Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coupla fish finder questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coupla fish finder questions

    Hi crew, got my eye on a couple of low buck fish finders (really more concerned with reading depth "cleanly" up to 300' or so at 6-7 knots). What do you guys think of the following:
    1. Humminbird Piranha Max 170 vs the 150? 170 has double the peak power, so thinking that will translate into better depth capability? This unit would be used in Hawaii to troll the 40 fathom ledge (6-7 knots).
    2. Portable Lowrance/Eagle Cuda 300? This unit would be for Alaska (primarily Kenai river). Would figure that 800 watts peak power would be plenty for river depths?
    Humminbird Piranha Max 160 portable? Same use. The Piranha just looks like a nicer that's easy to use.

    Any help/opinions appreciated!
    PS----those suction cup transducers; do they stay stuck on a aluminum hull while on step?
    Thanks,
    Jim

    I guess one more question; only reason I'm thinking portable for the Kenai boat is that the battery we have for the 25 4 stroke yamaha is for starting only (no T/T or any other electric stuff on the boat). The battery is small (kinda like a ATV type, maybe bigger) but if it could run a small finder and occasional small bilge pump, I'd consider saving money on the finder and get the "regular", non-portable unit???
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

  • #2
    Any

    Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
    Hi crew, got my eye on a couple of low buck fish finders (really more concerned with reading depth "cleanly" up to 300' or so at 6-7 knots). What do you guys think of the following:
    1. Humminbird Piranha Max 170 vs the 150? 170 has double the peak power, so thinking that will translate into better depth capability? This unit would be used in Hawaii to troll the 40 fathom ledge (6-7 knots).
    2. Portable Lowrance/Eagle Cuda 300? This unit would be for Alaska (primarily Kenai river). Would figure that 800 watts peak power would be plenty for river depths?
    Humminbird Piranha Max 160 portable? Same use. The Piranha just looks like a nicer that's easy to use.

    Any help/opinions appreciated!
    PS----those suction cup transducers; do they stay stuck on a aluminum hull while on step?
    Thanks,
    Jim

    I guess one more question; only reason I'm thinking portable for the Kenai boat is that the battery we have for the 25 4 stroke yamaha is for starting only (no T/T or any other electric stuff on the boat). The battery is small (kinda like a ATV type, maybe bigger) but if it could run a small finder and occasional small bilge pump, I'd consider saving money on the finder and get the "regular", non-portable unit???

    Hey Jim,

    I think that any of the mentioned finders would do fine for the Kenai. I am running an Eagle TriFinder and while the screen is a bit small, it tracks great at full speed ahead. The secret is in the placement of the transducers. I haven't used the stick on tranducers, but placement would be key. I know that some units are using a through-the-hull transducers as well, but I don't know how well they work.

    As far as the battery goes, I tried a light weight battery while fishing silvers a couple of years ago. The batter would start just fine, run lights and the fish finder with no problem. It did not have enough juice to start the second or third time when fishing on anchor however. The motor would crank like crazy, but just wouldn't fire (the starter robbed too much of the amps and didn't leave enough for the spark plug.... motor started on first pull with the rope every time). So, if you are king fishing, with the motor running the whole time, the small battery will do just fine... most of the electronics are run off the the alternator from the motor anyhow. So, don't worry about that.

    Cheers

    Comment


    • #3
      Hummin bird Piranha 230 on a canoe?

      I'm close to getting the 230 for my canoe, but I'd rather move forward on that after reading some good things here about it.

      Anyone used this one? Or, any of them in a canoe?

      Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
      Hi crew, got my eye on a couple of low buck fish finders (really more concerned with reading depth "cleanly" up to 300' or so at 6-7 knots). What do you guys think of the following:
      1. Humminbird Piranha Max 170 vs the 150? 170 has double the peak power, so thinking that will translate into better depth capability? This unit would be used in Hawaii to troll the 40 fathom ledge (6-7 knots).
      2. Portable Lowrance/Eagle Cuda 300? This unit would be for Alaska (primarily Kenai river). Would figure that 800 watts peak power would be plenty for river depths?
      Humminbird Piranha Max 160 portable? Same use. The Piranha just looks like a nicer that's easy to use.

