Go to non-bait king rig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go to non-bait king rig.

It's a few months out till my return to Alaska....but I am just kicking around ideas...highlighting things in Cabelas....Anyways. What is everyone's go to river set up? I think my best rig was big green corkies and red yarn with pencil lead and a 3 foot leader. I'm looking to expand my options for this trip...just "fishing" for some new ideas.

I am assuming that you will be fishing from the bank. What rivers would help also. Either way I would go with spinners. Vibraxes are my favorite but I am going to be looking at the kodiak custom spinners this year. Spin n Glo is tough to beat also.

KLICKMAN

Comment

Size 6 skykomish sunrise
      I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Other alternatives to the venerable Spin-N-Glo are:

1) Beau-Mac's Flash-N-Spin Cheaters

2) Martin Tackle Thin-Twins with your choice of beads Corkies, Okies, or Cheaters.
        "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
        sigpic
        The KeenEye MD

Comment

Rigs

This will be for the Mat Su Valley. Mostly Montana Creek and Clear Creek. I'm not looking for flies, it's kind of a dick move to use a fly rod in those areas... I'm taking an 8 and a 9 foot muskie rod for those two places. Also I think I might try a kwikfish....

Comment

Originally posted by SheHateMe View Post
            This will be for the Mat Su Valley. Mostly Montana Creek and Clear Creek. I'm not looking for flies, it's kind of a dick move to use a fly rod in those areas... I'm taking an 8 and a 9 foot muskie rod for those two places. Also I think I might try a kwikfish....
            you don't need to use a fly rod to fish flies
            I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

I know....but I have this weird thing about doing that...I don't know why. Also I wont use bait....

Comment

#6 Blue, Hot Pink or Hot orange Vibrax.
                "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Originally posted by SheHateMe View Post
                  If you don't like swinging flies try swinging spoons, spinners, or plugs.... have caught 'em all three ways.

The venerable Pixee has caught more kings than any other spoon in AK.

The Vibrax or heavier Mepps have probably caught more kings together than all other brands combined.

And while I am the biggest KwikFish fan around, I reserve mine almost exclusively for backtrolling. I would rather recommend a Mag Wart (or Brads Wiggler) for bank fishing.

Find a likely spot just downriver from the Montana mouth. Cast into the seam where the silty Su meets the clear water of Montana. Either freespool a bit of line to let your hardware sink -OR- free-float your plug downriver along the seam. Click your reel over and let the line tighten with your rod tip extended away from the bank as far as it will reach. Your rod tip will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know.... the thump of the spoon, the vibration of the spinner, or the wiggle of the plug..... just let it swing across the current, reeling only if you feel your hardware ticking bottom. With the diving plug, don't reel until it has completed its slow swing crosscurrent. Once your chosen lure has crossed over to your side of the river, then reel it back upstream to your position SLOWLY with the rod fully extended over the water.

Don't be too quick to swing back with the rod when you get a bite. Instead reel into the bite and let the rod load up before swinging for the hookset.

Good luck and remember to post a pic of your success!
                  "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                  sigpic
                  The KeenEye MD

Comment

BTW you need to get BELOW the heart of the combat zone to make the technique in my last post work.

DON'T try it where there's a dozen guys immediately below your position.
                    sigpic
                    The KeenEye MD

Comment

I fish them areas religiously and have to ask to kind of just stay with what a "majority" are fishing. I'd hate to try and bobber fish eggs in an area of fellas tossin' blades. Not saying YOU are.

The Pixie and Mepps Aglia #5''s have the weight to get down to where you need to. If you have to go too far down the river from montana watch out for the debris. Some nice snags the further down ya get!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	king on Anchor w. planer, hotshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2461891I'm a flyfisher, however, occasionally I like to try new things. I LOVE to take my saltwater king rod with my pink side planer and river fish the kings with a hotshot. It has done 'reel' well for me and quite often outfishes everyone around. The great thing about it is you can slide it out right behind that great holding water (maybe behind structure of some kind) and let it sit there till the unlikely suspect pulls in. The hotshot can be directed anywhere in the river you like for as long as you like. Heck, put it in a (stout) rodholder if you want.
                        Its a gas!
                        Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                        WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                          [ATTACH]14860[/ATTACH]I'm a flyfisher, however, occasionally I like to try new things. I LOVE to take my saltwater king rod with my pink side planer and river fish the kings with a hotshot.
                          I thought I was the only one crazy enough to use a planer board in the river. High novelty factor for sure, and it works!

Comment

Great post Planer boards sound the business

Hi Im coming back to fish the kenai pen again this year back end of July and I have been wondering about this method and how to rig it.they used to do something similar here in Scotland long ago with about 12 flies for sea trout and brown trout in the larger rivers.
                            Graham

Comment

sideplaner fishing........

I fished the Kasilof Wednesday and landed one Steelhead with the sideplaner hotshot method. Missed 2 or 3 other strikes in about 4 hrs time. (I'll have to check my hook sharpness) There were about 10 other fisherman there and only 2 other fish landed by them, and that was prior to me getting there.
                              Planers work great if the flow is correct. I'll try to take some pics and post some info with it soon. There was a learning curve and may be better ways than I have, but I think I have a pretty good system now.
                              Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                              WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X