Coghill Lake on the College Fiord Prince William Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coghill Lake on the College Fiord Prince William Sound

Has anyone any information on fishing Coghill Lake in July? If so, please give info on what to use for bait and how to lure the fish. What fish you have caught there and also about the sea fishing there? Also, do you know of a floatplane or bush pilot that would fly here from Anchorage?
    I'm just full of all kinds of questions.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:
    Last edited by Boogedy; 01-18-2009, 09:16. Reason: Change the title

you'll want a russian river fly with the kenai river twitch for reds. Pixees mepps or whatever for pinks. Also you should check the gillnet openings so you don't get out there during an opener it'll slow down the fishing for sure, although they can be a lot of fun to watch.

I would imagine you could charter a plane out of any number of places on lake hood but for the cost of that charter you could probably go somewhere a lot better. Probably a better way to do it is to take honey charters out of whittier
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Its a B&B place, bugs & bears
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
      Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
      907 775 1692

Comment

I'll second the second part of the second post...

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
        Its a B&B place, bugs & bears
        Even so, the pinks, dollies and rainbows were somethin' else! I fished the second week in July and had a ball. The pinks were so aggressive that you could catch them on just about anything. Even when you didn't catch one you would get them to follow it in to the shore.
        I plopped my kids off onto an island in the center of the river and fished right next to them--the tall grass on the river banks is no place for anyone in their right fishing mind. Keep a watchful eye and carry bear medicine of one variety or another.
        My experience was that there were so many fish that my kids got tired of taking turns winding them in on the flyrod. They preferred to throw rocks and dig in the dirt after a couple of hours--go figure! Here is a link to watch the fish counts. Just put in Coghill and start readying your gear for 2009.

Good luck!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...html/query.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by IceKing02 View Post
          Even so, the pinks, dollies and rainbows were somethin' else! I fished the second week in July and had a ball. The pinks were so aggressive that you could catch them on just about anything. Even when you didn't catch one you would get them to follow it in to the shore.
          I plopped my kids off onto an island in the center of the river and fished right next to them--the tall grass on the river banks is no place for anyone in their right fishing mind. Keep a watchful eye and carry bear medicine of one variety or another.
          My experience was that there were so many fish that my kids got tired of taking turns winding them in on the flyrod. They preferred to throw rocks and dig in the dirt after a couple of hours--go figure! Here is a link to watch the fish counts. Just put in Coghill and start readying your gear for 2009.

Good luck!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...html/query.cfm

Rainbows ????
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          907 775 1692

Comment

Rainbows ????
            My thoughts exactally...

Comment

There any Cutts in there? I could see where someone could mistake a cutt for a bow.
              sigpic
              www.arcticangler.ca
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

intruiging topic...I've heard of people catching rainbows on the coghill, but haven't heard anything else about it. If thats true, I'll be bringing a fly rod and some waders on the boat this summer.

Comment

I was at an AFF meeting and the speaker swore that there must be steelhead there because the water looks perfect for steelead, maybe he caught a rainbow and started thinking

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                    I was at an AFF meeting and the speaker swore that there must be steelhead there because the water looks perfect for steelead, maybe he caught a rainbow and started thinking
                    If there were any steelies in the sound i bet me or one of my buddies would of choked one by now ??? I ain't never heard of or seen one.
                    sigpic
                    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                    alaskashrimppots.com
                    907 775 1692

Comment

Boy that Steelie must of took a wrong turn somewhere. I never seen a trout in Coghill before. That not saying there in there. I will keep an eye out this year. Then again it's hard to keep an eye out with all them bugs.
                      Living the Alaskan Dream
                      Gary Keller
                      Anchorage, AK

Comment

If there were any steelies in the sound i bet me or one of my buddies would of choked one by now ??? I ain't never heard of or seen one.
                        true... don't you guys choke a few a year fishing silvers on the flats?

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                          true... don't you guys choke a few a year fishing silvers on the flats?
                          I've never fished silvers over there:eek: but i have caught a couple of snakey lookin' steelies fishing reds on the flats in may and june. I C&R'ed them (choke & release) but they were halfway through the gear anyway so they just swam away.
                          sigpic
                          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                          alaskashrimppots.com
                          907 775 1692

Comment

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, though...

I'd almost swear that we caught rainbows at Coghill. The people to ask for a more definitive answer are the biologist folks working the fish counts at the head of the Coghill. They ran my buddy down the river in their jetboat and spent a couple of hours with us, talking about deer counts, beach cleanup, pinks and reds in the Coghill, et cetera. Real nice folks and I'll bet that they'd be the best ones to ask. If you're going to be out that way I'd always suggest a flyrod and waders. Here's a pic of the kids and one of many fly-caught pinks on Coghill. Gosh, was that a good day!
                            Attached Files

Comment

There are no rainbows in PWS. Some are stocked in lakes near Valdez, but they are landlocked. If they were trout, they were probably cutts, as they have scattered and small populations through PWS. Seems most likely they were dollies following the salmon, though. It's tough to say without seeing them.

Verified this info at: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...westernpws.pdf

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X