Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somone elaborate on baloon/soda bottle shore fishin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akriverrat
    replied
    pvc and an electric trolling motor, pvc glue, few large hose clamps and you could be in business.

Leave a comment:

• HainesAKFisherman
    replied
    That radio controle "torpedo" was awesome.. the great thing about it is that it can travel in choppy wavy water better than a small radio control boat.

How fun.

Leave a comment:

• akriverrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    Gents,

I've been to the North Island of New Zealand. I have never done this but I talked at length with a restaurant owner about "torpedo fishing."

As I recall they send the torpedo out 300 meters or so and then use a radio control to "drop the line" and then bring it back.

He said it's a great way to spend a day... beer... something mechanical to mess with .......and they caught a lot of fish. The link shows one kinda like they described.....does not seem to be radio controlled though.

The ones he talked about were locally made.

FWIW....

Slim
    now thats a deep creek killer there. looks like they were catching pink snapper maybe. they sure looked yummy.

Leave a comment:

• Slim Wallet
    replied
    Kiwi Torpedo

Gents,

I've been to the North Island of New Zealand. I have never done this but I talked at length with a restaurant owner about "torpedo fishing."

As I recall they send the torpedo out 300 meters or so and then use a radio control to "drop the line" and then bring it back.

He said it's a great way to spend a day... beer... something mechanical to mess with .......and they caught a lot of fish. The link shows one kinda like they described.....does not seem to be radio controlled though.

The ones he talked about were locally made.

FWIW....

Slim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=hoNwEbQ-2og
    Last edited by Slim Wallet; 02-19-2009, 16:35. Reason: mispelt word

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Originally posted by FishnMan View Post
    Breaking a couple of wraps of normal sewing thread with a big saltwater rod isn't that hard. I think you might just need some wheaties or something! ;-)
    Nah, it hinges on how much weight you have under the baloon. We use very little so the baloon drifts further and faster, and the bait and leader with no weight is just too "slick" to help the baloon break free. The whole works just skids across the surface when you yank, rather than popping the baloon free. We'd be using weight if there was much current where we were fishing, but with virtually none it's not needed, and it sure slows down the baloon drift.

Best of all, bar none, and fun too, is a good scoped air rifle. You can have a ball "mortaring in" your shots at 100, 150, even 200 yards when you can see where the pellets are landing. Pretty quick you'll be floating out bare baloons just to have something to shoot at while you're waiting for a hit. And that's fun too!

Leave a comment:

• FishnMan
    replied
    wow

Breaking a couple of wraps of normal sewing thread with a big saltwater rod isn't that hard. I think you might just need some wheaties or something! ;-)

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
    Lifesavers definitely work better than thread. You'll be amazed how much yanking and pulling it takes to break thread.

Back in the 60's when we used to fish big sharks of west coast piers, we cut waxed paper into 1-1 1/2" strips and rolled that into "thread" we used to tie the top swivel to a baloon. Worked okay, because it eventually soaked through and you could break it if the rig didn't drop off. Kinda iffy, though. Lifesavers solved it. When I've done it up here I shoot the baloon if there aren't too many folks around.

Best of all is to use a pontoon boat to row your rig offshore as far as you want, drop it, and freespool as you row back. Drag the pontoon boat up onto shore and use the seat for a nice comfortable wait. That's living!

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.
    Lifesavers definitely work better than thread. You'll be amazed how much yanking and pulling it takes to break thread.

Back in the 60's when we used to fish big sharks of west coast piers, we cut waxed paper into 1-1 1/2" strips and rolled that into "thread" we used to tie the top swivel to a baloon. Worked okay, because it eventually soaked through and you could break it if the rig didn't drop off. Kinda iffy, though. Lifesavers solved it. When I've done it up here I shoot the baloon if there aren't too many folks around.

Best of all is to use a pontoon boat to row your rig offshore as far as you want, drop it, and freespool as you row back. Drag the pontoon boat up onto shore and use the seat for a nice comfortable wait. That's living!

Leave a comment:

• JOAT
    replied
    This has been a rather amusing thread. Amusing in how many complicated ways folks can come up with to fish in deeper water, when all you really needed was a BOAT.

Leave a comment:

• Daved
    replied
    What about a potato gun? You can make those cheap and in varied sizes. My brother made one that stands 6 feet tall. He uses acetylene and oxygen and lights it off remote using a spark plug hooked to a electric fence box. We have launched potatoes 200-300 yards. I can't imagine what a 3# lead weight would do. Make sure there are no boats close, you don't want to shoot one over the bow, or into the cabin for that matter. Just the red neck in me, but that sounds slick as snot. Way more exciting than the sling shot or balloon. Big fun on Montana Creek too.

Leave a comment:

• Fishwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
    I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.

Seems like it would work, only problem I see here is how do you get your hook/weight in the thing to release properly without hitting yourself or anyone? I'm imagining me sitting there with a hook in one side of my hand and out the other .... :eek:

Leave a comment:

• Fishwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.

Very cool idea, thanks

Leave a comment:

• Wyo2AK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DRIFTER_016
    replied
    Originally posted by akriverrat View Post
    you could wrap your bait in a nylon sack, stuff it all in a air cannon and pull the trigger :eek:. the giant sling shot idea is a good one too. could probably get into some decent halibut off deepcreek with a setup like these.
    With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
    I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.

Leave a comment:

• mnfish365
    replied
    SurfRocket.com

It would probably be cheaper to make your own but they do work well.

Leave a comment:

• AKmud
    replied
    Just go buy a good (for distance) remote control boat. Put a clip on the rear deck and clip your line into it. You can run the boat out exactly where you want it and give the line a tug to pull it from the clip then run the boat back to shore.

This method was so effective fishing for large breeding stock catfish near dams in Arkansas that they actually had to ban it! I think if the water was fairly calm and you had a good boat, you could really get it out there on the ocean.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X