No announcement yet.

Valdez report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our weather has been horrible. Seems like every weekend a storm rolls in to add to the rain. Small craft warning all this weekend. It snowed up top at the 4,000 ft. level yesterday and my heat keeps turning on.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Just spent several days out. Pinks jumping everywhere, everyday, but I never saw any huge concentrations of fish. Saw pinks jumping while heading out the Port, and while heading back in yesterday. A few days ago the seine fleet was hammering Pt. Freemantle, but yesterday they were scattered all over the Arm and through the Narrows. No silvers, yet. Weather was a little damp, water a little lumpy in places from time to time, depending on what the wind was doing.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Just got back, Saw people catching pinks in the harbor. Heard they were catching good numbers of pinks at Alison point and saw quite a few people cleaning pinks at the tables. A friend caught 23 halibut on Friday in an undisclosed location (one guy, private boat), the largest was a 185 pounder. We didn't do as well where we were (Charter).

Comment

I am going down on Wednesday and will update. Hopefully I can get into some fish and shrimp, kids were a little bored with this past weeks rain and lack of decent fishing and poor shrimping.

Comment

Caught some chickens, did not fish for pinks. Got a few shrimp, I was care not to be anywhere around the fleet and still managed to stay away the shrimp.

Comment

Glad you were successful. Friends and I went to Hich. and did well. Halibut seemed to like pink carcasses best. Still lots of pinks around to be had.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Nice Dave. I wanted to make it that far out, we are still careful with the kids the youngest being 18 months old. When its rough its hard for him not to run into everything. We have been trying to catch fish closer in. This was our fourth weekend to fish into the sound, we are still working on our learning curve for the fishery. We are having fun making memories. of course the trips bringing home fish are way more fun than the empty fish box. We will be back down Aug 1st. Tight lines .

Comment

Originally posted by Rope View Post
                  Nice Dave. I wanted to make it that far out, we are still careful with the kids the youngest being 18 months old. When its rough its hard for him not to run into everything. We have been trying to catch fish closer in. This was our fourth weekend to fish into the sound, we are still working on our learning curve for the fishery. We are having fun making memories. of course the trips bringing home fish are way more fun than the empty fish box. We will be back down Aug 1st. Tight lines .
                  Kids on boats are fun and hard at the same time. Silvers are starting to show up at Goose and Glacier Island. They should be much closer by Aug. 1st.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post

Kids on boats are fun and hard at the same time. Silvers are starting to show up at Goose and Glacier Island. They should be much closer by Aug. 1st.
                    Did somebody say silvers??? Bring on the flying chrome!!! I never did make it too Valdez despite my desire to break in my new bait caster reels/rods on pinks. While enroute I stopped by my favorite campground on the Klutina and blundered into the peak of a very late sockeye run (13-18 July). It hadn't fished well in late June as it typically does, and I'd just chalked it up to a small run. But no, they were thick as thieves this time around and pinks were safe and off the menu! Over a 7-day period I managed relatively easy sockeye limits and proxy limits.

Next up, silvers, preferably early vs. late!

Comment

I am hoping to get into some silvers, plus halibut and rockfish, when we come down on the 1st. I don't have any salmon this year and not enough halibut. Good luck to everyone. Tight lines.

Comment

Dave, I hope the fishing is good, I am coming down this morning. I hope to see you around. Tight lines

Comment

I just came in from 3 days of halibut and shrimping. Only a fair catch. Silvers are in the area, 17 mile beach and Glacier Island are the hot spots. Kings too! As I came up from cleaning the boat, lots of nice silver catches at the tables. It looks like the making of a good silver year.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Four chickens and a limit of Jack kings (glacier island) caught the largest ones on King Kandy lime green color-(prospectors), some on small herring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rope View Post
                              Four chickens and a limit of Jack kings (glacier island) caught the largest ones on King Kandy lime green color-(prospectors), some on small herring.
                              Two per person on those jacks doesn't amount to much meat but at least it's something. You might try: 1. Going deeper, 90-120' out on the down rigger. 2. Larger hooks or larger bait. 3. If you get into them, move away form the school.

I saw lots of limits of 8lb. silvers coming in yesterday. I've been fighting a ghost in my radar for weeks and finally called Garmin support. They said; Suck it up, you need to buy a new one.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X