Homer for Halibut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homer for Halibut

My wife and I are planning a trip to Homer this year do to some Halibut fishing. It will be the second trip in our boat, which is a riverboat and will limit us to good weather nad not too far out. We are strictly novices at this type of fishing, we went last year over July 4th. Had a great time and even caught a few, we had some good weather so were able to head out some 15 miles towards the inlet.
    The question is: is May a ok time for Halibut in Homer? any specific time better than others? are they typically in closer at that time?
    Thanks for any help/advice
    He who know nothing, still knows nothing

All about luck

The best day I had in homer last year in my 18' boat was in May.
    May 19th.

Caught a limit of 20-40lbs.

I have found that as long as you in a bay or off the boat by 1-3 pm when the wind picts up may is a good month.

Soak bait , soak bait, soak bait. I had two poles soaking bait and worked a small jig on a salmon rod for fun.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

May is usually a great time for closer to shore halibut, most of the fish come in to feed, following hooligan and the herring i would presume. You can find alot of fish in waters less than 100 feet and inside of 4 miles form shore. GREAT time of year to combine halibut with some early salt king fishing. great area from the homer bluffs all the way up to Deep Creek.
      www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Last week of May

It was good for us.Caught 16 fish in 4 days last year.Our best day was 8 in about 2 hours.We would try to leave the harbor by 6:00am and be in no later than1:00pm.Would not even try to go out if it was rough in the morning.This has been the family vacation destination for the last 5 years and it lets us put away some halibut for the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by POLE BENDER View Post
          May is usually a great time for closer to shore halibut, most of the fish come in to feed, following hooligan and the herring i would presume. You can find alot of fish in waters less than 100 feet and inside of 4 miles form shore. GREAT time of year to combine halibut with some early salt king fishing. great area from the homer bluffs all the way up to Deep Creek.
          I hope I am not asking for any secrets, but do you just run parallel to the short and look for some structure with the depth finder?

Comment

Charts

I recommend that you visit your local chart shop and buy the most detailed marine charts for the area that you would like to fish and look for structure.

While Homer has a great launch and it really doesn't matter if the surf is rolling in or not, I prefer to pick my days and launch out of Anchor point or Deep Creek and fish in close. In May, you would likely do very well in less than 1 mile from shore! I have several friends who launch a drift boat from the beach and row out and do extremely well, without a gps or a depth finder at that!

I agree with the previous post that the fish will likely be in much closer and will likely be a bit smaller than what you could find in July, but there are fish and plenty of them. You could also try to troll for some kings during the tide change during that time.

Good luck, and be safe

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
              I hope I am not asking for any secrets, but do you just run parallel to the short and look for some structure with the depth finder?
              drop me a pm with your e-mail address, i have a few spots that i am willing to share that are close.
              for the most part its easy, look for the little bit of structure thereis in the inlet, and go to it w/ gps. pretty much guarantee you that it is only close to what is actually there and any topo llines are going to beoff the way that things change out there, but you will be close.
              www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
                I recommend that you visit your local chart shop and buy the most detailed marine charts for the area that you would like to fish and look for structure.

While Homer has a great launch and it really doesn't matter if the surf is rolling in or not, I prefer to pick my days and launch out of Anchor point or Deep Creek and fish in close. In May, you would likely do very well in less than 1 mile from shore! I have several friends who launch a drift boat from the beach and row out and do extremely well, without a gps or a depth finder at that!

I agree with the previous post that the fish will likely be in much closer and will likely be a bit smaller than what you could find in July, but there are fish and plenty of them. You could also try to troll for some kings during the tide change during that time.

Good luck, and be safe
                I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point scale 1:82,662 And Anchor point to Kalgin Island, scale 1:100,000. Are these adequate or do I need a diffrent scale?
                Thanks for the help.

Comment

Perfect

I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point scale 1:82,662 And Anchor point to Kalgin Island, scale 1:100,000. Are these adequate or do I need a diffrent scale?
                  Thanks for the help.
                  Take those and with a good strong cup of coffee (or other beverage of choice) and study the areas within your comfort zone. Look for particular structure in those areas.

When fishing the shallows, you will be able to use lighter weight, lighter tackle and so on, so it can be a very enjoyable trip.

Cheers

Comment

well...

I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point
                    You might try that compass rose in the middle of the bay:rolleyes:
                    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Good spot

Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
                      You might try that compass rose in the middle of the bay:rolleyes:
                      I agree that this is a traditionally good spot, however I would feel very exposed in a river boat! You are out in the big water, in the middle of nowhere. If the weather were great and the tides were such that you could get out there and back before noon, it may be a great place but it would take some time to make a run if the weather were to change.

There are other spots as good along the shoreline (5 miles or less).

Cheers

Comment

oh its not that bad. I think you could pull this off without too much trouble.
                        "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

I've been wanting to catch halibut in my boat but wasnt sure if I could or not. I have a 17' jon boat so im limited as well. Could it be done if I use common sence and stay close to shore? within a mile or two. Sorry to hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by bruinman View Post
                            I've been wanting to catch halibut in my boat but wasnt sure if I could or not. I have a 17' jon boat so im limited as well. Could it be done if I use common sence and stay close to shore? within a mile or two. Sorry to hijack.
                            Absolutely, you just have to use your head. Don't go out if the weather is questionable, and if you do go out, at the first sign of a change in weather, head back in. Halibut can be caught close to shore pretty easily.
                            Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Originally posted by bruinman View Post
                              If you drift in from Anchor River EARLY you should be able to get out just a 1/4 mile or so and do well for salmon/halibut.
                              sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X