upper kenai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper kenai

anyone know if the warm weather has opened up the drift from cooper landing bridge to sportsman's or down to jim's? I haven't driven up that way since before x-mas, so I don't know how much that cold weather plugged up the river with ice. any recent info?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Keni river still plugged

I drove back from Hope to Kenai on tues the 13, which was just the beginning of the warming spell, and the river was still frozen over in most places. It looks like the opening near Kenai Lake outlet has gotten bigger, but I think it will take a lot warmer conditions to open the whole river. There was some pretty good ice in there.

Scott

Comment

The ferry's locked up tight!!

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=12&viewId=6
      sigpic
      www.arcticangler.ca
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Yea gonna be a bit before it lets go and cleans itself out. Bummer to. With these temps it is like fall fishing or better
        Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

I hiked into the middle today and it was beautiful. If this weather holds out I'll be camped at rainbow alley in the next couple days....with waders and a rain jacket.

Comment

The weather has been niice for getting back out there. Who would have though today it would be in the mid 40's two weeks ago.
            Ryan Tollefsen
            Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
            Anchorage Real Estate

Comment

waded around the upper today.... WINDY! We had to find a corner that was a little bit out of the wind, and after going a couple hours with nothing but silvers, there was an hour or two period where we landed about a dozen or so bows and dollies between 4 rods. Most were in the mid-teens, and the biggest was about 22 inches. It was way too windy to fish at the bridge, but the temps were great... didn't need gloves or anything.
              www.akfishology.com

Comment

Roads

How where the roads? Thinking of heading in tomorrow.
                Caught and Released

Comment

I came from the other direction, but the roads seemed normal for winter time driving.... some slick spots.
                  www.akfishology.com

Comment

Great job Mark. I saw the ice went out at sportsmans and the water was flowing again. Just catching fish this time of year on the river is nice. Smacked a few silvers too huh? They must be getting pretty ripe?

Comment

1st trip of the year

Well, I finally made my first fishing trip of the year. It was a great day to be on the river, light rain and very, very little wind. Waded the upper Kenai and did fairly well...landed my first fish of 2009, this nice bow taped out at 25".

Did see some silvers that were pretty beat up and I hooked into something that wanted to stayed deep.....it felt pretty good, but didn't want to play long....Oh well next time.

T/L
                      Attached Files
                      Caught and Released

Comment

That is a sweet fish anytime of the year. Thanks for sharing and excellent job

Comment

Nice work Fishbone... you certainly picked a better day than I did to hit the upper. We had a real tough time getting a decent drift because the wind was blowing your indicator and line downstream at about 25-30mph. The only real effective fishing you could do was in between gusts. I tried swinging a leach so that the wind didn't effect the drift as much, but by doing that I couldn't stay out of the silvers. I couldn't believe how many silvers there were still around... they were actually really thick. Most were beat up, but they all had some fight left, and I caught a couple with a little chrome left on them. I think we would have had a much more productive day if the wind wouldn't have been so bad, but who knows. Thanks for the pic; I'll try to post one of mine from Sunday when I get it from my buddy. I love those pics with the fisherman standing on sheet ice, holding a fly rod in one hand and a trout in the other. Looks like next weekend might stay tame enough to do it again... we'll see.
                          www.akfishology.com

Comment

silvers enter the river every month of the year except may and spawn throughout the year, hence the various chromers
                            I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

The middle was windy too, and plenty of aggressive silvers. Got a late start and didn't fish long enough to give an accurate trout report other than a couple exciting hits. The dog even managed to find a few thawed out rotten humpies to roll in....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X