No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watcher
    replied
    I haven't had the chance to fish off a boat yet here. Always have wanted to bu never could afford a charter. Cheapest i can find is still like $600. Yea hooking up with the right people here definitely helps. Yea will find out next week what the chances are for me getting my dream and getting to go to Alaska. So I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• Big Jim
    replied
    Yeah, its different here...

but you gotta find the right people to "hook up" with. I fish quite a bit with a friend who's been fishing here all his life (shore fishing, boat, crabbing, diving, etc.) and he's pretty much a walking encyclopedia. He's got a couple boats and we get out on the weekends for mahi, ahi, ono, aku, marlin, etc. Without the knowledge it can be tough here.
    Can't go wrong with Alaska!!!
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• watcher
    replied
    Big Jim

I am originally from Colorado so we used to catch a lot of smaller pike out there and pan fry them. Always the best . I am stationed on Oahu right now and have been here since 2006 but hopefully going to Alaska for next assignment. My neighbor here was from Wisconsin and we used to talk about ice fishing for pike all the time, mostly cause the fishing here isnt the greatest...

Leave a comment:

• Big Jim
    replied
    Hey watcher...

I live on Kauai but am originally from Wisconsin and we used to catch loads of pike upper Wisconsin and in Canada. I've been to Alexander lake 3 times and caught quite a few there, my personal best about a 42". We keep the smaller ones as they seem better to eat (there's a slot limit at Alexander). Hard to beat pan fired (in butter) pike.
    What's your story?
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• fishin_ak
    replied
    Thanks for the recipie. I'll let you know how it turns out. Might be a while though. Not too many pike here in the big sandbox. At least not that I know of. A buddy of mine had a jar of the stuff he made and it was great. Not something everyone would like but I enjoyed it. I've had salmon once that was pickled and it was pretty good too. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• fishin_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by akshrop View Post
    Hey fishin, weren't you just getting on me for talking about Minto?????

Oh give me a call. For some reason I can't call you.
    I wasn't giving grid coordinates to the honey holes Shrop. And you spilled the beans about the tobasco sauce on the lures.

I'll try to hit you this evening.

Leave a comment:

• watcher
    replied
    Drifter thats awesome! I am currently stuck in Hawaii so I have been chasing barracuda with the fly rod. Hopefully will be there within a year though. I have a box full of divers ready to go...
    My neighbor was from Wisconsin and raved about pickled pike, I might have to try it!

Leave a comment:

• klickitat
    replied
    Here is how my Aunt used to do it. This will work with any white fish.

Pike or other white fish cut into 1" squares.

Gallon Jar or other glass jar.

1 gallon of water
    1 quart white vinegar
    1 quart apple cider vinegar

1 cup sugar
    1 half cup salt

1 large onion (I like two) sliced
    2 cloves garlic sliced thin.
    1 table spoon of pickling spice

heat water,disolve the sugar and salt into the water. Turn off heat when disolved and add onions, garlic and pickling spice. Add both vinegars and let rest while you pack a gollon jar. DO NOT PACK TOO TIGHT.

While brine is resting layer the jar alternating fish and onions until full. I also like a few hot peppers in mine for a bit of a kick.

Once the jar is packed then fill the jar with brine.

Put the jar in the refridgerator and 24-48 hours later the fish will have been turned opaque. It is now ready to eat.

You can adjust the spices to suit your taste. I have played with the recipe a little by adding hot peppers but for the most part like it the way my aunt makes it.

I hope you enjoy. BTW if you try this, let me know what you think.

Leave a comment:

• DRIFTER_016
    replied
    Originally posted by watcher View Post
    don't mean to thread-jack, but...
    Does anyone use a flyrod for pike? I have in Colorado and knew some others there that did. And if you do what flies do you prefer to use?
    It's my absolute favorite way to catch pike!!! I usually use Dhalberg Divers. As soon as the ice goes out you'll find me in 3 feet of water sight casting them.

Leave a comment:

• watcher
    replied
    On the Fly?

don't mean to thread-jack, but...
    Does anyone use a flyrod for pike? I have in Colorado and knew some others there that did. And if you do what flies do you prefer to use?
    Last edited by watcher; 01-24-2009, 06:08. Reason: edit: sorry prolly in the wrong forum, just saw the topic

Leave a comment:

• ak_powder_monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
    Legend has it there used to be that big of pike in Europe, but that is pretty much an old wifes tale.
    I read something about them being bigger in Europe on average in like an in fisherman pike fishing book... Weird

Leave a comment:

• akshrop
    replied
    Hey fishin, weren't you just getting on me for talking about Minto?????

Oh give me a call. For some reason I can't call you.

Leave a comment:

• fishin_ak
    replied
    You have a recipie you'd share for the pickled pike? There are plenty of pike in the 40" range in the Minto Flats area.

Leave a comment:

• qkayak
    replied
    Klickitat,
    If I remember correctly, you were headed for the Tok area. There's a bit of Pike fishing there. I am sure the locals there will fill you in.

Leave a comment:

• WaterWolf
    replied
    52" pike

She was big thats fer sure!!!!!!:eek:

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X