Flyfisherman Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyfisherman Magazine

Any one pick up the latest issue of Flyfisherman Magazine? Cool story on Char fishing above the Arctic Circle.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

For the few of us over in Iraq, what did the article say? Where were they talking about when they said "above" the arctic circle? How far above?
    sigpic
    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Comment

Walt,

What issue was it? I have February 2009 and I didn't see and article about Char?
      You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

March 2009

It hit the news stands Feb 4th and featured the best Char fishing in North America. The article looked atThree Rivers Nunavut, Ungave Quebec and Unit 23 in Northwest Alaska (Kotzebue)

Up here the rivers featured are the Wulik ( home of the state record-27 pounds!) the Kivilina, Kuggurorok and the Kelly/Wrench. Lots of great pics, good contact numbers. Nicely written and lots of tips for the do it yourselfer.

The author was one of my clients last summer and he hammered the Char when he came up in mid August for the spawning runs. His group averaged 15+ fish a day each with most in the 12-15 pound range and the largest was a monster at 23 pounds! We are talking fish boys!

Fishing up here can be done for a lot less than you think and you will have the river all to yourself! I hit the Kelly last summer and in 4 days we only saw 1 airplane that landed for a day trip of Char fishing. No crowds, wide open spaces and lost of great fishing!

If you are interested in finding the best Char fishing spots in the state drop me a line of visit my web site at www.northwestalaska.com

Walt
        Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
        Kotzebue
        Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals!

Comment

char?

I have visted the website previously. Great looking fish and it certainly would be fun.

I believe the char in unit 23 are all dolly varden. I used the interactive mapping on the ADF&G website and it does not list any populations of "arctic char" in the unit.

I will be sure to read the arcticle and post a response after I read it over.

I do not disagree "char" are present in unit 23...according to ADF&G they are all dolly varden. I always wanted to go to the Northwest and fish for some of the best "char" that are there.
          sigpic
          Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
          www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Dolly/Char

The debate to what is an Arctic Char and what is a Dolly rages and always will. If you refer to the AF&G web site and look at he category listed Dolly Virden/Arctic Char you will see the following

Arctic char/Dolly Varden 10 lb. 27/6 2002 Wulik River Mike Curtiss

The web site is found at http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...phy/record.cfm

Mike and his monster Char is pictured in the article in Flyfisherman.

You call them Dolly and I and the rest of the fishing world call them Char. I think of Dollys as the small cuz to the larger Char!

Any way come on up and chase the Char, best in the state plain and simple! I have hooked them in the 7-10 pound range many times and landed a few that will challenge the best Silver Salmon in size and with all of the color of the Char! I am still looking for that 20+ pounder and come hell or high water I will be on the Wulik this summer and try again! Stay away from my hole!!

Walt

Comment

Dolly/Char?

From looking at some of your photos, all I know that those are some really, really big fish. Char or Dolly, well the only evidence I see is that interactive mapping from ADF&G. I don't think they would publish such a mapping system separting Dolly Varden or Arctic Char without some kind of evidence, or research. Walt, does you company take care of the logistics of a trip to any river out of Kotz? Thanks for any info...

Fish On!

Comment

Yes on the trip planning!

Originally posted by bigcox View Post
                From looking at some of your photos, all I know that those are some really, really big fish. Char or Dolly, well the only evidence I see is that interactive mapping from ADF&G. I don't think they would publish such a mapping system separting Dolly Varden or Arctic Char without some kind of evidence, or research. Walt, does you company take care of the logistics of a trip to any river out of Kotz? Thanks for any info...

Fish On!

You bet! Trip planning and all the gear that you will need to put together a great trip.

My personal favorite trip is Wrench Creek (part of the Kelly River) and down to the village of Noatak. It can be done in as little as 4 days but is best fished for 5-6. Both Wrench Creek, the Kelly, and the Kug offer excellent Char/Dolly Fishing and can be done with a 1 way charter and float out to Noatak Village with a Bering Air flight back to Kotz. Saves on cost and gives you a fantastic fishing trip. The Wulik is another great river, a little shorter and it will end up in Kivilina Ak.

I work with 2 local flight services who can fly you into some very nice drop spots. The both operated 185 and 206 aircraft and charge between $600-$650 an hour for the plane. A 206 can handle about 900 pounds of people and gear. All 4 rivers mentioned are about 1 hour out of Kotz.

Don’t forget the monster Pike our area also offers. Last summer my son and I hit 15- 36 inch fish in a row and then we started catching the big ones.

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by northwestalska View Post
                  The debate to what is an Arctic Char and what is a Dolly rages and always will. If you refer to the AF&G web site and look at he category listed Dolly Virden/Arctic Char you will see the following

Arctic char/Dolly Varden 10 lb. 27/6 2002 Wulik River Mike Curtiss

The web site is found at http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/Trophy/record.cfm
                  I have seen this before. I agree. The posting leaves much ambiguity for a definitive resolution. Hence, I am sticking to using the interactive mapping to determine where the different species are present.

