Pike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pike?

How prevelant are the pike and are they fairly wide spread through out Alaska? I hear a little bit about them but I do not see too many people who seem to chase them much. Also how big do you see them up there?

There is nothing better than pickeled pike. mm... mmmm.

Pike are pretty common in western, interior, and south central AK. I don't know about SE AK. I'm not certain just how far north their range goes, but I believe there are good numbers in the waters around Kotzebue. As for size, there are quite a few 40"+ fish out there.

Comment

Sloughs off the Yukon and Innoko rivers hold 30# pike. You have to be in the interior or west/northwest if you want a big fish.
      "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

The record talkers think the next world record might come out of Alaska.

My goal is to beat pike_palace to it. :eek:
        I'm Pro-Pike.

Comment

now that has me excited. I have not got to fish pike since I lived in MN 20 years ago. We only have the planted tiger musky here in WA and I am not going towaste my time for the lottery. Tougher to catch one than a musky in the filled lakes of WI.

Any how I was wondering about it because I would here a little something now and then about it. When I was out in MN my aunt would pickel pike in a gallon jar for about a week in the refrigerator. I could finnish off one of those jars in a couple days if I wasn,t paying attention.

Comment

Well...

Originally posted by WaterWolf View Post
            In 2003, a 40#+++ Pike (So it was estimated) was netted in Alexander Lake, measured, had some other biological studies stuff done and released. It would have been a new state record and one of the biggest pike every documented in North America.
            "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Comment

My record was 47" in a popular valley lake.
              sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Originally posted by WaterWolf View Post

Aren't there like 100+ pound pike in europe? Maybe there are seperate categories for NA pike and European pike, same species, different continents
                I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by AK2AZ View Post
                  My record was 47" in a popular valley lake.

Let me guess, Redshirt, Nancy or Memory.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                    Aren't there like 100+ pound pike in europe? Maybe there are seperate categories for NA pike and European pike, same species, different continents
                    Legend has it there used to be that big of pike in Europe, but that is pretty much an old wifes tale.

Comment

Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
                      Let me guess, Redshirt, Nancy or Memory.
                      Within that circle of swamp...PM me and I`ll fill you in.
                      sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Not sure of the weight but i caught a 52" pike off the Yukon a few years ago.
                        -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Comment

52" pike

She was big thats fer sure!!!!!!:eek:
                          I'm Pro-Pike.

Comment

Klickitat,
                            If I remember correctly, you were headed for the Tok area. There's a bit of Pike fishing there. I am sure the locals there will fill you in.

Comment

You have a recipie you'd share for the pickled pike? There are plenty of pike in the 40" range in the Minto Flats area.
                              " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X