Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somone elaborate on baloon/soda bottle shore fishin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somone elaborate on baloon/soda bottle shore fishin?

-Been reading alot about people using baloons or pop bottles to get their bait out a good distance offshore. The tactic seems like it would work very well, but I can't imagine how exactly it works. I mean once its out there how do you get the bait to drop? Wont it just hold the bait a few feet under the sea rather than letting it sink to the bottom?

Thanks-
    Nick

shoot the balloon with a 22 when you get it where you want.

Comment

Could you imagine all of the people at the mouth of Montana Creek along the bank of the Su doing that? LMAO, it would be worse there then over here in Iraq.
      sigpic
      Proudly Serving Since 1997
      The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
      "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Comment

Try a kite

Get the biggest kid's kite you can find. Attatch a downrigger release a few feet below the kite on the string and clip your rig to the release. Fly the whole works over the desired drop zone with the bail on your reel open until you get it where you want. Then reel in the slack and yank it off the release and reel in the slack. I tried it in Kodiak for Halibut, and it works if the wind is blowing the right direction. Anyone have an easier method?

Comment

Yep...

Model rockets & sling shots!
          Just be sure to have LOTS of line off the reel and layed on the smooth ground nicely. I think a serious sling shot would do the trick.
          Jim
          Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Comment

Having done a bunch of kite fishing off of San Diego's long range fleet for big yellowfin tuna as a passenger and licensed crewmember, a kite outfit would be the best bet if you're serious. However the tools and know how will come with time. It will be a learning curve. There are companies out there that sell kites for fishing and they come in a couple of sizes that depends on how hard the wind is blowing and how big a bait you are using. Typically, down south, we used 3 different baits, all without a sinker and is intended to fish the surface of the water. The heaviest bait we would use is about a 3-4 pound squid and could probably get a bigger one out if the conditions and fish allowed it.
            Two rods are needed, one with dacron on a decent sized reel attached to a rod that resembled a broom stick, the other is the fishing rod with spectra and the short mono leader. The problem I see with how you want to get some distance is the release in the determined area. The sinker will have to be close to the release and a sharp swing on the fishing rod will release it if the line is tight (which will be hard to do at say 200 yards) then chances are is that the bait and sinker will swing towards you and land somewhere you could have easily casted to. Another dilemma is that the sinker or the bait will swing over the kite line causing a mid air tangle. You then have to reel the kite in by hand (which could be a real chore in high winds) or weld on a special hex bolt and have a powered socket wrench bring it in for you.
            Practice flying a kite because if you wind and it is going down, stop winding, keep that kite in the air and out of the water! If you think winding against the wind is hard, try it against water and a tide...trust me...been there. A wet kite ends that kite until it is dry. If there is little wind, a bigger kite with an oversized balloon tied to the back can work too.
            Anyway, it can be expensive, but if money is no object and you think you can get your money's worth, there are a bunch of stores in Southern California you can find kite supplies with on the internet. Maybe you can be creative with a release system.
            As for using just a balloon on fishing line, that can work too to keep your bait suspended in the water column for a salmon. I don't see why that wouldn't work. All it would be is a giant bobber, but then you also have to deal with the currents with dragging your balloon under.
            I've done a bunch of things to get baits away from a boat, but fishing pelagics in tropical locals is much different than fishing the bottom fish or even salmon in these Alaskan conditions. My best advise to offer is to be where the fish are (further isn't necessarily better, just ask any regularly successful river salmon fisherman) and presentation is key and I'm sure you can catch plenty of fish off the beach.

Comment

here's my method

In Hawaii, this is how we'd do it when fishing for sharks near paerl harbor. Large circle hook on wire leader with fish head for bait. Tie ballon or small trash bag (blown up) to leader with a "few" wraps of ordinary thread. Gently place rig in water and let current carry the package out, releasing line as needed. When rig is where you want it, reel in slack line, give it a good jerk to break the thread, and viola, the bait drifts out/down to da fishies. Worked like a charm. Might be careful to not get cited for littering though..:-)

Comment

air cannon

you could wrap your bait in a nylon sack, stuff it all in a air cannon and pull the trigger :eek:. the giant sling shot idea is a good one too. could probably get into some decent halibut off deepcreek with a setup like these.

Comment

Just go buy a good (for distance) remote control boat. Put a clip on the rear deck and clip your line into it. You can run the boat out exactly where you want it and give the line a tug to pull it from the clip then run the boat back to shore.

This method was so effective fishing for large breeding stock catfish near dams in Arkansas that they actually had to ban it! I think if the water was fairly calm and you had a good boat, you could really get it out there on the ocean.
                  AKmud
                  sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

SurfRocket.com

It would probably be cheaper to make your own but they do work well.

Comment

Originally posted by akriverrat View Post
                      you could wrap your bait in a nylon sack, stuff it all in a air cannon and pull the trigger :eek:. the giant sling shot idea is a good one too. could probably get into some decent halibut off deepcreek with a setup like these.
                      With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
                      I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.
                      sigpic
                      www.arcticangler.ca
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.
                        Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
                          Tie a lifesaver to the balloon, bottle, bag, whatever you're using to float your bait out. Grab a loop in your fishing line just above your bait and put it throught the hole in the lifesaver and double it back over the lifesaver so it will hold (but not end up in a knot). Let the whole mess float out to sea (don't get cited for littering). Eventually the lifesaver will dissolve and you are fishing.

Very cool idea, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                            With a couple of buddies you can get good distance with one of these.

http://www.frattoys.com/index.php?cPath=62_34&gclid=CNak8_Sg3ZgCFShRagodeC hOdA

We use to use them to fire water balloons back and forth between charter boats on lake Ontario during the slow times. It keeps the clients busy and they have a memorable trip even if the fishing was a little slow.
                            I think it would work well to launch sinker and bait.

Seems like it would work, only problem I see here is how do you get your hook/weight in the thing to release properly without hitting yourself or anyone? I'm imagining me sitting there with a hook in one side of my hand and out the other .... :eek:

Comment

What about a potato gun? You can make those cheap and in varied sizes. My brother made one that stands 6 feet tall. He uses acetylene and oxygen and lights it off remote using a spark plug hooked to a electric fence box. We have launched potatoes 200-300 yards. I can't imagine what a 3# lead weight would do. Make sure there are no boats close, you don't want to shoot one over the bow, or into the cabin for that matter. Just the red neck in me, but that sounds slick as snot. Way more exciting than the sling shot or balloon. Big fun on Montana Creek too.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X