Skunked in the derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked in the derby

Didn't catch anything in the winter king derby, but still had a good time. 70 fish were caught out of about 800 people fishing. I am eager to hear what the biggest fish was. The weather was pretty crappy in the morning, but it got better as the day went on
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Didn't fish it, but had a friend get 2 on his boat. Largest was a 25.5 lb. He heard of a 28.5 being landed.

Comment

Didn't go out myself. Had some friends and co-workers with me, and they had no interest in going out after watching the first boats go bouncing out (something to do with bottle flu...) So wasn't going to head out by myself and by the time they decided not to go it was too late to try and find a walk on.

bummer... but I was out a couple times earlier in the week and caught nothing, and got beat up pretty good with some nasty water - actually had some rollers that I was looking UP at the top of them.
      '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
      200hp Honda 4stroke
      + multiple other 'toys'...

Comment

Seemed like a lot of the boats that caught fish caught more than 1, and a lot of boats got nothing. Hopefully next year my boat will get some fish

Comment

There was a boat fishing next to us for a while that got four, two of which we watched them pull aboard. There was also the boat in the last four minutes of the derby that hooked and landed two at once. :eek: Nothing for us, but a good day on the water. It was sloppy early on, but calmed down after 1:00 and warmed up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
            There was a boat fishing next to us for a while that got four, two of which we watched them pull aboard. There was also the boat in the last four minutes of the derby that hooked and landed two at once. :eek: Nothing for us, but a good day on the water. It was sloppy early on, but calmed down after 1:00 and warmed up a bit.
            which side of the bay were you fishing on?

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
              which side of the bay were you fishing on?
              Both. Started on one side, switched to the other.

Comment

we started at yukon, but got a good weather report and headed to diamond creek by 9:30 a and were fishing off the whale's tail most of the morning.
                Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Anybody have any info on what size the winning fish was?:confused:

Comment

28.5# ..........

Comment

1 Thursday, 2 Friday, El-Skunko Derby Day. (2nd year in a row for the derby skunk. I'm not really comfortable with that) It's always a fun tourney though. Weather was cooperative for the most part, though a little chilly. I think they said 70 fish caught (reported). 230 boats or so and 800 plus anglers.

Comment

Derby

Had 2 solid hook ups on the downriggers and one possible on the divers, I was busy running the boat and we ended up missing all three... What a bummer. One was when one of my buddies was re-rigging a rod. When the downrigger released, he couldn't get the rod out of the holder with his spare hand to bury the hook. We still had a great day overall.
                        <)))><
                        Live to fish, fish to live...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBrown767 View Post
                          Had 2 solid hook ups on the downriggers and one possible on the divers, I was busy running the boat and we ended up missing all three... What a bummer. One was when one of my buddies was re-rigging a rod. When the downrigger released, he couldn't get the rod out of the holder with his spare hand to bury the hook. We still had a great day overall.

I went on a charter for winter kings several years ago, and the charter captain told me that you don't set the hook on these fish, you just start reeling in. We were fishing with down riggers and we caught 9 fish in Jan. so it seems he knows what he is talking about, maybe some of the winter king regulars can tell us if it is necessary to set the hook.

Comment

hoose - Homerdave said the same thing - don't set the hook, just start reeling. By the time the fish has taken the bait and caused it to unclip from the downrigger, the pressure of the boat moving forward should have already set the hook. Jerking to set the hook in a traditional fashion can cause slack in the line that can cause the fish to be lost.

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong on this description.

Comment

just reel!!!!

first off, the boat is moving at about 2 knots, so the line should be tight already... also, if you set the hook then when you drop your rod tip the gear can sink and be slack between the flasher and hook, and when you go tight again the flasher can either pop the hook out, or tangle and cut off the fish (especially if you are using the bechtel or "jerry" flashers with the vane on them).. so just REEL! REEL! REEL!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X