pulling the pot ... "the beasts from 80 fathoms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling the pot ... "the beasts from 80 fathoms"

splashed the pot yesterday afternoon, baited it with 4 cod carcasses and dropped it in 500'.
    went out to pull it with lori and a friend of mine today (bushrat has the crud... we left him home listening to the BOG meetings).
    here's the result...

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/0.../video/3331098
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Awesome video homerdave - thanks for the post . Bet I know what you had for dinner!! That was a big octopus for a pot. You guys don't like to eat them or use them for 'but bait?

Comment

octo's

i do really like to eat them, but i didn't feel like dealing with it today. may keep one this summer, easier to butcher them when your hands aren't freezing
      we don't soak bait for halibut, just troll, so no reason to throw it in my freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
        i do really like to eat them, but i didn't feel like dealing with it today. may keep one this summer, easier to butcher them when your hands aren't freezing
        we don't soak bait for halibut, just troll, so no reason to throw it in my freezer.
        Yeah I get you on the freezing hands part . So you just troll for halibut? I've read/heard of people trying that with downriggers but most said it was to much of a pain. I like to jig around structure so "trolling" is kinda foreign to me - care to explain in more detail?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

it would be closer to the truth to say i get all the halibut i want trolling.
          when the 'butts are in i always troll a spoon or hoochie right off the bottom (the kings are there anyway... don't tell ) plenty of chickens between #8-20.
          there are a couple spots where i troll until i get a dinker, then i stop the boat and drift/jig until i get a dinner fish. being on the water nearly every day in the summer i just try to grab a fish whenever i want one... rockfish, halibut, greenling... just depends on what there is where i am.

Comment

Thanks for sharing a great day on the water. Lots of fun and some good eats - I need to wait for the river to get soft before I get some fresh seafood

Comment

Tsk, tsk

No PFDs!:rolleyes:
              I'm so very disappointed Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                it would be closer to the truth to say i get all the halibut i want trolling.
                when the 'butts are in i always troll a spoon or hoochie right off the bottom (the kings are there anyway... don't tell ) plenty of chickens between #8-20.
                there are a couple spots where i troll until i get a dinker, then i stop the boat and drift/jig until i get a dinner fish. being on the water nearly every day in the summer i just try to grab a fish whenever i want one... rockfish, halibut, greenling... just depends on what there is where i am.
                I got ya! Thanks for the post and info. Must be nice to be able to be on the water almost everyday picking up some fresh seafood for dinner.

Comment

The Deadliest Catch: Kachemak Style!!!

Great video HomerDave. Does the Discovery Channel know about this?

Comment

Nice haul on the tanners, Dave! If you ever need a hand. I'd be happy to fly up and do all I can for ya! Great video!

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                      No PFDs!:rolleyes:
                      NAH, he already spent it on new crabbing gear.
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Dave,

Our one peanut gallery comment aside:rolleyes: I thought it was great video! Would have been a fun trip to put on TV..."operation crab"...location X of course

PS...I love octopusWhy do they never keep the octopus:cool:
                        Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

location "X" revealed...

out there off the spit, where all those crab pots are.
                          i like octo too... just don't like butchering them in the freezing cold.

Comment

Looks like fun, Dave. I can't wait to get a boat. Baby, roof, and quads this year. Maybe next year!

Please keep the eye candy coming
                            ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
                            just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Comment

Way to get the tanner fever going!

That was a fun video! Thanks, Dave.......and I figure you didn't keep that octopus cause your lady didn't want to see it on her plate, she was getting pretty skittery with that thing slithering towards her!

Don't you just chop the legs off and throw the head and rest back in the ocean, or is there more to eat on a 'pus than just the legs?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X