Float tube for Hallibut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float tube for Hallibut

I may be getting a float tube from my boss and I was wondering what your opinions were on fishing for halibut out of one. It would be in the summer when they are close in. It is the model 600 HH Griggs, i think it has 2 (two) beverage holders...:eek:

Make sure to tell us what it is like to be one of these...
    sigpic

Comment

Are you Crazy?

Personally I don't think this is a wise idea.
      Have you really given this much thought?
      First of all you must deal with the tides. Can you propel a float tube fast enough to combat the tides and make it back to shore? In Cook Inlet we are talking 3-5 mph or more on many days.
      If you catch one you basically have no leverage from one of these things even a 20# butt could probably tow you quite a ways!
      I have caught a few halibut from shoreline areas in Cook Inlet before I purchased a halibut boat.
      Off the end of the homer spit is an area to try.
      Have also heard of people catching butts off of the Kasilof during the PU setnet fishery.Probably worth investigating. Fishing from shore is a MUCH safer idea.
      You might try going out on a rope tether and see how this thing reacts in the salt and if you can even control it while not fishing.
      I for one sure hope you are Joking.
      BTW beverage holders do you no good when a halibut has towed you 1/4 mile or more offshore and there are no boats around for rescue.
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Keep puffin' Rasta
        ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
        just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Comment

Right on!

Originally posted by RastaHunter View Post
          I may be getting a float tube from my boss and I was wondering what your opinions were on fishing for halibut out of one. It would be in the summer when they are close in. It is the model 600 HH Griggs, i think it has 2 (two) beverage holders...:eek:

I love it! I did lol when I read that. The picture I conjured up. Yahoo!
          Strangely, I might have to consider it. The tides here rip but maybe on a small one a guy could pull it off. Food for thought. (oh oh)
          Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
          WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

that model 600 HH griggs must have a transom for the kicker you plan on mounting on that inner tube?

Comment

Not for me.

Two quotes come to mind: "Hold my beer and watch this!" & "I think we are going to need a bigger boat!"

If you have a family, you better up your life insurance policy. Seriously.
              sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Man that will be one fun ride if you hook a big one. Next stop Hawaii
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

Comment

yes, exactly why I asked first, i have never been in one so I was just wondering. I will still buy it though for the stocked rainbows. I have seen guys going after silvers at Mill bay and Mission in them beach here in Kodiak. My mind was just wandering. I do wish I had those beverage holders right now though...

Comment

I'd like to see a picture of your float tube, Rasta. Can you post a link for me?

Comment

p.s. You guys are lame. Dont you remember in Kindergarten when they said it was a good thing to use your imagination?

Comment

p.s.s.

Comment

Originally posted by RastaHunter View Post
                          p.s. You guys are lame. Dont you remember in Kindergarten when they said it was a good thing to use your imagination?
                          Don't you remember in college when they said it was a good thing to use logic?

Seriously, though, I have fished for and caught Kings from my 7 1/5 catamaran, and I am here to tell you that while fun, it sucked being at the mercy of a 30 lb fish...not to mention rowing that little thing against the tide and waves for what seemed like HOURS just to get 400yds back to the beach.

Don't be a statistic...get a real boat for halibut.
                          sigpic

Comment

Have you ever kicked around a float tube? I have been towed around by small trout in a lake. Tack on a few knot current, a gaff, and the resistance of a float tube, I hope you have a 200 meter line tied off to shore. You could fish an arc, then have the rope pull you towards shore.

Make sure to have a video camera on shore. The video would be priceless.

Oh, and if you catch anything over a little chicken, prepare for a wonderfully fun ride.
                            ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
                            just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Comment

[quote=G_Smolt;457835]Don't you remember in college when they said it was a good thing to use logic?

When It is wintertime and I am thinking about fishing, there is usually not enough room for logic to come into play. Maybe my brain is not getting enough oxygen in these cold times. (see? no logic there either)

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X