancel trips due to weather.

Powder thinks everything is crowded and Situk is a popular fishing destination. There will be people just expect it. Go and have a great time. The fish can be tough and finicky. Also, attempting to catch the fish in deep holes where you can see 100 can be disheartening. Be quiet and keep trying new things. Check ahead of time to make sure the road is plowed which it should be.
      I have to agree with Nick of Time. The few times that I have fished the Situk for Steelhead, we noticed that upstream from the bridge and around the mouth were the busiest, but even that wasn't really very congested.

2 years ago (early May), some buddies and I took a few canoes down the entire length of the river and saw hardly anyone. We spent 4 days on the river and NEVER once saw anyone hike / walk / float by (We stayed at the forest service cabins). I can say from personal experience, this was some of the best steelheading I've ever done-- without seeing another fisherman! Plus, the best holes were in the middle strecth of the river!

I'm guessing that most people who complain about the Situk being 'crowded' have a very limited experience on the river...

Comment

I have fished the situk twice (going may 9 for a third and hopefully not last time) and I would never say I felt it was crowed there are plenty of holes to fish and while there are people around to walk around a bend (there are quite a few of them) and you feel completely alone its nice and I can't wait to go back

Comment

We've been getting dumped on everyday... LOTS of snow. Time will tell what will be happening. I suspect you'll have a tough time getting your feet on dry ground! I think so far we've gotten about 220" of snow I imagine the banks right now have at least 6 feet on them. Genereally speaking the fishing should be good. It becomes an issue that is dependent upon how adaptable you are and know where and what to do. It will be different than any other spring given the cold and snowey spring... winter we're still having. PM me for updates. As of now the road to 9 mile is not open. They've been having equipment troubles, and compounding it with the new accumulations of snow we're anticipating the road being open for you when you get here. The state doesn't have to do anything until May 1st. I wouldn't worry about the trivial stuff like crowds, fish #'s, or snow. You'll get to go fishing and have a good time! The lower end is open and accessible. Bob Fraker and Frank Deveroux are clearing it as we speak for drift boats. I hope you have a good time while you're here.
          http://www.glacierbearlodge.com/alas...experience.htm

Comment

so crowded...

I'm sure it'll be crazy crowded...probably something like this or worse :rolleyes:

Really like that quote "This aint the Russian" -- lol...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-31-2009, 20:52. Reason: Language

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.No View Post
              I'm sure it'll be crazy crowded...probably something like this or worse :rolleyes:

Really like that quote "This aint the Russian" -- lol...
              That's not too bad at all.
              Here's a pic of the trout opener on a stream in Missouri.

And my old favorite river back in Ontario on the trout opener.

Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-31-2009, 20:53. Reason: Language
              sigpic
              www.arcticangler.ca
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

[quote=Dr.No;466145]I'm sure it'll be crazy crowded...probably something like this or worse :rolleyes: quote]

Ha! LOL...this is pretty much the picture which Fife painted a while back. I forgot how bad it was. I better stay away and cancel my trip! Perhaps the Russian or Kasilof might yield more room to fish! :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                  That's not too bad at all.
                  You're absolutely right -- that wasn't a pic of really bad combat fishing...

I think this is a bit worse. Just type "Russian River Fishing" into images.google.com vs. typing "Situk River Fishing". One of those seems to have more of a focus on people...
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Situk can get plenty crowded in certain areas during salmon seasons. Don't fool yourselves that it doesn't. As for the comparison? I suspect the Russian will be less crowded than the Situk in the end of April.

Comment

certain areas
                      Maybe I should set up an espresso stand? :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by NickofTime View Post
                        Maybe I should set up an espresso stand? :rolleyes:
                        Yeah.....I'll be next to you with fresh hot dogs and hamburgers.....
                        You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X