Catching Sockeye in the salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Sockeye in the salt

I'm curious as to what would be the best way to target Sockeye while fishing salt. I have never fished for Sockeye and wonder what to use and type of water to look for. I will be fishing all around the Southeast area in July and August.

I've heard to troll with a red hook, no bait. Haven't tried it.

Comment

I tried it when I lived in kodiak never did very well. I tried it three times and only caught one fish. Wasn't worth the gas to be trolling around

Comment

The best would be to troll a huge gillnet
        From what I've read, they are not easy to get. I've heard of the plain red hook as well.

Comment

troll through the seafood aisle is the only way I know

Comment

They fish for them near Seattle using that http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/sockeye/articles.htm This was one of the articles I found.
            If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by moose-head View Post
              They fish for them near Seattle using that http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/sockeye/articles.htm This was one of the articles I found.
              Commercial trollers in SE and BC have done it for at least 30 years using a similar rig. But instead of a bare hook, they use "bugs." These are nothing more than a single leg cut from a hoochie folded in half and tied at the fold right up against the eye of the hook. Some use mono, some use dental floss for the tie job. Popular colors are orange, red, pink, blue and green. You'll be amazed how often you'll hook silvers on the same rig if they're hanging with the sockeye.
              "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
              Merle Haggard

Comment

snag em

find a school and use a 2oz snagging hook. They are plankton eaters and are very hard to attract to anything.
                (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
                Rich Adventures
                PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Comment

a gillnet is probably the best

for sport fishing snagging is the preffered method.
                  I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Macushlah,
                    I have caught them using a downrigger and really simple gear. First find them on the fish finder and keep your rigger in the "zone." Tie a 000 or 00 chrome/silver flasher onto your line and then follow it with a snell tied BARE 2/0 red octopus hook with a 10"-12" leader! That's not a typo, you really have to keep the leader short to the flasher/dodger and don't use any bait except for a little krill scent if you can find it. Let your gear out around 50 ft. from the boat and don't clip it off too close to the downrigger ball. The ball will spook the fish. I like the kelp cutter or Les Davis flasher the best, and keep it chrome with silver prism tape on one side... Troll as slow as possible too! It's extremely important to stay very slow, but just fast enough for the dodger to make slow revolutions, (1-11/2 mph.) If you don't have downriggers you can tie a 6 oz. banana wieght or dipsy diver around 40" above the flasher. Good luck!
                    Barleydog

Comment

I used to catch them at Eshamy casting into schools with a bare treble hook attached to a 3" ball-bearing type chain that was attached to another bare treble hook. Worked really well for us, and no, we weren't snagging. Never tried trolling...we just paddled around in a raft chasing the schools.

Comment

"KENAI FLY BABY" Back in the early 80's when we were chasing butts off of deep creek (pre tractor days), they would come through there by the gazillions. Yes gazillions. Throw the "kenai fly" on and grip em and rip em. Just make sure you dont grip and rip the zodiac. I have "heard" about that happening
                        Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
                          "KENAI FLY BABY" Back in the early 80's when we were chasing butts off of deep creek (pre tractor days), they would come through there by the gazillions. Yes gazillions. Throw the "kenai fly" on and grip em and rip em. Just make sure you dont grip and rip the zodiac. I have "heard" about that happening
                          Gazillions is the official Fish and Game number, too. That's how they measure the Kenai and Kasilof reds. Here's a quote from them determining commercial openings:

Biologist #1: "How many gazillion reds came through today?"

Biologist #2: "A couple gazillion."

Biologist #1: "Well, I guess we'd better issue an Emergency Order for commercial fishing so there aren't gazillions of fish for sport fisherman to catch."

Biologist #2: "Good call."

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                            Gazillions is the official Fish and Game number, too. That's how they measure the Kenai and Kasilof reds. Here's a quote from them determining commercial openings:

Biologist #1: "How many gazillion reds came through today?"

Biologist #2: "A couple gazillion."

Biologist #1: "Well, I guess we'd better issue an Emergency Order for commercial fishing so there aren't gazillions of fish for sport fisherman to catch."

Biologist #2: "Good call."

Hey if I can count that way why cant AF&G

They used to run the shore line right past deep creek. It was a grip em and rip em thing. Maybe not a gazillion but alot of bazillion
                            Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
                              Hey if I can count that way why cant AF&G

They used to run the shore line right past deep creek. It was a grip em and rip em thing. Maybe not a gazillion but alot of bazillion
                              Aaaahh...that was all tongue-in-cheek since F & G in that area is mostly concerned with making sure commfisherman get the majority of the fish. I'm not a big fan of the way they manage the Kenai fisheries...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X