Questions on shrimping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on shrimping

What is the best time of year to drop a shrimp pot in PWS.And what are opinions of different baits you use? How deep are you setting your pots? How often do you check your pot? And how long do you stay in an area before moving your pot to a new location? thanks. dirt.

me first

I get to be first.

Try the search engine on this site - search for "shrimp"....when you finish reading all of those posts come back with the parts that you don't understand.

Now to answer your question:

Best time: When it is open
    How Deep: Deeper the better
    Bottom type: Steep and rocky

The only time I have done it we dropped in 500 foot of water with 750 foot of rope. 600 sinking with 150 floating. The bottom was flat and muddy. We soaked two times for a total of about 7 hours. Yield was about 3.5 gallons of whole shrimp. Spots and coons.

Comment

I have read about splicing ropes here, what is the best way to splice them?

Comment

Splicing the ropes together, or splicing loops onto the main line for the pots?

A basic marines knot book will show you how to splice ropes together, and there are also websites with pictorials and information.
        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

don't buy a book

Google rope splicing - you could read for ever on it and watch video's.

For my shrimping ropes I sent my wife a video of rope splicing from the www. She watched the video and spliced my rope beautifully. Slicker than goose S%$t slides through a tin horn.

She is now in charge of all rope splicing. Her hair is very long and she braids it a lot - so it was pretty natural for her to do the splicing!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtface View Post
            What is the best time of year to drop a shrimp pot in PWS.And what are opinions of different baits you use? How deep are you setting your pots? How often do you check your pot? And how long do you stay in an area before moving your pot to a new location? thanks. dirt.
            April 15- Sept 15
            Super Bait aka shrimp crack
            500-700'
            I haul every 2-3 hours
            When the catch drops off.

You need to stop by, call me.
            sigpic
            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
            alaskashrimppots.com
            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
            907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by 8weight View Post
              For knot & splice overload check this site out. I mostly use knots so things come apart easier.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
              sigpic
              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
              Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
              alaskashrimppots.com
              akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
              907 775 1692

Comment

I use anchor connectors.
                I have my ropes in 300 feet sections. This way I can add or take off rope.
                Living the Alaskan Dream
                Gary Keller
                Anchorage, AK

Comment

And they will go thru your pot puller?

Comment

And they will go thru your pot puller?
                    No when I get to one I just take the rope off the puller and re do the puller with the connector past the puller. It takes a couple of seconds to do.

Also this tells me how much more I have to go.
                    Living the Alaskan Dream
                    Gary Keller
                    Anchorage, AK

Comment

Pita

That would not be so timely when using a bouy tho.........my rope changes from a green sinking to a yellow floating telling me I am close.

Comment

for good eats...

Go talk to Steve aka potbuilder, I did, you won't regret it...

yes we cleaned em on shore that night it was late getting in...good times.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I saw two types of splices for splicing two ropes together..short splice and long splice, which would be better?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X