Hangback Circles for Silvers and Kings in the Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangback Circles for Silvers and Kings in the Salt

Anybody using them? How are you rigging them? What're your results?

fishNphysician, what are your latest rigs?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Not hang-back buy design, but SIL caught an 8lb king on 4/0 big cat circle that was long for the green herring. hooked it good, middle of lower port jaw.

I tied up a hang-back to try.

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
      Anybody using them? How are you rigging them? What're your results?

fishNphysician, what are your latest rigs?

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1103130

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
      sigpic
      The KeenEye MD

Comment

Thanks, Doc! I must have somehow missed your latest posts last time I checked in there. Most all my tackle has been converted to hangback circles now... I can't wait to get back on the salt this spring.

Have recently learned to tie the Nush for mooching rigs. Much mo betta than tying two clinches, IMHO! Sure wish I had known about it a decade or three ago!

I've no experience with hollow core braid, but I guess I need to learn that, too. I really dig your dope on a rope knotless loop. Does making that loop require a tiny fid needle, or...? Guess I'ii try to search up a tutorial on doing that...

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by screwcutter View Post
          Not hang-back buy design, but SIL caught an 8lb king on 4/0 big cat circle that was long for the green herring. hooked it good, middle of lower port jaw.

I tied up a hang-back to try.
          Last year I learned a quick and easy method of head hooking a whole herring that results in a really nice spin. What a revelation! No more messing with hoods, toothpicks, plug cuts....! Now I'm tying all my mooching / trolling rigs with a 5/0 octopus tow hook tied with a Nush knot, and a 5/0 circle that hangs free, about 3-4" back.

Comment

Rigged up a few more tonight:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	A0LSUb.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2765111

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
              Rigged up a few more tonight:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	A0LSUb.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2765111
              The big squids you put on your hootchie spoons is likely to kill the action of those Coyote style spoons at conventional troll speeds. Lose the flipper tail and go with a 2” hootchie.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
              sigpic
              The KeenEye MD

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
                The big squids you put on your hootchie spoons is likely to kill the action of those Coyote style spoons at conventional troll speeds. Lose the flipper tail and go with a 2” hootchie.
                Wilco. Thanks.

Comment

Here's what I'm having trouble understanding. Since circle hooks were designed to hook a fish in the corner of the mouth, from the inside, on a fish going straight away from the fisherman, and the hang back method is designed to catch a fish from the outside of the off-side jaw with the line passing through the mouth, (unless you bait the hook), essentially putting the hook at a 90 degree angle to the fish. It seems to me, that catch to strike percentages would be way down. Pictures of hook-ups that I have seen (from the DR.) show a very high percentage of very bad hook-ups.

Do you see what I am saying?

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post
                    .... Since circle hooks were designed to hook a fish in the corner of the mouth, from the inside, on a fish going straight away from the fisherman, and the hang back method is designed to catch a fish from the outside of the off-side jaw with the line passing through the mouth, (unless you bait the hook), essentially putting the hook at a 90 degree angle to the fish. It seems to me, that catch to strike percentages would be way down. Pictures of hook-ups that I have seen (from the DR.) show a very high percentage of very bad hook-ups.
                    I see that and that's why mine are rigged with Owner Cutting Point hooks-viciously effective if crazy expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by whalebreath View Post
                      I see that and that's why mine are rigged with Owner Cutting Point hooks-viciously effective if crazy expensive.

I'm with you, I see no problem with your rig. I love those Owner hooks and a few other Owner hooks. I think a true circle hook will be a problem for any other system than what they were designed for.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X