Landing the big halibut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing the big halibut...

Another thread got me thinking....I've never fished the ocean, let alone caught anything as big as some halibut I've seen in pictures. Maybe we won't hook a biggun, but if we do getting them landed and either released or kept is another story. I'll be fishing out of a relatively small boat, 20' or so from what I remember, so I don't have a large area to just lay them in to keep them out of the way.

Here's what I've heard/read...
    - take a gun and shoot the ones you want to keep.
    - use a rope and stick as a stringer and just rope them off the boat after gaffing them (seems like a way to attract predators to the boat to eat your catch though!).
    - gaff them through the head (ok I just read this in the other halibut thread haha) and toss them in the boat?
    - don't bring them into the boat alive unless you want a broken leg.

I'm looking for any tips on what to do with a large halibut once she's at the boat. What to do if we want to keep it, bleed it out, etc? What if we want to release it? Is there anything we should be concerned with when releasing these fish, bladders or anything? Is there an easy hook removal method without gaffing?

Thanks!

If you want to release it don't bring it in the boat, don't gaff it. Just grab the leader and remove the hook and say good bye. Personally I won't keep any halibut over 60#'s as I think the smaller fish taste better, they are also easier to man handle and this leaves the bigger guys for someone else to enjoy catching.
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Well, how you land a "big" halibut really depends on how you define "big" and the size of your deck. If you haven't fished for halibut before, you're likely to consider a forty-pounder pretty big, and forty pounds of thrashing halibut does seem quite a bit larger on a small deck than a big one.

My wife and I have a Bayliner 2858 with a relatively small deck. Thus, a live 'but has little room to flop about without possibly hurting someone or causing damage. For that reason, I won't land a fish larger than about sixty lbs without first putting a .410 between his eyes. Truly large fish (150 lbs +) may need to be popped twice. I like to let the big boys bleed out some before I gaff and land them.

When preparing to shoot or gaff a halibut, do NOT bring the fish all the way to the surface. Once the head breaks water, they will usually thrash and dive. Keep them just under the water until you are ready to shoot or gaff, then have someone slowly bring them up. Do the deed just before they break the surface. If you're shooting, aim between and slightly behind the eyes. The brain is tiny and can be easy to miss.

A fish weighing more than thirty-five pounds still merits caution and a bit of common sense. Clear the deck of loose equipment so you have room to move about without tripping and the 'but has some room to thrash. Gaff the fish and bring it on deck. Remove the gaff quickly, grab a club or fish-whacker, and beat its brains in. Problem solved.

Good luck, and good fishing.

Comment

Also agree with the previous poster about keeping smaller, tastier fish and letting the big breeders go (unless you're feeding family, of course).

Comment

another option...

gaff the halibut, give it a good whack between the eyes, and tie it off the side of your boat and tow it back to harbor. saves alot of deck space.

Comment

tie em up

We have "hogtied" some of the bigger ones to keep them from flopping and save some space on deck.

Comment

Don't worry about releasing halibut. They'll be just fine when you let them go.

Comment

Buoy

I had to laugh when my friend told me how he handles bigger halibut. He has a large buoy that he uses. He harpoons it, and then detaches the cable from the harpoon stick and attaches a large buoy to the cable to it and lets it go to swim around. The bigger ones actually pull the buoy under water for a while, but they do come up eventually. The idea is they completely exhaust themselves then he can bring it in the boat. Kinda feel bad for the fish a little thinking they are getting away, but a little funny too.
                Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Thanks....Great info guys, and some funny stuff too

A big halibut to me, I don't know, I've never caught one. But I'm guessing anything over 30-40lbs will be pretty dang big to us. I can't imagine trying to keep a 100lb fish still while I remove the hook and release it, this seems like something that will land me in the drink! I guess I'm surprised you guys don't use hook removers so you're not leaning over the water so far, one tug from a large fish, and sploosh I would think.

I do not think I'll have a gun with us, so that most likely is not an option. When they are roped off the boat, do you ever bring your rope back up and only have a head or one side of the fish left? Guess I'm a little worried about attracting other fish that will eat my catch. I have requested some pics and info on the boat we'll be using, I'm not sure it really has decks, I think it's more bathtub shaped, I should know that soon though.

Do halibut generally not swallow hooks?

wildog, I've heard of people doing that with fish that school, I think it was called the redneck fish finder/sonar rig

Comment

Originally posted by FishnPhil View Post
                    Thanks....Great info guys, and some funny stuff too

A big halibut to me, I don't know, I've never caught one. But I'm guessing anything over 30-40lbs will be pretty dang big to us. I can't imagine trying to keep a 100lb fish still while I remove the hook and release it, this seems like something that will land me in the drink! I guess I'm surprised you guys don't use hook removers so you're not leaning over the water so far, one tug from a large fish, and sploosh I would think.

