Eklutna Tailrace kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eklutna Tailrace kings

I went for a drive today and stopped by the Eklutna Tailrace. Since it's so close to my house, I'll probably try to catch some kings there this year. Any suggestions on how to fish the tailrace? I want to get whatever I need tweaked and ready before the season. Thanks!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

All I can say is good luck with that. I have fished and fished and fished Eklutna for kings and silvers, and I have never caught a king. They are there...and in good numbers. They splash and swirl all around your line, but nothing I have tried has consistently gotten anything but dollies and smolt to bite.

And I know I'm not alone, because you will hear about it on these boards and others, and if you go you will witness it. It is a dead-end fishery that was worth a shot but IMO Fish and Game should quit wasting the smolt there. Very, very few kings are caught, and certainly not enough to justify it, but they keep trying.

Ok, sorry...off the soap box now. I do well for silvers there, just have to show up before the sun and people. Kings...I'm stupified. I've tried every trick I know, made up a few, and watched thousands of fishing hours get wasted by others doing the same thing. I've had the closest luck flipping into the Knik right at the mouth or just downstream from the cleaning table. I've hooked a couple, but then they get in the bigger current and overhangs and it's tough to corral them.

Comment

Lots of Hrs=no fish @ tailrace

I have several hundred hrs fishing at the tailrace for kings over the last 4 years. In that time, I've landed 2 and hooked about a half dozen. I only fish the tailrace on the weekdays for relaxation, and have learned that the odds are stacked against you. If you follow the fishing reports in the spring, you'd swear that the fish are jumping onto the banks, but I believe that fish and game does this to alleviate pressure off of the wild stock in other SC streams and rivers. Last year my total king catch was 31 at other rivers, and 0 at the tailrace. I fished more hours at the tailrace than the other rivers combined......It is a good place to go and people watch. .....some crazy characters down there fishing, and drinking beers.....Oh yeah....and don't forget to bring some cigarettes for the handicapped guy in the orange vest. He smokes camels, and he'll be hitting you up. :rolleyes:

Comment

Thanks for the info, not what I was hoping for, but what can you do? I'm not much of a king salmon fisherman anyway. How's the silver fishing?
        ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
        just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Comment

Tough to catch anything

I have tried it and never so much as had a bite. I have watched more than fished and have seen very few fish caught. That said, I do know someone that fishes there every day with good success. But I think he is the only one I know that can catch fish there.
          Wasilla Real Estate News
          www.valleymarket.com

Comment

Eggs on the bottom work. But I have had better success there for silvers than kings.
            It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, the silvers are a totally different story. I do well enough that I'm not going to divulge my secrets, but they are much more catchable then kings (hey, the silvers actually bite). Watch what people are catching them on, and avoid the mid-day. Best bite is first light. Vibrax and variations of roe-soaking all work.

Comment

i dont even mess around down there at the tailrace. got me thinking though has anyone tried at the slough just above the glenn bridge? i know the reds hole up in there when they are running i wonder if the kings do this as well?

Comment

Originally posted by akriverrat View Post
                  i dont even mess around down there at the tailrace. got me thinking though has anyone tried at the slough just above the glenn bridge? i know the reds hole up in there when they are running i wonder if the kings do this as well?
                  Not sure...

I do know that king fishing at the race has been so bad that last year F & G opened it to fishing in the Knik for something like 2 miles downstream of the tailrace to try increase the catch. It's pretty rough bank-fishing along there below the tailrace, though. Might work in a boat pretty well, though.

I fish silvers a little below the tailrace using a typical flipping technique, and catch quite a few reds as well. Got a chum last year, too...not sure where he was going.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                    Got a chum last year, too...not sure where he was going.
                    If my memory is correct, chums go to the tail race, too. I fished it in the late 90's and we hammered them.
                    sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

lots of chums head up the matanuska as well.

Comment

sockeyes go up it as well. If it were me I'd fish between 3 am and 6 am for kings
                        I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                          If my memory is correct, chums go to the tail race, too. I fished it in the late 90's and we hammered them.
                          Yeah, I seem to recall fishing for pinks and chums there at one point years ago.

Definitely agree with ak powder monkey on the times to fish, too. You have the most success and the least amount of people. It is a very crowded fishery now. Every time I went for silvers last summer there was the same group of 4-5 guys holding their spot (of course the best spot, but they won't let anyone else fish there :mad. They were literally there every day, well before dawn. I think they might have just camped out there. Same spot. And they caught a lot of fish. I would have loved to see a posession limit search on them.

Comment

Chums, reds, and kings have been stocked in the tailrace, I don't believe pinks have dropped in the knik though. I've caught them on the lower sections of the Matanuska but never in the Knik. I'm sure there are a few swimming around in there, but not enough to make a big deal about.

You guys can take your tailrace fishing at the parking lot. I'll fish other spots.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                              Yeah, I seem to recall fishing for pinks and chums there at one point years ago.

Definitely agree with ak powder monkey on the times to fish, too. You have the most success and the least amount of people. It is a very crowded fishery now. Every time I went for silvers last summer there was the same group of 4-5 guys holding their spot (of course the best spot, but they won't let anyone else fish there :mad. They were literally there every day, well before dawn. I think they might have just camped out there. Same spot. And they caught a lot of fish. I would have loved to see a posession limit search on them.

Wouldn't do much good if they were vaccume sealing and freezing them.
                              I still can't believe that they are deemed not in posession after they are processed and frozen. It doesn't make sense to this Canuck. :confused: :confused: :confused:
                              sigpic
                              www.arcticangler.ca
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X