Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ice fishing around fairbanks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ice fishing around fairbanks

    well i will be home on leave here in about a week and a half and lookin to take the kids out on the hard water. havent seen any really post about it lately so seeing if any one has been. ive been up there for almost 9 years so i know my way around pretty good any help would be great just want to get some alone time with my 5 and 3 year old. heard chena has a lot of little fish goin so thats one option but wanting to get them some bigger fish to has a little fry with them. thanks for your time

    Matt

  • #2
    Originally posted by caribouhunter1 View Post
    well i will be home on leave here in about a week and a half and lookin to take the kids out on the hard water. havent seen any really post about it lately so seeing if any one has been. ive been up there for almost 9 years so i know my way around pretty good any help would be great just want to get some alone time with my 5 and 3 year old. heard chena has a lot of little fish goin so thats one option but wanting to get them some bigger fish to has a little fry with them. thanks for your time

    Matt
    Fishing around here has been extremely slow lately...i mean slow! Quartz lake has some monsters in there, but they are really slow and lethargic right now, same for Birch Lake. Last weekend, we tried a new lake on Eielson called Moose Lake and didn't even see one on the camera or get any kind of bite. We tried Birch that same day and only saw one fish on the camera, I would say that fishing around here probably won't be good until breakup. That has been the extent of my hard water fishing lately, and its getting real old.....can't wait to bust out the flyrods!

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Dang B.C.

      Ouch the Fishing report actually hurt me brother! Ouch!

      Being that you are fishing with the kids you might conserding your original option of fishing Chena lakes and renting a shack. Good time be it catching of fishing when spending time with the kids.

      Things will pick up when the weather breaks a some i.e. anything but -30 in March :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Dont you crazies still ice fish up there in July. sorry guys. You live in some cold and had to throw that out there
        Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BlueMoose View Post
          Ouch the Fishing report actually hurt me brother! Ouch!

          Being that you are fishing with the kids you might conserding your original option of fishing Chena lakes and renting a shack. Good time be it catching of fishing when spending time with the kids.

          Things will pick up when the weather breaks a some i.e. anything but -30 in March :-)
          Yes.....its been that bad lately. Its really hard to get motivated to ice fish when it is so slow. You kind of get spoiled when your out ice fishing in November and December, when the fishing is great... I'll second you on Chena Lakes, but I'm willing to bet its slow there also.

          Fish On!
          You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


          http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
            Dont you crazies still ice fish up there in July. sorry guys. You live in some cold and had to throw that out there
            Yes we do.....but we also try and make it down south to "thaw out" a little before that.

            Fish On!
            You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


            http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              my last trip is usually at the end of april, but I could go much later than that if I was willing to walk !!

              I haven't been out in a couple months (unusual) so I could be wrong, but personally I've never seen it slow at chena lakes - of course I've never seen any fish bigger than fish sticks, but we have non-stop action every time. Small egg hook, single salmon egg, 8-12 feet of water and fish a couple feet below the ice - my two kids usually require fish released or new bait faster than I can keep up.

              actually I'm hoping to get them out there this weekend if it works out

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks for the report

                well good luck if you go and let me know if you would little more than a week and ill be back in the great state again

                Comment


                • #9
                  Quartz

                  Anyone heard how Quartz has been? Headed down there today.

                  Shawn
                  AKShawn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bigcox View Post
                    Yes.....its been that bad lately. Its really hard to get motivated to ice fish when it is so slow. You kind of get spoiled when your out ice fishing in November and December, when the fishing is great... I'll second you on Chena Lakes, but I'm willing to bet its slow there also.

                    Fish On!
                    Thats pretty depressing!!!!

                    Shawn, please post your luck out at Quartz. I'm gonna be taking my mid tour leave in about a week and plan on hitting up Quartz atleast once.
                    sigpic
                    Proudly Serving Since 1997
                    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
                    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      heard from several friend they've been doing well the last couple of weeks they've been catching some nice Burbot.Other than that I havent been out myself. Getting to antsy with baiting season coming on.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Skunked

                        5 hours, and nothing but the good time I enjoyed with my family. Maybe next time.
                        AKShawn

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AKShawn View Post
                          5 hours, and nothing but the good time I enjoyed with my family. Maybe next time.
                          Yeah sorry to hear that, don't say I didn't warn you that it is slow around here.

                          Fish On!
                          You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


                          http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Interior ice fishing?

                            Wheres the beef?

                            I will not be going out til April (Sith).

                            The fishing has been cold the places I have been. Going to schedule ink work for this weekend.
                            sigpic
                            Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                            www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sorry to hear

                              but a day on the hard water with the fam will be better then a day in iraq so ill try it and if anything goes ill let you all know. if anyone is goin to try it out hit me up ill be around after the first of the month. good luck to all and happy fishing

                              Matt

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X