Valdez Charter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valdez Charter

I noticed charters out of Valdez are a bit more expensive than Seward or Homer. Do you think it is worth it? We are thinking of doing a combo trip in August. It looks like 400 to 450 per person for most charters.

That sounds really high but they might be, because of number restrictions only booking half the usual number of fishermen.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      That sounds really high but they might be, because of number restrictions only booking half the usual number of fishermen.
      I've noticed charter prices creeping up over the last five or six years. When they hit $350 it pretty much priced us out of the market. Valdez charters frequently run a long ways for halibut; often 50-60 miles (2.5+ hours) to get to the better spots. Consequently some do longer charters, so you get more time with a line in the water. Otherwise a straight 8-hour trip equates to about three hours of fishing time. Naturally you don't look at a halibut trip beause it's a cheap way to put halibut on your table; it's all about the experience. But you should go into it with eyes wide open!
      Michael Strahan
      Site Owner
      Alaska Hunt Consultant
      1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Nit sure what you mean by is it worth it?They get just as big of fish out of the other ports. Like mike said they have to run further. Call up Brooks alaskan in homer they will find ya a rug to pull up as well as some salmon. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
          Nit sure what you mean by is it worth it?They get just as big of fish out of the other ports. Like mike said they have to run further. Call up Brooks alaskan in homer they will find ya a rug to pull up as well as some salmon. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          I do think Valdez is a very special place. Totally unlike Seward or Homer, which each have their own unique aspects. Valzez is the "Homer" for the Fairbanks crowd too, as it is so much closer than Whittier, Seward, or Homer. Valdez has some good places to eat, great camping areas, a place to have your fish vac-packed and frozen, and even local trout fishing. Not to mention the drive through Keystone Canyon! It's incredible.

As to the offshore fishery, you've got really good rockfish and lingcod, yelloweye, halibut, and all five species of salmon. If you go in August you can see millions of pinks headed into the hatchery, too. And then if you want to try for them, you have black cod. And of course you have good shrimping there too. You aren't going to find all of that in Homer or Seward. Whittier, yes.

Not a lot we can do about charter prices; that's driven by the market more than anything else. You could always go with one of the rental outfits. Get together with some friends and prospect on your own for less money. Our pages on the Valdez Saltwater Fishery, the Whittier Saltwater Fishery, the Seward Saltwater Fishery, and the Seldovia Saltwater Fishery will get you pointed in the right direction as far as fishing spots, and those pages leave plenty of room for discovery of your own hotspots! I'm hoping to get a page together for Homer next! Could use a hand with that if anyone is interested!
          Michael Strahan
          Site Owner
          Alaska Hunt Consultant
          1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

I saw a post on Facebook about some open seats for $200 for today’s charter from one company. Call Easy Freeze or Valdez Outfitters, I’m sure they can hook you up.

like other said, it’s a bit of a trip to the halibut grounds. Most charters run outside Hinchenbrook or Montegue Islands which is a 70 mile trip one way. Lots of nice fish hanging from the charters the last couple of days.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X