Mesh or Metal Shrimp Pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh or Metal Shrimp Pots?

I will be getting ready to buy some shrimp pots pretty soon hear and I was hoping to get an opinion on which work better. I heard a rumor that stackable mesh pots work better that coated wire, but I have no idea.
    I figured that you guys would be the best to ask as I have already learned a lot from this site. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Harrison

Pots

I have been using pots built by Potbuilder for 3 years now. He offers different types of pots, I use the folding type. Just pull 4 pins and they fold down flat to maybe 2 or 3 inches in diameter, and take up little space. These pots are metal mesh that is plastic coated. I'd buy these pots again in a heartbeat.
    I think Steve will have a booth set up at the Sportsmans show in Wasilla this coming weekend. 3/28,29. Check out his products there or check website or email.
    I personally like buying a quality product from someone local who stands behind what he sells.

web site---- www.alaskashrimppots.com

email------ akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Comment

Thanks Gary, hope you stop by this weekend at the wasilla show and i'll also be at the show in anchorage the following weekend.
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
      907 775 1692

Comment

plastic shrimp pots

I just bought a 26 foot Hewescraft and it came with shrimp pots like I have never seen. They are made of black plastic and stack like plastic cups which is nice. Do these work ok? Any trick? Will I need some weight for them to get them to the bottom?
        Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Originally posted by wildog View Post
          I just bought a 26 foot Hewescraft and it came with shrimp pots like I have never seen. They are made of black plastic and stack like plastic cups which is nice. Do these work ok? Any trick? Will I need some weight for them to get them to the bottom?
          If they are what i think they are they are made by either Ocean traps or Fathom Plus. I don't know anything about them but with all that plastic i'd bet you will need lots of weight in them to make them sink well and stay put. Sort of like a milk crate in the water, they half float just under the surface. Post a picture if you can.
          Steve
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by madriverman View Post
            I will be getting ready to buy some shrimp pots pretty soon hear and I was hoping to get an opinion on which work better. I heard a rumor that stackable mesh pots work better that coated wire, but I have no idea.
            I figured that you guys would be the best to ask as I have already learned a lot from this site. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Harrison
            Yeah those vinyl coated wire pots fish poorly. Please stop by and see me at one of the outdoors shows
            Click image for larger version

Name:	P8070418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2463815
            Click image for larger version

Name:	P8070433.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	2463816
            Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-26-2009, 06:10.
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            907 775 1692

Comment

I have the same style pots

Wildog - I wouldn't worry about those pots that much - I have the same style - (only a little bigger) and they do just fine. As with any fishing - if you hit the right spot they will be loaded. At 60-70 dollars each for new ones I sure wouldn't replace them before you try them.
              How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X