Crab pot line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab pot line

What kind of rope as well as what size rope do you use on your crab pots? Thanks Guys!

I just use my shrimp pot lines. If they are too long, I just clip a halibut wt. on, so the floats don't trail off too far.

Comment

What do you use for shrimp pot lines?

Comment

Lead line

1/4" lead line. Have used 3/8 braided nylon and even poly. But poly floats so don't leave a long line of it on the surface. Works better between the pots though.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

question

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          1/4" lead line. Have used 3/8 braided nylon and even poly. But poly floats so don't leave a long line of it on the surface. Works better between the pots though.
          Between the pots? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Comment

Here's what i tell folks to do, use a 600' shot sinking rope from your buoy down to a floating rope on your pots, the floating rope stays off the bottom and helps your pots from hanging down on the bottom. I suggest using 5/16" size rope but a size lighter or heavier won't hurt a thing and it depends on how much room you have to stow the rope when not fishing. I stock a high strength rope in both sinking(non leaded) and floating styles and this year will also have a soft lay braided sinking rope.
            OK here's what i suggest for rigging,
            600' sinking rope from buoy to first pot
            600' floating rope between pots, if you space your pots at 100' apart you will use 400' of the floating rope then you will have another 200' of floating rope to add to your buoyline for a total of 800' of buoyline and using my 25% extra buoyline theory you can safely fish down to aprox 650' for shrimp, the folks in Valdez fish shallower so you gotta adjust the buoyline for that area but you still need 25-30% more buoyline than depth your fishing.
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
              What do you use for shrimp pot lines?
              I use (from pot up)...

100' of 5/16" poly (floats) between pots with 100' after the last pot then 600' of 5/16" sinking rope to buoys.
              sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Or you could just listen to that potbuilder guy above.
                sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Sinking Leadline & Poly

I use sinking lead line for the areas under 200 feet depth. On the areas over 200 feet I use yellow poly all the way. About 80 feet down I tie two huge truck axle bearings on the line to weight it down so it cant float on top and it keeps the bouy straight.
                  How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Originally posted by fred_styles View Post
                    Between the pots? Can you elaborate?

Thanks
                    Floating rope doesn't hang down in the rocks like a sinking rope can. Some folks fish more than one pot per line, i myself fish 5 pots per line.
                    sigpic
                    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                    alaskashrimppots.com
                    907 775 1692

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Potbuilder. Sometimes I only have time for a quick response between teaching kids.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                        Thanks Potbuilder. Sometimes I only have time for a quick response between teaching kids.
                        Dave,
                        Sorry i kind of hyjacked that question, just couldn't help myself .
                        sigpic
                        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                        alaskashrimppots.com
                        907 775 1692

Comment

Thanks, Steve/Potbuilder, but...

I guess the extra 25% is so if your pots slide down hill you have some slack to keep from pulling your buoy under and losing your pots? I've been running no more than 2 pots on a buoy because I lost a nice pot with a too-small bouy and no slack. I use bigger bouys now

So, I like the extra line idea, but where I am out of Valdez, there is always some slope and I would worry about losing 5 pots unless I had a humongous buoy!

Another question: do you put any weight in each pot??:confused:

Comment

weight

I have weights in my three bottom pots and I put a clip on about 10' up from the 5th pot.

I need to get a bigger bouy - thinking that I will just add another of the same size up the line a few feet with a styrofoam floater in between (jus in case a sniper gitz em

Comment

How much weight does one need when in Cook Inlet and the tides are ripping? Is a the pot enough weight to keep them in place?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X