      Any help/opinions appreciated!
      PS----those suction cup transducers; do they stay stuck on a aluminum hull while on step?
      Thanks,
      Jim

      I guess one more question; only reason I'm thinking portable for the Kenai boat is that the battery we have for the 25 4 stroke yamaha is for starting only (no T/T or any other electric stuff on the boat). The battery is small (kinda like a ATV type, maybe bigger) but if it could run a small finder and occasional small bilge pump, I'd consider saving money on the finder and get the "regular", non-portable unit???

      Comment


      • #4
        I can offer no advice on the fish finders you are looking at, but I would not trust the 'ducer suction cup mount. How about screwing the transducer to a piece of aluminum stock and clamping it to the transom? That may be a better option. Just my 2 cents. You owe me a fishin' report, by the way. It has been a couple of weeks.

        Pete
        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have the 230 and used it in my canoe and it worked great to 60' (that's the deepest water i've used it in).I also used a transom mount 30 lb thrust trolling motor mounted on the canoe and trolled for lake trout and did very well and the 230 worked awsome at all speeds.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks!

            Originally posted by pike it alot View Post
            I have the 230 and used it in my canoe and it worked great to 60' (that's the deepest water i've used it in).I also used a transom mount 30 lb thrust trolling motor mounted on the canoe and trolled for lake trout and did very well and the 230 worked awsome at all speeds.
            That's the type of info I was looking for - Thanks Pike!

            Comment


            • #7
              Humminbird Piranha Max 170 is a 200 watt RMS machine and I doubt would work reading 300" at 6-7 knots, I have a 400 watt RMS machine that most of the time works at those depths and speeds, but sometimes I must slow down to get a reading. You might want to spend a little more or buy somewhere that they will let you return the unit or trade up.
              Frank
              Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
              www.wildroselodge.com

              Comment


              • #8
                So what do they mean when they advertise 800 or 1600 watts "peak to peak" power?
                I'll see what Cabela's says when I ask them about the "1,000 ft depth capability" advertised on the Humminbird Piranhas. I know (by experience) that a 100. buck cheapo will read nicely and cleanly to 40 fathoms +, but with a thru-hull transducer. Figured the same cheapo would at least read to 40 fathoms with a transom mount 'ducer.
                Jim

                Pete-------no new fishing reports; been working weekends and weather's been pretty rough, although 100 lb plus ahi's are currently around right now, along with big ono's in the 50 lb range. Looks like it might shape up to be a banner ahi year as they're arriving early.
                Jim

                PS----Burger King's BK Big Fish is my current staple! Get it with just tarter sauce & add cheese!
                Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

                Comment


                • #9
                  Any of those finders will work fine. I used to use the same type battery for my sonar and it would last for over a week of 8 hour days. The suction cup mounts can not be trusted at speed. Make a clamp on transom mount, or epoxy a metal tab on the transom for a bracket if you don't want to drill or weld your boat.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mnfish365 View Post
                    Any of those finders will work fine. I used to use the same type battery for my sonar and it would last for over a week of 8 hour days. The suction cup mounts can not be trusted at speed. Make a clamp on transom mount, or epoxy a metal tab on the transom for a bracket if you don't want to drill or weld your boat.
                    Yep, those suction cups need to be removed during running as they tend to come off at speed. If they are not tied to the boat they can rip right out of the finder. Not a good scene.
                    I made my own portable ducer mount out of a piece of oak and a C clamp but there are good ones pre made. I have used the tilting type ready made mounts but find they swing back at speed. This one from Cabelas looks quite stout and if I were looking for one I would give it a shot.

                    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...356&hasJS=true

                    sigpic
                    www.arcticangler.ca
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X