I do not think I'll have a gun with us, so that most likely is not an option. When they are roped off the boat, do you ever bring your rope back up and only have a head or one side of the fish left? Guess I'm a little worried about attracting other fish that will eat my catch. I have requested some pics and info on the boat we'll be using, I'm not sure it really has decks, I think it's more bathtub shaped, I should know that soon though.

Do halibut generally not swallow hooks?

wildog, I've heard of people doing that with fish that school, I think it was called the redneck fish finder/sonar rig
                    For releasing just hold the leader in one hand and use a long handled hook remover to pop the hook out.
                    sigpic
                    www.arcticangler.ca
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Circle Hooks - The key to an easy release

Using at least a 16/0 circle hook is the key to not having them swallow the bait real deep. It still happens sometimes - but most of the time they will be hooked on the lip or jaw. Attach a rope to the ones your going to keep, cut the gills just under the gill plate to bleed it out. Tie it off outside the boat until your ready to leave.

One handy tool to make up is described below:
                      I go the the local welding supply store and buy some large diameter brazing rods- cut them into about thiry inch lengths (some 24'') and bend a small half moon loop into each one. Bend a small diameter eye on each end - one at ninety degrees - the other straight. Attached a 12 foot piece of rope on end and use electrical tape or heat shrink to cover the attachement. Now when its done you have a very easy way to run a rope thru the gills of a large halibut without sticking your hand in their mouth.
                      Use the thirty inch one's for the HUGE halibut and the 24s for medium size.
                      Last edited by akfishnut; 03-24-2009, 12:09. Reason: Spelling
                      How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Originally posted by FishnPhil View Post
                        can't imagine trying to keep a 100lb fish still while I remove the hook and release it, this seems like something that will land me in the drink! I guess I'm surprised you guys don't use hook removers so you're not leaning over the water so far, one tug from a large fish, and sploosh I would think.

I do not think I'll have a gun with us, so that most likely is not an option. When they are roped off the boat, do you ever bring your rope back up and only have a head or one side of the fish left? Guess I'm a little worried about attracting other fish that will eat my catch.
                        Trying to remove a hook from the mouth of a 150# halibut so that you can release her is pretty unwise. The hooks are designed to rust away, so if you have to cut a leader and let one go with a hook in its mouth, that's okay. Better than risking fish finger or a hook in the hand.

If you rope off a couple of halibut and pull up only heads, you should just count yourself lucky that the orca didn't get you too. Nothing's going to eat your 'buts.

Comment

Harpoon

When we get a good sized fish alongside we punch it through (make sure it's all the way through) the shoulder portion behind the gills up in near the spine. The harpoons they sell at Sportsmans work nice. The head will come loose on the far side of the fish but with heavy, very strong cord tied off on a cleat you'll be fine. We usually see one huge surge from the fish. We've found a 22 mag birdshot load right behind the eyes does the trick from there. We use the 22M birdshot since it will kill the fish but won't penetrate a hull etc if there is some type of mishap aboard. Using the harpoon secured to a cleat is a solid we to conrol the fish and lets you make the call as to whether to lash it alongside or hual it in.
                          Gaffs: We use a very strong gaff with a good sized handle (like you see on a short shovel) Sink the gaff in and use that handle to get a strong grip to pull the fish onboard. When your hands are wet and tired a shovel type handle is really handy.
                          I hope that helps.

Comment

You already have one

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                            For releasing just hold the leader in one hand and use a long handled hook remover to pop the hook out.
                            I let a fish go once.

We just use our gaff as the hook remover. On small fish take the leader in your left hand and the gaff in the right. Catch the leader with the gaff and run the gaff to the fish's mouth. Spreading your hands apart give it a "pop". By pulling the leader down and back towards the tail you are positioning the hook to release.
                            On big fish let a buddy handle the leader. Leader going down & back and the gaff going forward, sharp yank and it frees right up. Some feisty big ones take a couple of tries and you might get damp.
                            Live life and love it
                            Love life and live it

Comment

1) Get fish close to boat, but DO not remove head from water.
                              2) harpoon fish (this makes it mad)
                              3) reel in the harpooned fish again (at least she can't sound and run deep!)
                              4) use long bladed knife under gill plates and cut gills as much as you can before she gets mad and runs away again.

As long as you get the gills bleeding good, she'll run and pump all the blood out... when the orange ball stops moving violently, the fish is mostly bled out and you can reel her in and tie her up or bring her aboard.

-Case
                              M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
                              sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X