Yakutat in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakutat in April

I just got an invitation to stay with a friend that lives in Yakutat to fish the Situk the weekend of April 17th. What should I expect as far as snow on the shoreline and fish counts for that time of the season?

Originally posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I just got an invitation to stay with a friend that lives in Yakutat to fish the Situk the weekend of April 17th. What should I expect as far as snow on the shoreline and fish counts for that time of the season?
    AFG
    Visit this site for latest river conditions: http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm

Expect 3-4 feet of snow on river banks.

Dave
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Comment

I'll hopefully be there
      I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
        I'll hopefully be there
        I'm surprised you'll even return to Yakutat...especially since you scoffed at those wanting to fish the Situk (back in December), saying that it's "Wayyy too crowded and over-fished." :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by NickofTime View Post
          I'm surprised you'll even return to Yakutat...especially since you scoffed at those wanting to fish the Situk (back in December), saying that it's "Wayyy too crowded and over-fished." :confused:
          I have heard the same about the crowding. What would I expect for "crowds" in mid April?

Comment

moderate pressure, might see 20 people in a day if its busy less if its not.
            depending if you are floating or just staying in one section of river. really depends where the fish are. i know I will be there then
            www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

It gets more crowded every year. Mid April is the start. Fishing for drop-backs will always be okay at that time. Springers are hit-and-miss. Expect wintered-over fish in the top half and hope for chromers in the bottom half. High water is GOOD for fish entering the river. As for snow? That's a crap shoot. Warm days and heavy rain can make snow disappear quickly. Higher, colored water is better than low and clear, so bring on the rain! There are no bad days when I'm fishing. Unless Pole Bender is out-fishing me. But that's what Crown Royal is for.

Comment

Originally posted by NickofTime View Post
                Yup but work get in the way of greater adventure
                I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                  Yup but work get in the way of greater adventure
                  Pot. Kettle. Black.

Comment

Alaska

Yeah the Situk gets busy! You can walk and escape crowds. But be careful of bears. The snow can make walking tough and water levels can make wading difficult. Be prepared to plan an cancel trips due to weather.

Powder thinks everything is crowded and Situk is a popular fishing destination. There will be people just expect it. Go and have a great time. The fish can be tough and finicky. Also, attempting to catch the fish in deep holes where you can see 100 can be disheartening. Be quiet and keep trying new things. Check ahead of time to make sure the road is plowed which it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
                      Yeah the Situk gets busy! You can walk and escape crowds. But be careful of bears. The snow can make walking tough and water levels can make wading difficult. Be prepared to plan an cancel trips due to weather.

Powder thinks everything is crowded and Situk is a popular fishing destination. There will be people just expect it. Go and have a great time. The fish can be tough and finicky. Also, attempting to catch the fish in deep holes where you can see 100 can be disheartening. Be quiet and keep trying new things. Check ahead of time to make sure the road is plowed which it should be.
                      Dillusional is more like it....

I have fished the Situk 8 times and compared to other major rivers across the state, it is *NOT* that crowded by all stardards.

Sure, near the bridge and down by the mouth, you'll find the most concentration of fisherman...but anywhere else on the river, it's sparse and mostly wide open. Unless you've floated it and really had a chance to experience the ENTIRE lower river, his assessment of the Situk is totally off! (It never seems to amaze me how most people experience a small portion of water and make sweeping gernalizations as for the rest of the stream....:rolleyes

Comment

Ok first off B. NEVER EVER cancel fishing trips due to weather, that just ain't right man.

Roads are scheduled to be plowed by April 1 or shortly there after.

As far as the crowded part, I think compared to 6-10 years ago it probably is crowded. But compared to the local fisheries not so much.

Comment

I read on the Situk Fly shops blog that the front end loader broke while clearing the road.....might be more towards after April 1st.

http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm

Fish On!
                          You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

The times that I've fished the Situk, I can say there are crowded portions. There are more portions of that river that see very little pressure. All you have to do is walk a little way and you will be in the bliss of solitude. My assessment is based of the most crowded time as well. If you go to the left or right of the peak weeks, its a lot less crowded.
                            sigpic
                            Proudly Serving Since 1997
                            The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
                            "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
                              The times that I've fished the Situk, I can say there are crowded portions. There are more portions of that river that see very little pressure. All you have to do is walk a little way and you will be in the bliss of solitude. My assessment is based of the most crowded time as well. If you go to the left or right of the peak weeks, its a lot less crowded.
                              Remember: "This aint the F-n Russian" LOL
                              sigpic
                              Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                              www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X