blackfish recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackfish recipes?

Since this is the only thing I have caught recently, I thought I would see if anyone has a good recipe for them...

Panko

Take the fillets and wash off really good, have three bowls one with flour seasoned with Johnny's Season salt (or whatever you like), one with a couple eggs that have been whipped, and the last bowl full of Panko (You can buy in the chinese food section of grocery stores). Get your pan with oil nice and hot (don't burn the oil though). Take the wet fillet and roll around in the flour until dry with seasoned flour, then put it in the eggs and get it covered with egg goo, then put into Panko the Panko will stick to the egg goo and when its covered with Panko, drop in oil, don't overcook but when lightly golden brown pull out and let drain on some papertowels. Can't beat it, its my families favorite way of eating black bass and halibut, we tried it a couple years ago on some PWS Shrimp and it was great also, made the shrimp taste sweeter than normal. The nice thing is the Panko doesn't soak up the oil like other coatings.

Comment

blackfish... not black rockfish

i suspect that most blackfish recipes will call for whole fish, probably treated like smelt, or pickled... maybe eaten with seal oil.
      perhaps some of our bush members have some recipes...?
      Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
      http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Hmmmmmmm

Thought for sure I read Black Rockfish.........must have been asleep.

Comment

blackfish

No worries.. Think just about any fish will taste good breaded and fried.

Comment

I have not found a good way to cook them yet. We catch a few off Oregon while halibut fishing. I have tried everything but they are excellent smoked as they are an oily fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhorse View Post
              Take the fillets and wash off really good, have three bowls one with flour seasoned with Johnny's Season salt (or whatever you like), one with a couple eggs that have been whipped, and the last bowl full of Panko (You can buy in the chinese food section of grocery stores). Get your pan with oil nice and hot (don't burn the oil though). Take the wet fillet and roll around in the flour until dry with seasoned flour, then put it in the eggs and get it covered with egg goo, then put into Panko the Panko will stick to the egg goo and when its covered with Panko, drop in oil, don't overcook but when lightly golden brown pull out and let drain on some papertowels. Can't beat it, its my families favorite way of eating black bass and halibut, we tried it a couple years ago on some PWS Shrimp and it was great also, made the shrimp taste sweeter than normal. The nice thing is the Panko doesn't soak up the oil like other coatings.
              Just do this without the fileting part. It is the only way i tried, but you can pull all of the meat off of the bone after cooking. Most fish taste great after being dreged in flour, milk, cornmeal, and then pan fried.
              It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had a friend in Bethel that liked to eat them raw.

Comment

Surprised Nukalpiaq hasn't posted on this

From my experience, Yupik people (after catching them in traps) store them until needed, then just boil them to eat with seal oil. Never heard of them being processed any other way. They indeed might fry up OK.

(they make good pets)

Comment

done that....

I ate them dried and dipped in seal oil...It was an amazing laxitive...Good luck
                    www.graylightalaska.com
                    http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
                    (800)566-3912

Comment

I tried them fried by a native friend of mine long ago and they're not bad! Take the blackfish and cut the guts out with a knife or snips. Roll in flour and seasonings and fry in hot oil whole! Pop the head off or eat it, then eat the skin and fins. The bones are a bit crunchy and may stick in the throut so have some rye bread on hand. He dipped them in seal oil, but I chose to eat them plain. I was told that they would also catch and boil blackfish whole.

Comment

Originally posted by barleydog View Post
                        I tried them fried by a native friend of mine long ago and they're not bad! Take the blackfish and cut the guts out with a knife or snips. Roll in flour and seasonings and fry in hot oil whole! Pop the head off or eat it, then eat the skin and fins. The bones are a bit crunchy and may stick in the throut so have some rye bread on hand. He dipped them in seal oil, but I chose to eat them plain. I was told that they would also catch and boil blackfish whole.
                        My gosh. That sounds absolutely horrible. To each his own.
                        Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X