Spoons for silvers in the salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoons for silvers in the salt

I will be fishing Coho in Homer this summer and was wondering what your favorite colors are when you troll with spoons in the salt.

i dont troll spoons, mainly jig when i do get out there. cast and retreive sometimes and chartruse seems to be a killer although ive caught them on red as well. i think getting the right speed and actions is more critical than color.

Comment

Crocodile spoons.
      colors.

Silver spoon with red, blue, green, or metal flash

Gold spoon with metal flash

I will always have one rod hooked up with one spoon.
      Living the Alaskan Dream
      Gary Keller
      Anchorage, AK

Comment

Salmon Prop Lure

One of the hottest lures I have used is the "Salmon Prop" available from B&J. Green or Silver & Green seemed to work the best.
        How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

2nd the motions for Crocs

I go with Alaska Gray on the Crocodile spoons in the 1 oz variety. I usually fish silver with the white pearly sticker on it, but also use silver spoons with the blue or green stripe. When I am trolling the downriggers I always have one Croc on at all times. No matter what we fish on the other rigger, the Croc usually gives the best results.
          One other thing I always do with those spoons is superglue one of those plastic squiggley eyes on the front end. Something about that eye seems to work!

Comment

a few different colors would be good to have...but if I could have only one color it would definitely be chartreuse.
            "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Comment

some combination of chrome and green. I like coyote spoons. I like small tomic plugs better...

Comment

stack wolverine silver streaks of many colors till you find what they like each day.
                Paul

Comment

little cleo

silver with green or blue strip.
                  Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                  www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

Rather than spoons for trolling, I've had much more success with Luhr-Jensen Tee-Spoons. A spinner rather than a spoon in size 5 for Coho's is my ticket. One thing I do is swap out the factory treble hook. I put on a single hook (2/0 3/0) using a barrel swivel and split ring between the hook and the lure body. I had a couple of coho roll and break the factory treble until someone turned me on to the single hook and extra swivel. I do throw 1oz Krocodiles (Silver, also with the single hook and a tiny hoochie) once I find a school of coho.

Comment

Acme Sidewinder
                      3/4 ounce in silver and chartreuse
                      cast it or troll it
                      can be hard to find but worth the effort

I'm a big fan of krocodiles as well.
                      Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary W. View Post
                        One other thing I always do with those spoons is superglue one of those plastic squiggley eyes on the front end. Something about that eye seems to work!
                        Never thought of that. Sounds like a good idea
                        Living the Alaskan Dream
                        Gary Keller
                        Anchorage, AK

Comment

Im not big on spoons for silvers....or any salmon...i prefer to use the original standby: the silver/silver super vibrax! the smaller the waters, the smaller the size i will use....for the little clearwater tribs of the big su, i will use #2 #3 or #4 fished very slowly close to the bottom, ive also picked up some trophy rainbows and dollies this way....for the salt i like to use the 5 or 6, fished at a pretty high speed, with stops and starts.....sometimes if they wont take that, switch it up with a blue body and a red blade....it rarely, if ever, fails to get your limit...for the kings i also like to use tee spoons and wiggle warts or kwikfish...but of course most of the time in swifter waters you can find me driftin and flippin a yarn or roe setup.... :eek: no better way to find em!
                          sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Thomas Bouyant

In salt water and just jig. But beware, the original treble on these is weak and the big silvers will keep them!

Comment

Also like magnum pro-kings.
                              Paul

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X