Seward or the Kenai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seward or the Kenai

Ok, I'm planning trips with my 2 autistic sons(yea 2 seperate trip because they don't want to go together. The first trip is in June, Around the 18th. Would you charter for salmon to go out of Seward or try the Kenai? The second trip is in July, around the 17th, same question. We are trying to get fish to fill a freezer. I don't think the reds will be in that great in june for the Kenai- so I'm leaning for silvers out of Seward, the second trip the reds should be in the Kenai by then- so I'm leaning that way.

Thanks for any inputs!!!

Doug

Suggest you send a Private Message to forum member "Gone Again" reference Seward fishing. They have fishing charter business in Seward, and good people.
    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

if you want salmon specifically and not halibut i would think you would be better off doing a upper kenai river float for salmon in june then trying to get on a charter for salmon in seward. The silvers dont really start getting into pony cove area in seward until late june/early july. There is atleast one charter that goes out of seward only for salmon so if you were stuck on ocean fishing for salmon i would contact gray light charters, he used to be with cracker jack i think then went off on his own to do salmon specifically. If your with in the bay the limit is 6 silvers, upper kenai will most likely be 3 reds unless its a huge run they could up the limit.
      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

If you want salmon out of seward in June, your best best is going to be king salmon out at Montegue. They were in there thick as thieves last summer and historically its been a good run. Far too early for Silvers in the bay.
        In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

I would switch those two trips around - fish the Upper Kenai/Russian River in June, then target silvers and kings out of Seward in July. As others have noted, mid-June is too early for silvers.

Comment

We are fishing out of Seward on Thursday June 17th and out of Homer on the 21st for Halibut- was looking for a place to pick up some salmon, same thing in July 15th in Seward and 19th for Halibut. Trying to figure out the best option on both trips for salmon. I still have to weigh out on not overloading my sons in over fishing.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pyrohobie1 View Post
              We are fishing out of Seward on Thursday June 17th and out of Homer on the 21st for Halibut- was looking for a place to pick up some salmon, same thing in July 15th in Seward and 19th for Halibut. Trying to figure out the best option on both trips for salmon. I still have to weigh out on not overloading my sons in over fishing.

Thanks
              Russian River on the June trip - your timing is perfect. For the second trip, pay attention to reports on here. You're a bit early for the best salmon fishing on the Kenai in July, but there's usually decent numbers of fish in the lower river by then. The Kasilof might be a good option as well.

Comment

Flossing for salmon on the Russian? Are they silver color when they are in the Russian? Thanks for everyone responses

Comment

When are the fish in "Ship Creek" the heaviest..........??? That might be a in between option.
                  "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

Originally posted by pyrohobie1 View Post
                    Flossing for salmon on the Russian? Are they silver color when they are in the Russian? Thanks for everyone responses
                    Yes, especially during the early (June) run. In late July the second run fish can get a bit red, but the June reds in the Russian are really bright and strong on the end of the rod. It can get pretty crowded as far as fishermen go, but if you're willing to walk upriver you can usually find some space.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                      When are the fish in "Ship Creek" the heaviest..........??? That might be a in between option.
                      First half of June is usually pretty good for kings in Ship Creek.

The dates for the June trip sound perfect for fishing the Russian though! The reds should be flowing through Seward pretty strong at that time also for snagging, usually a larger bag limit with that as well

Comment

Agree with above on timing for silvers in Seward, better in late June/July in the bay and outer waters. I'm not sure how old your sons are but one thing to keep in mind is sea conditions and comfort level. It can be pretty lumpy outside Resurrection Bay so you should have a backup in case it's too lumpy. You don't want them to be scarred off on boating if they get sick. Kings in the bay are a possibility. Diane on the Florette C is known as the King Lady and fishes only in the bay so they are there but fishing will be slow. Her boat would be a nice comfy ride no matter the conditions though. One other thing the kids would love is black rockfish, which can offer some good action, but best fishing is mostly outside the bay. I hope you get your kids on some fish!

Comment

You could take your kids to Hope in July for plenty of pink salmon. If the kids are 15 years of age or younger, you can take them to Seward for the youth-only king salmon fishery, which occurs June17-June 30th.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X