Squid Fishing in Valdez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squid Fishing in Valdez

A friend of mine showed me some photos last week posted on Facebook of some guys taking squid a few miles out of Valdez Harbor (apparently inside the Narrows). I stopped using Facebook a few years ago due to their fascist tendencies so I won't probe around there. Anyone have information on this? How did they find them, what depth, what bait/lures, etc.?
    Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Rod123 was the guy fishing for them and maybe he will see this and chime in. They make squid specific lures for jigging for them. I can also tell you that they are usually deep. Jigging for them out there is nothing new. It has been going on for years.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

If I recall the details of that post correctly, they were dropping down to 800' and jigging every 100' or so as they brought the jigs in. They caught the squid around 600' to the best of my recollection. Would definitely be cool to try!

Comment

I wonder if the big ones are that good eating still?
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

They are most likely Armhook squid. (Berryteuthis) They are the best eating squid I have ever had. They are super deep during the day 100-200fa) but come up shallow at night (20-40fa). Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_145022[1].jpg
Views:	389
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2768080
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mallardman View Post
            They are most likely Armhook squid. (Berryteuthis) They are the best eating squid I have ever had. They are super deep during the day 100-200fa) but come up shallow at night (20-40fa).
            Curious if you or anyone else has eaten the tentacles of these guys? If I caught a mess of them I'd be tempted to try. Octopus, especially very small octopus cut into small bite sized pieces and canned in a spicy tomato/oil sauce is delectable. I bet squid would be also.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Any recommendations on jigs? Size, style? I would love to try this this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mallardman View Post
                They are most likely Armhook squid. (Berryteuthis) They are the best eating squid I have ever had. They are super deep during the day 100-200fa) but come up shallow at night (20-40fa). Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_145022[1].jpg
Views:	389
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2768080
                When you say "night", does that count mid-summer Alaska night? I'm leery of going too far in the pitch black of night, but I could see giving this a shot during the low light of midnight in June.

Comment

For anyone interested. I'm definitely going to add this to my fishing list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0T23R8KfnY

Comment

That video is pretty much all you need to know. I use the smaller jigs, 3 in a series with the one in the middle dangling (sometimes you will get them on the way down jigging). I line counter helps to figure out where they are at and get back to that spot. Before I had a line counter i would have a sharpie in my pocket and when I got a hit I would make my line so I could drop back to that spot. Most of the night fishing was in the summer here in SE. There has been some research on them in the gulf and they come into breed 3 times a year. Assume that is true there may be times of the year when they are not around.
                    I use the tentacles as butt bait but I have heard of guys eating them, just have to cut off the suckers because they aren't called armhook for no reason.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X