Homer Lingcod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homer Lingcod

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good charter outfit to do a lingcod/halibut combo out of Homer? I've always done them out of Seward, but some outfits are limiting folks to one ling even in the PWS waters. If I'm paying to do a combo, I want to at least have the opportunity to catch and keep two lings, so since it's a two-fish limit out of Homer...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

it's a long run and doesn't open until july.
    most likely you will pay a premium for a ling combo.
    i would call around and see who is willing to do it, then figure out who you want to go with.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

A-ward charters

I would give Bob Ward with A-Ward charters a call. They have been in business just about longer than anyone. They have a reputation for doing a good job. Silver Fox Charters used to be very good also - but I have heard they changed owners and the quality has dropped.

http://awardcharters.com/
      How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Comment

Get a hold of Bone Yard Bait here. He does an excellent job fishing for them. They hold the #1 and #3 world record off there boat if I remember right. .
        Living the Alaskan Dream
        Gary Keller
        Anchorage, AK

Comment

These guys aren't out of Homer but he holds the world record ling.
          http://www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com/
          I've heard very good things about this outfit.
          In 2011, the United States military finally starts to enforce the no sodomy rule...

Comment

There are lots of charters in Homer that will do both halibut and ling. However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.

But ya can't go wrong with Award Charters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cohoangler View Post
              However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.
              Bingo. It will be a tad spendy and the weather is always questionable, but there is very good ling fishing around there.
              "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

I'm going to make atleast one trip out there. I might do an overnight trip to make it worth wild.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

Comment

Jim from Boneyard baits is a great guy! You will not be dissapointed!

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I'm aware it'll cost more than the regular charter, but until I get a boat, I'll have to pay what they're charging! I've checked out A-Ward's site and the Ninilchik guy with that huge world record ling. I sent a PM to Boneyard baits....I've also heard good things about captain Josh with Bob's Trophy Charters...I guess I'll see who I can talk into a full day of arm-tiring jigging and then start calling around. I sure enjoy bouncing a jig instead of bait anyday.
                    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Comment

Manns Charter Service

Myself, my dad, and a few friends went out with Mike Manns of Manns Charter Service back in '07, and we had awesome results! I whacked one that went 70 lbs 4 oz.:eek: Most of the other fish were in the 30-45 pound range.
                      Ryan from Wasilla

Comment

Try Ken with Poi Boy Charters, I had a good trip with him last summer. I believe the name of his boat is "Last Laugh" a great fishing boat.

Comment

For that trip I wouldn't go with a standard 6-pack charter. Seas can get big out there, and it's no fun in a 25' boat. I've gone around the bend toward Flat Island and had seas turn from basically non-existent to 10-foot chop, which is no fun at all....you have huge tides mixing from 3 bodies of water, plus the Gulf of Alaska storm swells...it can be messy. On the flip-side, I've also cruised out there full-speed on glassy seas and you could do it in a 15 foot skiff...very weather and tide dependent area.

I highly recommend as big a boat as possible for that trip. They are usually more comfortable and with more amenities for that long trip, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
                            Jim from Boneyard baits is a great guy! You will not be dissapointed!
                            Great guy. I have learn allot from him.
                            Living the Alaskan Dream
                            Gary Keller
                            Anchorage, AK

Comment

Originally posted by Cohoangler View Post
                              There are lots of charters in Homer that will do both halibut and ling. However, the limiting factor is usually the weather. The best ling habitat is around the Chugatch Islands, which is a three-hour boat ride from Homer, in good weather.

But ya can't go wrong with Award Charters.
                              The whole outer coast 'cept perhaps immediately surrounding Res bay is good habitat.But thats all Im gonna say.

ak4195

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X