Thanks for the Whittier Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the Whittier Advice

Went out on Sunday to Whittier. I checked the forum here on Saturday to see how the fishing was doing down there. Someone mentioned copper vibrax in #5. I didn't even own copper, but went over and bought a few of them Saturday for the Sunday trip. I got up at 4:30 and hit the first tunnel opening over. There were only 3 of us fishing the small boat harbor at 6, and a few more joined around 7. There were a handful of jumpers, but nobody catching anything.

About 7 I hooked my first fish, a nice bright silver about 7 pounds or so. Within twenty minutes I had a second fish on, this was a bit bigger, maybe 10 pounds. A couple people asked what I was using because nobody else had caught anything yet. Within a half hour of the second fish, I hooked my third, which turned out to be a huge fish. I have caught silvers in the 15-18 pound range, and this one definitely seemed bigger. All three fish caught on the same lure - copper vibrax #5. Nobody else in the cove caught a single fish before me. Eventually I saw one other fish caught. By 8 am it got pretty crowded where I was at, so I decided the three fish were enough for the day.

There was a guy fishing next to me who kept getting really excited when I would hook a fish and would jump over with his net in hand to help get it landed. Very nice of him. When I left, I handed my lure off to him, hoping it would bring him some luck as well. Attached is a pic of the larger of the three fish I caught. At first I thought it was a leftover king, but as it turned out, it was a silver. Definitely some large fish there in Whittier.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Here is the pic

The pic was too big, so I had to compress it in a zip file. Hope people can open this.
    Last edited by jmg; 03-26-2008, 16:48.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Comment

Good catch. Ever do any shrimping?

Comment

Copper not gold?

I've never seen copper either?

It wasn't just the solid gold one? (my sons favorite)

This last week on the Kenai blue was the color

I was fishing with a chartruese and orange vibrax ThursdayAM and hooked two fish in about 15 mins.........then they quit but my partner who was using blue slayed them all day

talked to a guy at Ken's in Kenai while I was buying my BLUE vibrax and he said......."yeah they were hitting the chartruese and orange ones til yesterday but now blue is the color"

do these fish all get a copy of a script or something??

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X