Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Bay Sockeye

Any action in Main Bay? Any fishing reports? What does "cost recovery operations" entail as far as sports fishers having access? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

There are some fish to be had, but it’ll pick up over the next couple weeks. Cost recovery means the hatchery is harvesting fish at the head of the bay, on both sides of the seine net. They politely ask you to leave the bay while this is going on; it was fun to watch from a distance; the net they use can cover the entire circumference of the head of the bay. They make a big loop, and then close it off and pull in all the fish. It’s a pretty efficient process at cleaning out the bay. More fish come in, but it can take some time.

Comment

We were thinking of heading out there too. 73,900 sockeye harvested in the Eshamy subdistrict during this week's Mon/Tues opener - seems like a lot but I don't actually know!?

Per ADFG PWS Fishery Announcement #14: "The preseason cost recovery target was achieved yesterday, Tuesday, June 21." I assume this means the cost recovery is done?

Comment

Follow up to say that I called ADFG and they confirmed that at least for now the cost recovery vessel is done operating in Main Bay although they wanted to "leave the door open" in case they want to do more cost recovery later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike.Records View Post
          Follow up to say that I called ADFG and they confirmed that at least for now the cost recovery vessel is done operating in Main Bay although they wanted to "leave the door open" in case they want to do more cost recovery later.
          This BS is annoying! They've either met their cost recovery objective, or they haven't. If they have and then they go back for more at that point it's called profiteering, not cost recovery.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            This BS is annoying! They've either met their cost recovery objective, or they haven't. If they have and then they go back for more at that point it's called profiteering, not cost recovery.
            Exactly. It's not a hard concept. Did they recover their cost or not? Sure there can be a built in fudge factor due to the market, but if they've met their cost recovery goals they don't need to steal fish.
            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

Exactly. It's not a hard concept. Did they recover their cost or not? Sure there can be a built in fudge factor due to the market, but if they've met their cost recovery goals they don't need to steal fish.
              Steal fish.? More evidence of the dunning kruger effect, of which I recently learned of.

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post

Steal fish.? More evidence of the dunning kruger effect, of which I recently learned of.
                When the "nonprofit" hatchery does cost recovery beyond what they need to cover their costs it comes out of the pocket of fishermen, that's stealing. If you are fine with "nonprofit" hatcheries taking money out of your pockets above what is required for cost recovery I don't know what you call it but I'd certainly call it stealing...that's what I called it back when I was a commercial fisherman and the "nonprofits" stole fish from us.

You should work on your understanding of what the Dunning Kruger Effect is. The way you are using it, it's clear you're having issues with understanding what it is which is hilariously ironic (albeit a very great representation) given the context.
                I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Patsfan, I am not very knowledgeable about the hatchery system in pws. In fact, I am not a big fan of hatcheries at at all. I have to give a portion of my earnings to c.I.a.a. ,which operates hatcheries, but I would prefer those monies to be used in habitat protection and restoration, invasive species removal, etc.
                  But, my understanding is that main bay hatchery is operated as a nonprofit by pwsac. Just because they are a nonprofit does not mean they don't have expenses to meet. Prices are rising on consumable goods daily. For pwsac to not be certain of costs to run the Main bay facility is understandable, at least to a nincompoop like me. To leave the window open to harvest and market more product, which they raised and released seems reasonable to me. But what would I know. As you have previously pointed out on another thread,I being a uci drifter, suffer from the dreaded Dunning Kruger effect, whatever the heck that is. But I guess I don't get the picture. According to you they are stealing these fish.

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post
                    Patsfan, I am not very knowledgeable about the hatchery system in pws. In fact, I am not a big fan of hatcheries at at all. I have to give a portion of my earnings to c.I.a.a. ,which operates hatcheries, but I would prefer those monies to be used in habitat protection and restoration, invasive species removal, etc.
                    But, my understanding is that main bay hatchery is operated as a nonprofit by pwsac. Just because they are a nonprofit does not mean they don't have expenses to meet. Prices are rising on consumable goods daily. For pwsac to not be certain of costs to run the Main bay facility is understandable, at least to a nincompoop like me. To leave the window open to harvest and market more product, which they raised and released seems reasonable to me. But what would I know. As you have previously pointed out on another thread,I being a uci drifter, suffer from the dreaded Dunning Kruger effect, whatever the heck that is. But I guess I don't get the picture. According to you they are stealing these fish.
                    Gunner,

No worries. I've fished hatchery fish commercially, for personal use, and for sport from SE through PWS and out to Kodiak. The hatcheries in AK are "nonprofit", they were started as state run hatcheries but were later handed over to the "nonprofit" entities that now own and operate them. Nonprofits are required to operate under a set of rules that are entirely different from for profit businesses and are tax exempt, there's a lot to it but the basic is they can carry a balance sheet that allows them a margin to offset market forces so they have a built in buffer that they can carry over year to year tax free. If these "nonprofits" set a certain amount required for their cost recovery, going back for a second grab after they've already caught fish to cover their costs this should raise alarm bells. The fish they catch as cost recovery are on top of the landing tax they already charge fishermen like you, they are double dipping and then dipping some more by going back after they've covered cost recovery. It's shady at best and should be called to account.

I never said that being a UCI drifter causes a person to suffer from the Dunning Kruger Effect. The people who claim to have all the answers but very clearly do not have all the answers are the ones suffering from the Dunning Kruger Effect, the lawyers UCIDA employs would be another example, some of the people on the board of UCIDA would be another, the list goes on and on.

Comment

Let us put patsfan on the top of the list please

Comment

There is an combined goal from Esther and Main Bay for cost recovery. The total is a set number and CR stops when it’s reached. Esther chums is lagging somewhat and there is some concern that portion of the goal will be achieved, hence the potential to go back to main bay to make up the shortfall. No big master conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by kuliak View Post
                          There is an combined goal from Esther and Main Bay for cost recovery. The total is a set number and CR stops when it’s reached. Esther chums is lagging somewhat and there is some concern that portion of the goal will be achieved, hence the potential to go back to main bay to make up the shortfall. No big master conspiracy.
                          Thanks for clarifying Kuliak! I do like a good conspiracy theory though...

Went out this weekend, generally real slow with the exception of one drift gillnetter with a net full of fish. I'm assuming they were just using their commercial boat to subsistence fish over the weekend. Pretty clear their methods (and probably knowledge) were much more dialed than all us weekenders.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X