Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recreational Black Cod fishing. Who's done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational Black Cod fishing. Who's done it?

Who's done it? Electric reels, deep drop weights/rods.. Any luck? What size hooks and baits are typical used? Would like too try this some day.
    TIA!

Not recreational, but I commercially longline for them. Herring, salmon, or cod work as bait, but squid is the best. We find them as shallow as 1,200', but deeper is better - both for number of fish and size. Past 2,000' is ideal. Don't be surprised to pull up halibut, rockfish, skates, and other fish from those depths as well.

Comment

I started fishing for black cod using my halibut gear; I just swapped out the 80# spectra I use for halibut for 50# on my TLD 20II reels. As Brian says, if you are really trying to target black cod, you need to go deep, I have caught them as shallow as 400', but none of those weighed more than 2#, and were mixed in with LOTS of rockfish, halibut, sculpins,.. Even at 1000' we catch mostly silvergrays, rougheyes, and small halibut. We mostly fish 1500' to 2000' to get a mix of black cod and shortrakers. Terminal tackle is a high/low rig using 200# mono and 10/0 circle hooks. Last year a friend brought his sword fishing gear: Shimano Beastmasters and roller guide rods. The Beastmasters are definitely an upgrade from cranking by hand.

Big_E

Comment

Thanks for the info. 2,000' is a lot of line!

Comment

Yes, it is a lot of line, but with spectra you can still feel the bottom and the bite.

Big_E

Comment

Something I want to try and one of the reasons I bought an electric reel.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Grid coordinates or it didn't happen, LOL.
              Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

https://youtu.be/VWuVhWWKDc4

I always wanted to try one of these Alvey reef king or reef Queen deck winch reels.
                The reef king holds at least a kilometer of line.
                Sure it's still a lot of work to reel up from the depths, but fishing isn't always easy.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Don't bother with less than 1400' in my experience. I use 10/0 big cat circle hooks.

It takes at least 2#, often 3# of lead to get down. Unless you want to constantly jog your boat there can't be a breath of wind or current.

If you catch an idiot fish, eat it. They are tasty too.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X