Copper river fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper river fishing?

I am from maine, headed to alaska this summer to work on the Copper river north of the million dollar bridge.

was wondering if any body would share tips, tidbits, techniques as how to fish the dirty waters of the copper.

I am bring fly, spin , and bait cast gear, but would love to have input from some seasoned salmon anglers. I assume most of my fishing will be done from shore.

thanks a bunch

Bowhunt302

Originally posted by Bowhunt302 View Post
    I am from maine, headed to alaska this summer to work on the Copper river north of the million dollar bridge.

was wondering if any body would share tips, tidbits, techniques as how to fish the dirty waters of the copper.

I am bring fly, spin , and bait cast gear, but would love to have input from some seasoned salmon anglers. I assume most of my fishing will be done from shore.

thanks a bunch

Bowhunt302
    Sport-fishing the Copper River would be pretty dang difficult! I'm not sure if anyone does...

Wayyyyy too rough and silty....plus there are a gazillion different channels / braids-- none of which are clear either.

I'd try the Alaganik Slough (closer to the airport). They get a lot of reds and silvers in there!

Comment

how big of streams (inlets, tributarys) have to be to attract salmon into them?

Is the silt really that difficult to fish in?

Comment

Copper

The silt in the Copper can be so bad that you might not see a 50 pound king, 6 inches under the water surface.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

6" beneath the surface? I've never been able to see a king in the Copper until it surfaces.

I don't know that the copper is unfishable to sportsfisherman, but it certainly will be close to unfishable. The copper has the consistancy and visability of watered down concrete.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Too thick to drink and too thin to plow...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
              6" beneath the surface? I've never been able to see a king in the Copper until it surfaces.

I don't know that the copper is unfishable to sportsfisherman, but it certainly will be close to unfishable. The copper has the consistancy and visability of watered down concrete.
              Modestly speaking........of course. The slit fills up any opening you have in the fish wheels. Someone tried to drive a Toyota across a couple of years back north of the fish wheels at the bridge near Chitna. I can only imagine what it looked like two months latter when they finally were able to tow it out.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Flip a fly with enough weight to get it too the bottom less than a foot from a cut bank or at the first bit of moving water on a point bar, you'll eventually catch a red
                I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

[quote=Bowhunt302;447452]how big of streams (inlets, tributarys) have to be to attract salmon into them?

Bowhunt,

You would be surprised at what a salmon can do. One time, my dad and I were out moose hunting, and all of a sudden we hear all sorts of splashing. We look around the bend of the trail, and right there was an old spawner red! The "creek" that he was is has about 5 inches deep, and about a foot wide. I couldn't believe it! He was in some trouble for sure...:eek:
                  Ryan from Wasilla

Comment

Bank Fishing the Copper River?

Yea I think its to silty to fish....I would use a large spin n glow with yarn on the hooks bright colors...if I ever fished there?

Click below

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...6751fe636fc6eb

TSS
                    sigpic
                    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Originally posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
                      Yea I think its to silty to fish....I would use a large spin n glow with yarn on the hooks bright colors...if I ever fished there?

Click below

TSS
                      A simple yes would have done.....
                      sigpic
                      Proudly Serving Since 1997
                      The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
                      "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Comment

Click below

TSS

So I take it you're in the market for a new netter???

Nice fish! Great video
                        Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Hey we don't allow no may'nahs in this country Just bring a spinning rod and a fly rod and hit all the smaller clear creeks out there. The creeks closer to Cordova are loaded with reds in june and july with silvers to follow later in the summer, lots of dollies too. You'll have a wicked good time just watch out for the bay'ahs. PM me if you need more info but its going to cost ya some lobstah rolls.
                          sigpic
                          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                          alaskashrimppots.com
                          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                          907 775 1692

Comment

Click below

TSS
                            While you're fishing from the banks of the Copper, you're actually *fishing* in the clearer water that's being dumped in (I suspect by the Klutina)...

Fishing in Copper River water is pointless, IMO. If one were to actually fish the Copper, the advice AKPM gave about flipping a weighted fly is accurate...

Comment

Clarity?

Originally posted by Dr.No View Post
                              While you're fishing from the banks of the Copper, you're actually *fishing* in the clearer water that's being dumped in (I suspect by the Klutina)...

Fishing in Copper River water is pointless, IMO. If one were to actually fish the Copper, the advice AKPM gave about flipping a weighted fly is accurate...
                              Its kinda like having an out of body experience, your there (fishing the banks of the Copper)....but your not (in water suspect of being from the Klutina).
                              sigpic
                              Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                              www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X