Heading to Kodiak!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Kodiak!!!

I'll be on Kodiak June 29th - July 3rd. We'll be on the salt twice - but was wondering what streams & rivers would be the best bet for reds that time of year?
    Thanks,
    Olsby

Lucky you

Pasagshak is your best bet on the road system for reds that time of year.

The run in the Buskin usually peaks earlier in June - although it was pretty much a complete bust (closed season) last year - so who knows.

The Saltery River should also be pretty hot, and you can keep more fish typically, but you need to book an guided ATV trip or otherwise arrange transportation. The road is not suitable for standard vehicles.

That's about the extent of your red fishing on the road system. Pasagshak should be more than enough to keep you busy, and if you can get to the Saltery, even better!

Dollys can be found in any of the rivers and streams.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

We're planning a trip for 2010, heres the books I will read.http://www.alaskaauthor.com/
      www.MarkandChrisLundin.com

Comment

you might get lucky...

some of the locals walk out to the mouth of Monoshka and pick up Kings that time of year

enjoy your trip

i return mid-september...

rosenberg/florida
        "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Comment

Originally posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
          We're planning a trip for 2010, heres the books I will read.http://www.alaskaauthor.com/
          Definitely buy the book, I'm glad I did! It's a quick read if you're a fishing maniak like me, although you'll read it over and over. I'd also recomend the "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen. Two books that are a must have for us wannabe Alaskans!

Comment

I'd also recomend the "Highway Angler" by Gunnar Pedersen.
            I have that one as well and have about worn it out.........Gunnar is here from time to time. My hopes are to get an autographed copy of his most recent addition............would like to do the same thing with Mr. Rosenberg's Kodiak Fishing book.......you guys out there.
            www.MarkandChrisLundin.com

Comment

This link might be very helpful to you...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45811

Comment

search this forum!

You will get alot more honest info from this forum than those pump up garbage books!! They are paid to tell you to hire everybody under the sun and really tell you nothing special!! I live in Kodiak and was extremely dissapointed at the misinformation. Ask specific questions on this forum and get way more value for free than from people that write about it from other states!

Comment

Originally posted by dieNqvrs View Post
                  You will get alot more honest info from this forum than those pump up garbage books!! They are paid to tell you to hire everybody under the sun and really tell you nothing special!! I live in Kodiak and was extremely dissapointed at the misinformation. Ask specific questions on this forum and get way more value for free than from people that write about it from other states!

I couldn't agree more....good, LOCAL experience is the ticket! I'll gladly pay for a book written by a local, who has fished the local surrounding waters regularly (...not just for a few weeks out of the year, while on vacation from out of state!)

This kind of reminds me of that guy, Vic Vickers, who was running for U.S. Senate (R-AK)....he hadn't even lived here for a full year-- and was from FLORIDA!!!! Did you really think he was in tune with most state issues and the history associated with them? :rolleyes:

Comment

A guy named Hank Pennington writes articles for the Kodiak Daily Mirror once every week or so. These articles have taught me a lot abut fishing (and hunting) here on Kodiak. I am pretty sure the paper is online.

Comment

Originally posted by JimJimmers View Post
                      I couldn't agree more....good, LOCAL experience is the ticket! I'll gladly pay for a book written by a local, who has fished the local surrounding waters regularly (...not just for a few weeks out of the year, while on vacation from out of state!)

This kind of reminds me of that guy, Vic Vickers, who was running for U.S. Senate (R-AK)....he hadn't even lived here for a full year-- and was from FLORIDA!!!! Did you really think he was in tune with most state issues and the history associated with them? :rolleyes:

Well said...My thoughts exactly!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RastaHunter View Post
                        A guy named Hank Pennington writes articles for the Kodiak Daily Mirror once every week or so. These articles have taught me a lot abut fishing (and hunting) here on Kodiak. I am pretty sure the paper is online.
                        Hank is the man I'd like to fish with him someday... My gf's mom sends me clippings of his articles, he beats the crap out of Medred for sure... He's also got a bunch of flies to his name in the AFF "flies of Alaska" book including the halibut deciever and a couple crazy charlie variations for pinks.

P.S. I thumbed through Bernard's book a bit ago and it looked ok, not super commercial as far as I could tell but it was definitely written from the perspective of an outsider and didn't look to appealing to me, might be a good read if you were a tourist looking for another tourists POV. I'm not really one for people pimping out streams and lakes in their books, which just about everyone does. I prefer the old fashioned way of getting fishing information, that is go to the local fly shop, pick up a pattern or two and a hat and ask whats biting where, much more accurate than a book (or internet forum in the middle of winter). Mac's is the place you want to check out. Don't get me wrong I enjoy reading a good fishing book but I'd prefer the streams to be nameless for the most part, it makes it a fun challenge to try to figure out where they are.

Good luck on your trip.
                        I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

I just got through with 4 weekends of fly tying classes with Hank. There was only me and one other guy so we got through a bunch of patterns and just listening to him give fishing tips and tell stories for 4 hours a day was worth a heck of a lot more than the cost of the class.
                          ...cant wait untill this ice is gone.

Comment

Kodiak

If you never been to Alaska or Kodiak I would highly recommend reading the books. It does not matter where the author lives. The information provided is a good starting point for any trip. Information and knowledge is key in understanding the area you plan to fish, and maximizing your success. Also a lot of locals keep there fishing spots a secret. Alaska Fishing is my favorite book. The Fly Fishers Guide to Alaska is another good book written by Scott Haugen an Oregon resident and writer for Fish Alaska magazine.

Comment

Asking at the local shops is not reccomended by me. A good fishing buddy works at one of the shops here and makes a game of giving misinformation. He thinks it's funny to set up a wild goose chase, sell some obscure lure, or whatnot. People will do anything he says, no questions asked. I'll admit it's funny as heck to watch. Hang out at the fish cleaning station at the main harbor in town and see who is doing all the filleting. Talk to people, lots of locals are more than happy to show a good spot or technique.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X