Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post! Saying hi, and question on POW steelhead.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First post! Saying hi, and question on POW steelhead.

    First post!!!A little about myself.
    I am a member of another forum down in the PNW, own a boat graphics/graphic design/sign business, and a small cabin and boat rental business on Prince of wales. I try and fish AK as often as I can. Usually a few times to POW, and another trip to the Bristol Bay area. I find Alaska to be such a special place, and am honored to own a piece of AK. It's been a life long dream!
    I am inquiring about the steelhead forecast for SE alaska, primarily
    Prince of Wales Island. I'd to come and fish in April.
    Last year it really never amounted to much, very slow year. Hoping I could get some advice or update from a member there. Feel free to PM me if you can help me out. I would Sure appreciate it very much!

    Thanks,
    GBS

  • #2
    I would like to welcome you to the forum, no info from me on south east, but would like to thank you for your winning design last year on the ifish plug,,, it came in handy for us on the Kenai.

    Comment


    • #3
      cool! That's great to hear! I landed some nice kings on it myself.
      Thanks for the note!
      Brad

      Comment


      • #4
        ifisher?

        Welcome to the board. Are you an Ifisher? I have certainly seen your moniker there.

        This is a great place, very active with many very knowledgeable folk. Enjoy

        btw, I am scudrunner on Ifish

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
          Welcome to the board. Are you an Ifisher? I have certainly seen your moniker there.

          This is a great place, very active with many very knowledgeable folk. Enjoy

          btw, I am scudrunner on Ifish

          Yep I am. Long time member and sponsor. But I've heard good things about the folks on this board too. Glad I checked it out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by greenbuttskunk View Post
            First post!!!A little about myself.
            I am a member of another forum down in the PNW, own a boat graphics/graphic design/sign business, and a small cabin and boat rental business on Prince of wales.
            Welcome aboard GBS!

            GBS is a man of many talents, folks.

            He and I collaborated on the graphic that pops up every time I make a post on this board.

            Back to your inquiry... give this guy a call:

            Assistant Area Management Biologist
            Steve McCurdy (907) 826-2498
            "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
            sigpic
            The KeenEye MD

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here, and I'm sure someone has some experiance with your question.

              Comment


              • #8
                Welcome aboard GBS I posted to this thread yesterday but I don't see my post oh well this is a great site for Alaskan info.

                Mike
                Mike Miller
                www.MillerMarineProducts.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Football=steelhead

                  Maybe I just remember it better because I miss Broncos games but the best times for us to catch steelhead is during the NFL season. The best day we ever had was last year on the Thorne River. 2 of us caught and released 17 fish in 3 hours 6-12lbs. Didn't fight like you would hope (the water has slushy on top) but lots of fish. Granted by April I'm usually catching kings and halibut in my nice warm and dry boat not busting brush in the rain looking to run into a steelhead. For me their just a cheap way to beat back cabin fever!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Got one, and only one

                    Well.... went and tried to catch some steel on Sunday..... Fished hard for 5-6 hours or so caught one 7lb fish. Fished 2 streams and one river, caught 2 dollies and a small cutt, the one steelhead, and had 2 takes that I think were also steelhead (all the fish but 1 dolly out of the river.) Water was cold, fish were just barely taking (using size 16 fly of my own design). Saw one other fisherman, he said he had fished for the last 3 weekends and only caught one fish( jig/float fishing, also yesterday) so we agreed that we were early and things are going to heat up late in the month. First time out with the fly rod since November.... my arm and shoulder are sore! :eek: I guess 12oz. curls don't keep you in fishing shape!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SEOceanking View Post
                      Well.... went and tried to catch some steel on Sunday..... Fished hard for 5-6 hours or so caught one 7lb fish. Fished 2 streams and one river, caught 2 dollies and a small cutt, the one steelhead, and had 2 takes that I think were also steelhead (all the fish but 1 dolly out of the river.) Water was cold, fish were just barely taking (using size 16 fly of my own design). Saw one other fisherman, he said he had fished for the last 3 weekends and only caught one fish( jig/float fishing, also yesterday) so we agreed that we were early and things are going to heat up late in the month. First time out with the fly rod since November.... my arm and shoulder are sore! :eek: I guess 12oz. curls don't keep you in fishing shape!
                      You want to stay in shape in the off season curl quarts!!!!!
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X