You call them Dolly and I and the rest of the fishing world call them Char.

Interesting tactic, I remain skeptic. Using the Verizon network as a source? I seriously doubt I am all by myself on this one. I certainly do agree that portions of the "fishing world" hold your same view point, however your gross exaggeration leaves me to discredit your theory. This is a good example of trying to support an argument with out any true substance. After all you previously stated in the begining of your post " The debate to what is an Arctic Char and what is a Dolly rages and always will." :confused: I guess you were refering to me and the rest of the fishing world aka Verizon network?

I think of Dollys as the small cuz to the larger Char!
                  My wife also thinks size matters, however I do not think she was refering to "arctic char" vs dolly varden?

I think you need to post a source less riddled with ambiguity before I can be convinced the species can be distinquished by sheer size alone. Show me the beef!

Any way come on up and chase the Char, best in the state plain and simple! I have hooked them in the 7-10 pound range many times and landed a few that will challenge the best Silver Salmon in size and with all of the color of the Char! I am still looking for that 20+ pounder and come hell or high water I will be on the Wulik this summer and try again! Stay away from my hole!!

Walt
                  Sweet, can not wait to catch some big Dolly Varden also know as "Char"
                  sigpic

Comment

I just picked up that issue of Fly Fishermans Magazine, that is a great article about Char. I also noticed a picture of a huge potential world record Arctic Grayling, according the magazine at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Holy Crap! They estimated the fish as being 35 years old. Thats older than me! Crazy Stuff!

Fish On!

Comment

Char: Fly Fisherman Magazine

Read them all.

My opinion has not changed. The articles read more like advertisements. None of them used any scientific sources for species indentification. The Defying Description section was the only portion that attempted to reference a source for specieis identification, and there was no mention of any arctic char in Northern Alaska. P. 43

Great photo of the dolly varden that the Colorado fly fishing guide / author / and all around great guy, Landon Mayer caught on his trip. Sounds like he was very pleased with your rental business and you expert knowledge on area fishing and hunting opportunities.

I did learn if you want to catch Arctic Char one should go to the Tree River in Canada.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
                        I have seen this before. I agree. The posting leaves much ambiguity for a definitive resolution. Hence, I am sticking to using the interactive mapping to determine where the different species are present.

Interesting tactic, I remain skeptic. Using the Verizon network as a source? I seriously doubt I am all by myself on this one. I certainly do agree that portions of the "fishing world" hold your same view point, however your gross exaggeration leaves me to discredit your theory. This is a good example of trying to support an argument with out any true substance. After all you previously stated in the begining of your post " The debate to what is an Arctic Char and what is a Dolly rages and always will." :confused: I guess you were refering to me and the rest of the fishing world aka Verizon network?

My wife also thinks size matters, however I do not think she was refering to "arctic char" vs dolly varden?

I think you need to post a source less riddled with ambiguity before I can be convinced the species can be distinquished by sheer size alone. Show me the beef!

Sweet, can not wait to catch some big Dolly Varden also know as "Char"
                        Jedi:

Not trying to pick a Nit picking fight here! Dolly or Char I will need to count gill rakers next summer when I am slaying them. All the same I fully intend to enjoy life and catch some monsters!

Care to join me?
                        Meet you on the Wulik!

Walt
                        www.northwestalaska.com

Comment

Originally posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
                          I think the 3 and 4 pound dollys here in Kodiak are big, but my wife always says they are small

Comment

3-4 pounders??

Originally posted by RastaHunter View Post
                            I think the 3 and 4 pound dollys here in Kodiak are big, but my wife always says they are small
                            I have never caught one that size up here. Really you average in the 7 pound range.

Comment

As a college student who is in the Fisheries Management field, although I think I only went that way because I like to fish, this Dolly vs Arctic Char debate intrigued me a little bit. Knowing that they had separate scientific names Salvelinus alpinus (Arctic) Salvelinus malma (Dolly) I knew there had to be some differences. I did a little digging and found this:

Arctic Char are distinguished by these characteristics: Spots usually large and less numerous; gill rakers on upper limb of first gill arch 7-13, on lower limb 12-19; pyloric caeca 20-74.

Dolly Varden: Spots round, small, and numerous; gill rakers on upper limb of first gill arch 3-9, on lower limb 8-14; pyloric caeca 13-47.

Now I know that no one is going to go count gill rakers; just thought if you were interested it might clear some things up about telling fish species apart in a photo, probably close to impossible. Got this info from a dichotomous key at http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/keys/questions.cfm.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X