jigs or bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jigs or bait?

wondering what you all use for halibut fishing. do you prefer bait or dancin jigs for the big butts. i am assuming that most use bait but i hear enough jigs fans to make me wonder what the tally is. also how many out there are inspired enough to fish more than 300 feet for there halibut? its ridiculous how many people fish heavy line and 9/0 reels for fishing in 200 feet or less for halibut . not sure how to set up a poll but feel free if so inclined.

I always start out with bait, and if the action gets pretty good i will go to a jig. Also, if the action is good with bait, and then dies off, i will throw a jig out there, seems sometimes the fish want something else to play with. I don't jig if over 200' or if the tide is moving too fast
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

Jigs jigs jigs

It really depends on how well you can fish?? You must know your rod and how to work it! Haha I am talking about fishing. A good rod has a strong backbone and a sensitive tip.

I can say that once you get the jigging down and how to catch a fish on a "J" type hook, you wont want to go back.

Jigging is a blast.
      Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by motorboatn View Post
        It really depends on how well you can fish?? You must know your rod and how to work it! Haha I am talking about fishing. A good rod has a strong backbone and a sensitive tip.

I can say that once you get the jigging down and how to catch a fish on a "J" type hook, you wont want to go back.

Jigging is a blast.
        What motorboatn said. The only time I use bait is when I plan on letting the rod holder do the work. Jigs seem to out fish bait on my boat.
        sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Never limit yourself to one thing.... I love to Jig, Jig and more Jigging.
          But I will also bring bait to. There has been a few times (2 out of 10) that bait has out done my jigging dance....

I mix things up on my boat. I will put bait on for my a couple of people then put a couple jigs on the rest if they wish. And then we will go from there. We will switch to the hot bait or Jig.
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

Comment

I like a nice fat large herring (10-13") on a circle hook just off the bottom and I do a few jigs but bait seems to do just as good. Jigs are nice but haven't used them enough to really say much.
            "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

what type of jig

What type and weight of jig do you use? There are as many jigs out there as there are fisherpersons. Notice, we have to be politically correct in this new world

Comment

Originally posted by macushlah View Post
                What type and weight of jig do you use? There are as many jigs out there as there are fisherpersons. Notice, we have to be politically correct in this new world
                I use 16-24oz heads with 11' bone yard bait jigs. To me they hold up the longest.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

Comment

couple years back i was soaking bait on the south side of ellrington island with no results for about an hour. my girlfriends kid woke up and sent down a 3 oz dart on my salmon rod and as soon as it hit bottom he hooked into a 40 pound ling. i immediately threw on a 16 oz lead head with boneyard grub and it was on. ling after ling. no butts but we had a great time. the little dart caught as many as the big mojo with grub.

Comment

all

I start with heavy, metal 20 oz crippled herring, dropper loop with B2 tripple glow 20 oz weight, dropper loop with super mutu and fresh, fresh bait, then switch to whatever is getting bit more.
                    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
                    www.kodiakcombos.com

Comment

Jig

I have used with success a variety of jigs. But my most successful has been Kodiak Custom Tackle bottom fishing jigs. I don't know if the flashing lights on them help or not, but I like these. Bait works too. I always mix it up depending who is on the boat.

Comment

Jigs, and I usually put a piece of herring on the jig to provide some scent. The huge advantage to jigs over bait is with a jig so long as it is down there and being jigged you are fishing. Once your circle hook is stripped you have the reel that big weight back up and re-bait.

More out of ignorance than plan I dropped a gibbs cripled herring style jig in 450' of water, no bait, and hooked a halibut. Unfortunately it was ping pong paddle size so released.

And monster rods and reels, no thanks. I use a seeker blue lighting 25# 6 1/2' rod with a shimano tld-20 two speed, with 50# braid. I have no problem jigging it all day long, from 6 oz crippled herring to 24 oz lead heads. The most productive jig I used last year was a 14 oz butterly style jig. I use all styles of jigs, crippled herring, lead heads, etc.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

For halibut, jugs with a piece of herring stuck on. Because I always drift, I no longer use just use bait and stick the rod in the holder because that's a good way to find yourself either snagged on a pinnacle or with your bait way off the bottom. Besides, jigging is more fun.

Comment

8-16oz stinger jigs for me. I tip them with a piece of cut herring and jig for awhile, then let it sit a few inches off the bottom. I seem to get them to bite more when still, but the jigging action must draw em in.

Comment

my belief

If you use bait, don't put it in the rod holder. It is almost a fact that guys who put their fishing rods in the rod holder catch fewer fish than the guys who give it some more action.

I like the biggest size Spinnow they make. You can catch everything on these jigs: Halibut, Lings, rockfish, yelloweye, Kings, silvers man you name it I've caught it on a spinnow.
                              "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X